Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > A Call for Practice Partners: Upstate NY Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Tristán Zukowski

PostPosted: Thu 10 Jun, 2010 2:16 pm    Post subject: A Call for Practice Partners: Upstate NY         Reply with quote

Hello, all! My name is Tristán Zukowski, and I am a student of Michael Edelson through the NY Historical Fencing Association. I live in the Hudson Valley region of upstate NY (about a three-hour commute from my house to NYHFA when all is said and done). The purpose of this post is to find out if there are any practitioners nearby (Poughkeepsie, Wappingers Falls, Hyde Park, etc) who would like to meet during the week to practice with me. Some details:

- I study German longsword, so naturally this is what I will be focusing on. If you're familiar with the Liechtenauer system, great. If not, I will do my best to instruct you (see next point).

- I am NOT a teacher. Having said that, I will offer up whatever knowledge and experience I have to date, with the caveat that it will be subject to change as I learn more and my understanding broadens.

- We will not be bouting/sparring/free-playing/etc. I want to keep focused on honing techniques and muscle-memory through solo- and paired drills.

- I don't have much equipment beyond what I use myself; therefore, at a minimum, a practice partner should be able to provide a training longsword (steel) and a fencing mask. Hand protection is highly recommended, although I have a pair of lacrosse gloves that can be swapped back-and-forth depending on whose hands are being targeted (only for specific drills). My practice space is outdoors, so meeting will be weather-dependant. I have a pell for solo-work.

Questions? Comments? Feel free to post a reply or PM me.
X-posted to myArmoury and HEMA Alliance fora.
James Head

PostPosted: Thu 10 Jun, 2010 3:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

How close are you to Sandy Creek / Pulaski? You might be within range of Todd Sullivan and LOFNY.
Jim Mearkle

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Thu 10 Jun, 2010 8:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey, Tristan! Welcome to the site!

I suppose I could ask my wife if she'd mind if you came up and sparred in the back yard occasionally. Especially if we threw in some of Meyer's rapier when we got tired of longsword.

If not, see you at Todd's place!

James, that's a good thought, but he is closer to NYC than Sandy Creek.

PS: Upstate? You call that upstate? (Todd probably says the same thing about where I live!)

Jim
Michael Edelson

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 10 Jun, 2010 9:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tristan is being modest. He is looking to start a Poughkeepsie branch of NYHFA, with my full support. I'm confident that he can provide solid instruction to beginers and intermediate students alike.

Tristan is a rare commodity in HEMA, a truly dedicaded and self-motivating student who works hard and is capable of transmitting what he learns to others.

About NYHFA: Founded in 2006, NYHFA is a school of Historical European Martial Arts teaching the Kunst des Fechtens of Johannes Liechtenauer. Headquartered in NYC, NYHFA teaches a rigorous and fully developed curriculum that focuses on the longsword, sword and buckler, ringen and dagger, though we also work with the other weapons of the system such as poleaxe, spear and messer. Tristan's location has provided us with a unique opportunity to branch out and reach more people in New York State.

New York Historical Fencing Association
www.newyorklongsword.com

Byakkokan Dojo
http://newyorkbattodo.com/
Jim Mearkle

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Fri 11 Jun, 2010 5:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tris, modest? I mean, in my experience, he's not a braggart, but I never thought he suffered from modesty. Big Grin

Well, if he is trying to get some momentum going down that way, I suppose I should head down there instead. Hmm.

Jim

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > A Call for Practice Partners: Upstate NY
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic