Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New heater shield! Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Wed 12 May, 2010 4:39 pm    Post subject: New heater shield!         Reply with quote

I feel bad about taking a little longer then anticipated in posting this. I especially feel bad because I told Allan I would have something posted by Sunday night. Worried

Enough of that. Here are two pictures. Ignore the quality please, I had to take them inside today since Chicago weather has been overcast for almost a week now. Sad

First off, let me say that dealing with Allan was a pleasure in regards to the shield. If anyone is thinking about ordering ashieldd from Allan and having them do some heraldry work, do it. The price isextrememlyy reasonable and the results look really great in person. It is a service I am more then likely going to be using agin when next I order another shield. For the curious, the device is the O'Brien family which I have a little, very little, bit of blood flowing through the veins.

The fit and finish are what I have come to expect from the Mercenary's Tailor. Very business like and well put together. Nothing super fancy butdefinitelyy useable. I think what strikes me the most about the shield is how light it feels when on the arm. I have not done any extended time wearing it as I am still working on getting all the strapping set up, especially the guige. Elling, if you read this how long do you have the guige on your kite shield. I have it short right now and am thinking of making it longer so that I can hang it on my back for two handed weaponusagee when desired or needed.

Scott

Chris Landwehr 10/10/49-1/1/09 My Mom
Sam Gordon Campbell

PostPosted: Thu 13 May, 2010 3:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looks oh so sweet! Big Grin
Member of Australia's Stoccata School of Defence since 2008.
Host of Crash Course HEMA.
Founder of The Van Dieman's Land Stage Gladiators.
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Thu 13 May, 2010 5:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you Sam. As I said, Allan and his group do a great job of making thier stuff for a very reasonable price. This is now the fourth item that I have ordered from them with a set of gauntlets that will hopefully be here by the end of this week!
Juan Cocinas

PostPosted: Thu 13 May, 2010 10:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Beautiful shield sir! Looking at the second photo, It appears that you have two grip choices. Would that be 1)horizontal for dismounted combat and 2)slightly angled for mounted usage?
"Resist your time- take a foothold outside it." Lord Acton
Nathan Gilleland

PostPosted: Thu 13 May, 2010 11:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Juan,

I would be more likely to use it the other way around. Horizontal for horseback so that you can keep the shield in a more upright position while holding the reigns, and angled for dismounted combat. having the angled grip allows for a more comfortable, "boxer's pose", which allows me to block attacks with less effort. That could be an SCA development though.

Love the coat of arms! Allen does amazing work every time. My dream kit would include full-plate armour from Mercenary Tailor, a sword from Albion, and a scabbard from DBK. Curse the limitations of my budget! WTF?!

Seek Honor before Wealth,
Truth before Honor,
God Before all
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Thu 13 May, 2010 12:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Gilleland wrote:

Love the coat of arms! Allen does amazing work every time. My dream kit would include full-plate armour from Mercenary Tailor, a sword from Albion, and a scabbard from DBK. Curse the limitations of my budget! WTF?!

Thank you Nathan. I guess I am lucky in almost having two out of the three you mentioned in hand. I say almost because I already own an Albion and am awaiting a DBK scabbard for it! Though the armor for me would be late mail to early transitional.

Last edited by Scott Kowalski on Thu 13 May, 2010 4:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
Jeff A. Arbogast

PostPosted: Thu 13 May, 2010 2:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A handsome shield, Scott. I like the detail work on the lions and the way they reduce in size down the shield. Nice touch.
Don't scratch it! Wink

A man's nose is his castle-and his finger is a mighty sword that he may wield UNHINDERED!
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Thu 13 May, 2010 4:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you Jeff. The detail is even better in person on the lions. I agree that the reduction in size is a nice touch. The best part, Allan and gang did it without me having to ask. Of course it wasn't something that I had thought of so I am really glad they did. Happy It has already fallen onto the facing in my family room. Luckily it is carpeted as can be seen in the pictures. I am tempted to buy a second unpainted one to bash around with. Not sure yet on that one yet though. There are other pieces that I want to get before I do that.
Brandt Giese

PostPosted: Fri 14 May, 2010 11:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looks great! I am looking to have a shield made however The last quote I received was 800.00. Who is Allen and where can I get a good quality historically accurate shield with my coat of arms around 13th-14th century?
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Fri 14 May, 2010 11:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brandt Giese wrote:
Looks great! I am looking to have a shield made however The last quote I received was 800.00. Who is Allen and where can I get a good quality historically accurate shield with my coat of arms around 13th-14th century?

Thank you Brandt though all I can take credit for is sending the device to Allan. Whom, by the way, is the boss at Mercenary's Tailor. You can find the link to their site on the links page here on myArmoury. I would either send Allan an email or PM him here as he does post here with some frequency. I can tell you that the cost shipped to my house was under half what you were quoted.

Hope this helps,
Scott

Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Fri 14 May, 2010 7:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brandt Giese wrote:

Just to make it easy. Wink Laughing Out Loud

http://www.merctailor.com/catalog/index.php?c...ibuq5vd1j3

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Brandt Giese

PostPosted: Fri 14 May, 2010 8:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ok yes I am new to this. I have found Albion and DBK to be worth every penny and if I am going to lay down another grand I would like to have some reference to quality and historical accuracy. My question is two part. One where can I have one made and 2 hopefully for less.
Zac Evans

PostPosted: Sat 15 May, 2010 4:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Why not make one? It'll be cheaper and you can make it to your exact measurements. Most makers make their shields out of plywood as well, which is strong, but heavy and inauthentic. To be honest the only way you're going to get an authentic one for the money you want to spend is to make it yourself.

Having said that, I do own a pre-made plywood shield for a second period I do, and it holds up well in fighting etc. so it depends what you want. If you're going to be doing a lot of fighting with it and don't have the time to make one, then it looks like the Merc Tailor ones have good reviews. You just wouldn't be able to claim full authenticity if they are made of plywood.
Jeff A. Arbogast

PostPosted: Sat 15 May, 2010 6:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Zac Evans wrote:
Why not make one? It'll be cheaper and you can make it to your exact measurements. Most makers make their shields out of plywood as well, which is strong, but heavy and inauthentic. To be honest the only way you're going to get an authentic one for the money you want to spend is to make it yourself.

Having said that, I do own a pre-made plywood shield for a second period I do, and it holds up well in fighting etc. so it depends what you want. If you're going to be doing a lot of fighting with it and don't have the time to make one, then it looks like the Merc Tailor ones have good reviews. You just wouldn't be able to claim full authenticity if they are made of plywood.

I have a shield from The Mercenary's tailor and I was never concerned about 100% authenticity regarding it's interior construction, and I couldn't be more pleased with it. If I was, the paints would be made from scratch using period dyes, the metal would be hand-forged and shaped, The leather would be flayed, shaped, cut, and glued with all period methods, and the wood frame would be cut, shaped, dried, etc. the same way and so on, all at enormous and frankly, absurd costs. We all do the best we can with what we can afford, and I personally think that The Mercenary's Tailor gives you a darn nice shield at a very fair price with about as much authenticity as one can reasonably expect without spending a fortune. I don't find it heavy at all either. I'm sure Scott knew what it was made of when he ordered it. The plywood is completely covered anyway, and everything that IS exposed is as authentic as you are likely to get, right down to handmade nails, and at an affordable price. And to top it all off, the artwork is stellar. What more could a 21st century medieval enthusiast want?

A man's nose is his castle-and his finger is a mighty sword that he may wield UNHINDERED!

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New heater shield!
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic