Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Swords from Pavel Marek's workshop Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Alen L

PostPosted: Thu 20 May, 2010 4:01 am    Post subject: Swords from Pavel Marek's workshop         Reply with quote

First thing first.

Hello everyone. Happy

Now, onto the topic: i am very much interested in purchasing one of Pavel Marek's swords. He seems to be rather unknown, or at least i could not find many reviews of his works, but those that I have have been very positive. Now, this is the sword i am interested in:

http://www.armorymarek.com/public/default/use...rd/aaa.jpg

It looks beautiful, i've had experience with the steel used and am happy with it, and the complex guard does not seem like it'd be getting in the way of anything, which I also approve of. It's 135cm long, 100cm being the blade, which is almost perfect for me (doing the Meyer's fechtbuch). The price is also very reasonable, that is 240 eur

I am sure that by now you can see I am sorely tempted to buy this sword. However, i haven't held any of his works before, so i can't really tell if the sword'll be good or not. Also, the main reason for my still not ordering the sword is that the crossguard is made of iron.

So, the questions would be:

Has anyone held any of his swords before and if so, how do they handle?

And do you think that the iron crossguard would be problematic?
Christopher H

PostPosted: Thu 20 May, 2010 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: Swords from Pavel Marek's workshop         Reply with quote

Alen L wrote:

If I'm interpreting this page correctly, iron isn't that much different to mild steel, which is what most other hilt furniture is made from... http://www.wake.com/alloys.htm
Might be better to wait on the smiths, though!

What kind of problems were you envisioning?
Alen L

PostPosted: Thu 20 May, 2010 6:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply

I'm mostly worried that the ricasso won't hold up if it gets a couple of serious blows, which I think will happen during training, which would be troublesome. The sword i have currently has had its crossguard (simple) curved downwards, which made it very uncomfortable to wield, as the crossguard now rested entirely on the thumb part of my hand and much of the vibrations were transferred to it. I've had my thumb broken by a basketball and the vibrations started to hurt. That wasn't much of a problem, really, since it's rather easily curved back up, but i do wonder how much force that ricasso can take. Honestly, I'm afraid it might break off after it has seen some use.
Andreas Auer

Reading list: 11 books

PostPosted: Thu 20 May, 2010 6:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

hi Alen!

i held a few of his pieces in hand...i absolutely see no problem with his work...His swords are sturdy and reliably, you just have to tell him the weight you want your sword, otherwise they tend to be a tad heavy.

Andreas

The secret is,
to keep that pointy end thingy away from you...
JG Elmslie
Industry Professional

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Thu 20 May, 2010 2:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

given the website also states that "The armour is manufactured from sheet iron," given how insanely hard it is to get hold of actual iron nowadays, I'm rather suspecting that its a simple mistranslation, and "iron" is meaning low-carbon steel. (ie, mild steel, 1005series/EN1 spec) rather than specific high carbon spring steels.

If it is a mistranslation, it should'nt have any problems unless you're really abusing it.
Alen L

PostPosted: Thu 20 May, 2010 2:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Awesome, that settles it then, i'm gonna get myself a new sword. Happy

As soon as i get it, I'll be sure to post some info on how it handles and the like. Thank you all for the information!
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 20 May, 2010 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Swords from Pavel Marek's workshop         Reply with quote

Alen L wrote:

Many historical swords have iron guards and pommels and they held up as well as they were intended to hold up. Happy

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Alen L

PostPosted: Thu 20 May, 2010 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Swords from Pavel Marek's workshop         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Alen L wrote:

Many historical swords have iron guards and pommels and they held up as well as they were intended to hold up. Happy

Yes, i realize that, i was worried about the ricasso structure, since it is somewhat thinner that the actual crossguard.
A.A. Boskaljon

PostPosted: Tue 25 May, 2010 11:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I own a messer made by pavel. His longswords are just a little heavy for me. I think the weight is to much to the front but thats just what I don't like.

Anyway, great weapons for that price.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Swords from Pavel Marek's workshop
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic