Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Help needed in retrieving a stolen late 18th century dirk Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Andreas Hartmann-Virnich

PostPosted: Mon 05 Jul, 2010 7:25 am    Post subject: Help needed in retrieving a stolen late 18th century dirk         Reply with quote

Hello,

This is my first post on this forum. I am looking for help in retrieving a late 18th century dirk which was stolen during shipping from Manitoba, Canada to Aix-en-Provence, France, at some point between April 14th and May 18th, either in Canada or in France, inside the Postal service shipping system (which has been of no help in any way and declines any responsibilitu, as usual). The parcel was delivered open, and the dirk and its by-knife and fork had been removed, but the wrapping left inside. Some odd facts lead to a slight suspicion that the seller never sent it and simulated the theft, but I have no proof for this allegation and don't quite believe it. However, the dirk could surface on the Canadian market as well as in Europe, most likely in a lfew months.

The stolen dirk belongs to a very particular series of nearly identical silver mounted dirks attributed to D. McIntyre, Kenmore, ca. 1795-1820. Three such dirks are depicted in James Forman's book on The Scottish dirk (1991/1993), p. 20, N° 18 and Forman's article on the same topic in The Gun Report, 41, n° 8n January 1996, p. 20, n° 1 and p. 22, n° 3. Another one, the Menzies dirk, was sold by Bow-Well Antiques, Edinburgh and can still be viewed on their website via Google, a fifth was sold on auction as former property to Francis MacNab.

My own dirk is in a slightly more damaged shape than these, but still very good. Some silver studs are missing and one of the suspension chains on the back has come apart.

It is highly unlikely that any other dirk of this kind should be fresh to the market in a long time. If you see its like, it will be my dirk.

I would, in this case, be very very grateful to anyone who could send me the link without alerting the new "owner", who might or might not be involved in the theft. I want desperately to get this dirk back, not the money involved. I would also offer a reward.

Here is a link to pictures and further information which I have posted on another website.

http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131258

Many thanks!

Andreas
Todd Salazar

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Mon 12 Jul, 2010 11:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I wish you the best of luck in tracking down your dirk, Andreas. I'm really disappointed to hear about the loss of your investment through ebay. I hope that it turns up soon and those involved in the theft of it are brought to justice. Sad

Thanks,
Todd
Andreas Hartmann-Virnich

PostPosted: Tue 03 Aug, 2010 5:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Todd Salazar wrote:
I wish you the best of luck in tracking down your dirk, Andreas. I'm really disappointed to hear about the loss of your investment through ebay. I hope that it turns up soon and those involved in the theft of it are brought to justice. Sad

Thanks,
Todd

Thanks Todd. I was absent and did not check the forum until now. Nothing new so far, and I am afraid that I'll never see the end of it, nor any justice. And I am still wondering if the seller has made this up all by himself, and simulated the theft when sending the parcel. It would be technically possible, probably with some kind of support from the local PO, located in a rural area in Manitoba, Canada. Maybe some of you folks lives near Stonewall, MB, and knows the guy (I would then give him his name).There are a few fishy points, which I were aware of and which worried me : the seller's excellent feedback was recent and exclusively based upon two dozens of under-1$-sales of a series of small articles of the same kind, and he has not sold anything else since the dirk. Furthermore, the 'volumetric weight' of the poorly sealed box when sent was identical to the real weight upon arrival without the dirk (whatever that means). Nor did the seller send me the promised bill, after accusing me - absurdly and outrageously - of having simulated the theft myself in order to get my money back, which I have never even asked for. I just want the dirk. But I have no proof, maybe these strange facts are just a coincidence, and the rude allegations consistent with the way of life in the said location.

Well, this is utterly frustrating. Thanks for your support.

Andreas

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Help needed in retrieving a stolen late 18th century dirk
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic