I have very simple question. There is something...
Hi :)

I have very simple question.
There is something which just before the spearhead of the lance.

What is this? :?:

[ Linked Image ]

In the sixteenth century knights and some landsknecht tied foxtails to their lances and pikes, supposedly they have some 'magical' significance warding off wounds or something. But I don't know if they are used for some more practical purpose.
The one on the far right almost looks like a blunt. The two first one's I'm pretty sure are doughnuts for the long march.

All jokes aside, those are bizarre.
The image from Tallhoffer (Thott 290, 1459AD) depicts a complicated "inexstinguishable torch". It's not lance just the torch has a form of a ball on the long stick. It's not alight on the picture.

I cannot copy/paste trancryption and translation of this page. Its copyright protected.

You can check it here http://www.thearma.org/Fight-Earnestly.htm downloading full file from the link at the bottom of the page. Then check page 341, 45v (continues on page 342) for full translation.

The other one can be fox tails, can be doughnuts. I've no idea :wtf:
Here's the most famous example (Dürer's "Knight, Death and The Devil"):

Attachment: 189.08 KB
The-Knight--Death-And-The-Devil-large.jpg

Geez... That's an awesome picture, Sean! Imagine the work that went into that...

Just something about the fox-tails magically warding off wounds... It sure didn't work for the fox, did it? :(
They could have the added advantage of preventing blood from running down the haft...heard that someplace and have no idea as to its veracity, but it's as reasonable an explanation as magical protection.

Or we could go with my professional opinion: "dunno, must be of ritual significance".
Thank you for your answer. :)

Mr. Jakub Biblis wrote:
Quote:
The image from Tallhoffer (Thott 290, 1459AD) depicts a complicated "inexstinguishable torch". It's not lance just the torch has a form of a ball on the long stick. It's not alight on the picture.

You can check it here http://www.thearma.org/Fight-Earnestly.htm downloading full file from the link at the bottom of the page. Then check page 341, 45v (continues on page 342) for full translation.

Thanks. I understood it. :)

Mr. Nathan Johnson and Mr. Johann wrote:
Quote:
In the sixteenth century knights and some landsknecht tied foxtails to their lances and pikes, supposedly they have some 'magical' significance warding off wounds or something. But I don't know if they are used for some more practical purpose.

They could have the added advantage of preventing blood from running down the haft...heard that someplace and have no idea as to its veracity, but it's as reasonable an explanation as magical protection.

I knew about "foxtail" for the first time. :)
I looked for the source, but it was not found... :(

p.s.
"Fox" is called "kitsune" in Japan.
There are many old tales that "a fox uses magic" in Japan.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitsune
i heard once that the chinese attached bits of colored cloth to the end of their spears as a distraction. don't know if thats actually why, but it would make sense both in that and this instance.
It looks good! Thats my explanation.
Hi :)

Nathan Johnson wrote:
Quote:
In the sixteenth century knights and some landsknecht tied foxtails to their lances and pikes, supposedly they have some 'magical' significance warding off wounds or something. But I don't know if they are used for some more practical purpose

I foud same things from "OSPREY MEN-AT-ARMS-58 THE LANDSKNECHTS".
Quote:
p10
Adopting the customs of the mounted knight, the Landsknecht would sometimes tie a fox's brush or animal's tail to the top of the pike, because of an alleged magic healing property and the power of protection.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: