Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > My next from Michael Pikula/Volund Forge Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Tue 01 Jun, 2010 6:05 pm    Post subject: My next from Michael Pikula/Volund Forge         Reply with quote

Michael sent me these pictures yesterday of the latest project he is working on for me. The idea is an early glaive from the early 14th century. Basically I told him I was looking for a big nasty cleaver on a stick with a good thrusting point. From the illustration I sent along with a size guideline he came up with this.

Jean, I see you partisan and raise you this. Think we could hold a bridge between the two of us?

Chris Landwehr 10/10/49-1/1/09 My Mom
Scott Hrouda

Reading list: 87 books

PostPosted: Tue 01 Jun, 2010 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: My next from Michael Pikula/Volund Forge         Reply with quote

Scott Kowalski wrote:
Michael sent me these pictures yesterday of the latest project he is working on for me. The idea is an early glaive from the early 14th century. Basically I told him I was looking for a big nasty cleaver on a stick with a good thrusting point. From the illustration I sent along with a size guideline he came up with this.

Jean, I see you partisan and raise you this. Think we could hold a bridge between the two of us?

I would be looking for the next ford upstream from you two!

I'm become very taken with Michael's work recently, please share photos of the piece when completed! Can you share dimensions and weight (if known at this point)? What illustration(s) did you use for inspiration?

Thanks,
Scott

...and that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana shaped. - Sir Bedevere
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Tue 01 Jun, 2010 6:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hehe. We would be a terrible twosome wouldn't we?

Michael's work is first class and he is also great to work with. His communication is first class and he listens to your ideas and then gives ideas of what is possible and will work for your piece. He is a hidden gem that is really under appreciated at the moment. So I hope to get in a couple of more projects before the wait gets to long! Eek! I have no dimensions of the piece yet so hopefully Michael will either chime in or be getting them to me as he finishes the piece up. I will also see about digging up the inspiration for this particular project.

Regards,
Scott

Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 01 Jun, 2010 7:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow! This one looks great! Will this be mounted with langets? I hope so!
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Wed 02 Jun, 2010 2:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott Kowalski wrote:

Michael's work is first class and he is also great to work with. His communication is first class and he listens to your ideas and then gives ideas of what is possible and will work for your piece. He is a hidden gem that is really under appreciated at the moment. So I hope to get in a couple of more projects before the wait gets to long! Eek! I have no dimensions of the piece yet so hopefully Michael will either chime in or be getting them to me as he finishes the piece up. I will also see about digging up the inspiration for this particular project.

Regards,
Scott

Looks like around 24" / 25" inches long including socket just by the pic showing Michael holding the piece.

Yes we could hold the bridge pretty well together or take turns while the other watches the slaughter while eating fried chicken and fries with sauce and a good 10% proof local micro brewery Belgian Monks styled dark beer.

If they get too close or inside my point a little discouragement with my Cinquedea and alternating by feeding my RavenWolf by Ollin. Or I can grapple and snap elbow joints or break bones just for the exercise ...... " love the sound of breaking joints in the morning " ( To paraphrase " Apocalypse Now " ).

But seriously, looks like an awesome project. Big Grin Cool

Oh, just wondering do you plan on having a blunt and narrow false edge for a few inches near the point ! It could be fairly obtuse and not very sharp but a narrow bevel might look nice and I thing one could maintain the top reinforcement at it's maximum thickness as it it now but make the section triangular instead of square as it now seems ?

I just guessing but it looks like there is enough width there to accommodate a false edge maybe just 8" long near the tip ?

This would be a functional design decision but also an aesthetic choice as the piece would look good either way.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Anders Backlund

PostPosted: Wed 02 Jun, 2010 10:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oooh, that's nice. Really nice. I want one of those, and I'm not even a polearm kind of guy. Surprised
The sword is an ode to the strife of mankind.

"This doesn't look easy... but I bet it is!"
-Homer Simpson.
Michael B.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 02 Jun, 2010 11:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very nice. Ironically I've been collecting images of glaives and maces for a possible reproduction of one of each. I like this one. Seems like such a good idea, big ol' blade on a stick!
www.facebook.com/bearmountainforge2
Michael Bergstrom
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Wed 02 Jun, 2010 1:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tim Lison wrote:
Wow! This one looks great! Will this be mounted with langets? I hope so!

Thank you Tim. Though it loses some points since I decided against langets on it. I know they might be more historical but I was leaning towards a cleaner look with this one. Maybe for my next project.

Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Wed 02 Jun, 2010 1:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Scott Kowalski wrote:

Regards,
Scott

Looks like around 24" / 25" inches long including socket just by the pic showing Michael holding the piece.

Yes we could hold the bridge pretty well together or take turns while the other watches the slaughter while eating fried chicken and fries with sauce and a good 10% proof local micro brewery Belgian Monks styled dark beer.

If they get too close or inside my point a little discouragement with my Cinquedea and alternating by feeding my RavenWolf by Ollin. Or I can grapple and snap elbow joints or break bones just for the exercise ...... " love the sound of breaking joints in the morning " ( To paraphrase " Apocalypse Now " ).

But seriously, looks like an awesome project. Big Grin Cool

Oh, just wondering do you plan on having a blunt and narrow false edge for a few inches near the point ! It could be fairly obtuse and not very sharp but a narrow bevel might look nice and I thing one could maintain the top reinforcement at it's maximum thickness as it it now but make the section triangular instead of square as it now seems ?

I just guessing but it looks like there is enough width there to accommodate a false edge maybe just 8" long near the tip ?

This would be a functional design decision but also an aesthetic choice as the piece would look good either way.

Good eye on the overall size Jean.

I guess if they got to close for the glaive I would go with my XIIIb Michael made for me and then wing it from there. Maybe my A&A mace or custom axe.

I had not thought of going with a flase edge and at this point the blade has already been heat treated and I like the looks of it so will leave well enough alone.

Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Wed 02 Jun, 2010 1:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Anders Backlund wrote:
Oooh, that's nice. Really nice. I want one of those, and I'm not even a polearm kind of guy. Surprised

Thank you as well Anders. I would be fine with Michael making anyone who is interested in having one of these made. As long as Michael is willing to make more. Though so far he has not said anything about having any issues.

Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Wed 02 Jun, 2010 1:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael B. wrote:
Very nice. Ironically I've been collecting images of glaives and maces for a possible reproduction of one of each. I like this one. Seems like such a good idea, big ol' blade on a stick!

I would say talk with Michael Michael and see when he could get you on the que. As I said in my reply to Anders I am fine with Michael making these for others.

Michael Pikula
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 03 Jun, 2010 10:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for all the feedback so far! Just wanted to stop in and toss a few measurements out,

The socket is 6.75"
The blade is 18.75"
Overall it is 25.5"
And right now it comes in at 2lb. 5oz.

I am in the process of searching for dead meat to take a little bit more weight off without sacrificing strength but don't have too many more places to refine so the weight won't change too much, maybe 1oz. or so.
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Thu 03 Jun, 2010 11:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Glad to see you post and thank you for the measurements of this beauty. I am not to concerned about the weight of this as a little forward weight will definitely be an aid when using this as a chopping weapon from a distance. I definitely do not want an sacrifice in the strength department with this.
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Sat 12 Jun, 2010 4:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I once more had the pleasure of meeting with Michael in person. The result being that I now have in my possession this truly awesome glaive. Overall length is around 8 feet with a weight of right around 5 pounds. To say that Michael did an outstanding job would be an understatement in my opinion. Both the fit and finish is outstanding and it balances very nicely in the hand roughly a foot or so behind the head. With the drawing I sent Michael produced exactly the weapon I had in my minds eye. I would also suggest that anyone who is thinking about having Michael make them something do not hesitate and have him do it as quickly as possible. I already have another project in mind for Michael to make for me but that will not be until this fall unless the economy does a huge turn around.

Opinions and questions are of course welcome.

Scott

Tim Lison

PostPosted: Sat 12 Jun, 2010 6:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As always, beautiful work from Michael! He is a great talent and this glaive certainly affirms it! Enjoy your glaive Scott!
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jun, 2010 8:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I really agree Tim. Michael is definitely a hidden talent as of right now. His attention to detail is simply superb as is his understanding of how to make things work. Though I hear that your next piece is going to be something a little extra special! I cannot wait to see pictures of it and hear your thoughts on it. I know I will enjoy this immensely and hope to be able to show it off one day!
Tim Lison

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jun, 2010 8:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott Kowalski wrote:
I really agree Tim. Michael is definitely a hidden talent as of right now. His attention to detail is simply superb as is his understanding of how to make things work. Though I hear that your next piece is going to be something a little extra special! I cannot wait to see pictures of it and hear your thoughts on it. I know I will enjoy this immensely and hope to be able to show it off one day!

Yes, Michael does have something in the works for me as well. I will keep it a surprise until it's done though. I really like the glaive he made you. I'm looking at some polearms myself and it's nice to see this. Did you make it from a specific example or is it an amalgam?
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jun, 2010 8:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well I cannot wait to see what you have Michael working on for you! It seems the arms race continues between yourself, Jean, and I with myself falling slightly behind as my next piece will not be until late fall or even early winter of this year. Cry

The following is for both you and Scott Tim. This is from the Gaddgedlar website which I believe is defunct now. I also have a knife by Ollin based on the middle one in the bottom right of the picture.

Tim Lison

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jun, 2010 9:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice! Have you posted the knife and I missed it? Are you going to build the whole kit?
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Sun 13 Jun, 2010 9:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I decided to post the pictures here since they have disappeared from my original post on this. Matt and Mark did a really good job with this one. I actually received it the day before I picked up my XIIIb from Michael on Christmas Eve so it was a really Christmas for me! I need to make a sheath of some kind for it in the near future.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > My next from Michael Pikula/Volund Forge
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: