Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Albion Dane: Custom Handmade Scabbard 7-5-10 Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Brian K.
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Mon 05 Jul, 2010 12:36 pm    Post subject: Albion Dane: Custom Handmade Scabbard 7-5-10         Reply with quote

Hello myArmoury community,

I'd like to show & tell my latest commission, a handmade scabbard for the Albion Dane. As my wife stated "pictures do not do this one justice", and I would have to agree. It's a really neat setup and quite a conversation piece. This sword alone makes one heck of a statement, and with a scabbard it completes the 'picture' persay.

Originally this was going to be made with a suspension system, but over some discussion the client and I determined to make a really nice display piece. We decided the ricasso should be emphasized, and displayed through the side while at the same time protecting the blade.

Enjoy and please feel free to comment, and if you have any question's feel free to ask.

Brian Kunz
www.dbkcustomswords.com
John Gnaegy

PostPosted: Mon 05 Jul, 2010 12:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mine! I'm really happy with how it turned out, great job Brian. Can't wait til it gets here.
Sean O Stevens

PostPosted: Tue 06 Jul, 2010 8:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Holy.... Surprised

Wow Brian... that looks amazing. Its a monster of a sword... so that must have been some work, its beyond awesome. Great job.
Keith L. Rogers

PostPosted: Wed 07 Jul, 2010 7:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Veerrrry nice. Keep that fresh in your mind. My crystal ball foresees you doing another Dane scabbard in the near future...
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Wed 07 Jul, 2010 8:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brian, Just curious about the choice to narrow the scabbard at the ricasso to match the profile of the Dane ? It certainly looks attractive but structurally isn't it weak ? And how do you deal with the leather on this part of the scabbard: It's not clear from the pics but it looks like the wood is uncovered by leather on the sides of the cut out narrow section.
You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Brian K.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 07 Jul, 2010 9:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

John Gnaegy wrote:
Mine! I'm really happy with how it turned out, great job Brian. Can't wait til it gets here.

It was a pleasure. I'm sure you'll love it even more in person.

Sean O Stevens wrote:
Holy.... Surprised

Wow Brian... that looks amazing. Its a monster of a sword... so that must have been some work, its beyond awesome. Great job.

Thank you Sean

Keith L. Rogers wrote:
Veerrrry nice. Keep that fresh in your mind. My crystal ball foresees you doing another Dane scabbard in the near future...

I've got one more ahead of you, and then you're up.

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Brian, Just curious about the choice to narrow the scabbard at the ricasso to match the profile of the Dane ? It certainly looks attractive but structurally isn't it weak ? And how do you deal with the leather on this part of the scabbard: It's not clear from the pics but it looks like the wood is uncovered by leather on the sides of the cut out narrow section.

The idea was to create an exposure to the ricasso on the sides, and the best way to do that was match the profile of the ricasso in width. As a whole, the scabbard is very strong, but the ricasso section has the potential to get the most damage if exposed to abuse, for sure. I wouldn't call it fragile though.

The middle of the ricasso section was carved out to allow for the leather to lay flush with the outside edge of the wooden core. This would accomplish two things; create a flush edge so that the leather wouldn't create a 'lip' to get snagged or frayed. Also to create a framed look, for aesthetic purposes to make a 'finish' to the flow persay, if that makes sense. The leather was put into place with adhesive.

Brian Kunz
www.dbkcustomswords.com
John Gnaegy

PostPosted: Wed 07 Jul, 2010 10:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Don't fault Brian for the non-historical nature of this one. The exposed ricasso edge, sandwich-like throat was my request but I had no idea how or whether that could be achieved. Brian figured out how to create it with the inletted section. It was Brian's idea to add the three wire wrap sections, which I think is really neat, and the gorgeous incised lines. I haven't seen a scabbard like this, and there are probably good reasons for that, but it shows off the profile of the blade. Just don't hold the ricasso section of the scabbard when drawing the sword, that would be painful. Happy

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Albion Dane: Custom Handmade Scabbard 7-5-10
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic