Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > A question regarding early 15th century sword suspension Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Artis Aboltins

PostPosted: Tue 25 May, 2010 11:07 pm    Post subject: A question regarding early 15th century sword suspension         Reply with quote

I am making a scabbard/suspension system for one of my longswords, intended to represent an early 15th century (around 1415) english style - and with the swordbelt/suspension I have run into sort of a problem, since there seem to be very few clear depictions on how the belt attaches to the scabbard - it is too early for the popular two point knotted attachment system like the one shown here: http://www.darkwoodarmory.com/images/Roman%20coin%20sword%201.jpg
It is too late for the wider "knightly belt" used in 14th century, and aside from simply looping a belt couple of times around the scabbard and somehow fixing it that way there seems to be a rather few options - most funerary brasses are of little help since they show swords hanging vertically by the knights side and without much detail.
Any suggestions?
Bryce Felperin

PostPosted: Wed 26 May, 2010 10:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

From personal experience I find you need three point suspension for later long swords. Usually two straps with a third to the front of the belt on the torso front. This stabilizes the scabbard to the body better, eliminates sideways movement of the scabbard and allows easier reach and draw.
Artis Aboltins

PostPosted: Wed 26 May, 2010 10:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, the thing is, in the period images there appears to be no three-point attachemnt system visiable at that time - from the second half of 15th century onwards there are several diferent such, but at this time... none.

In the end I went with simplified knot system - some of the brasses can, perharps, be interpreted as having one knot as part of the suspension system - so once I am fully done with the handle of the sword I will post pics of the solution I came up with.
Artis Aboltins

PostPosted: Thu 27 May, 2010 7:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

So, as promissed, there is finished scabbard and suspension. Like I said earlier, I used the simplified version of knotted suspension system using single belt, and, I must say, I was surprised as how comfortable it feels when worn - sword hangs at a slight angle when worn and is easilly drawn and replaced and while walking presents no problems. IN a few days I am heading for a reenactment event and I will be wearing it during the event so I will try to get some decent pictures of how it looks like when worn.
One more thing - I am yet undecided as to add scabbard chape or not, and will leave that decision for a while as I can always ad it if I will feel inclined so.

Attachment: 129.56 KB
type XVII_resized.jpg

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > A question regarding early 15th century sword suspension
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic