Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

I love the color and simplicity!
Here are some final pics and one pic showing the Cinquedea in context of how big it is next to a full wide shot of Michael holding it.

Here are some starts that Michael sent me:

weight: 2lb. 3oz.
blade length to tip of guard: 17 5/8"
blade width: 3 1/2"
blade width prior to point: 1 1/8"
Overall length: 24 1/4"
Balancing point: Right about where the tips of the guard end.

To say that I'm pleased would be an understatement. :D :cool:

Should be shipping Monday. :)

Quote:
E-mail from Michael: " The blade really feels wonderful in the hand. It has enough of a presence to let you know it is there and do some brutal work if needed, but still feels pretty lively and active. I know I wouldn't want to be attacked by it "

Attachment: 199.93 KB
000_0199.JPG

Attachment: 162.45 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 215.11 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 184.18 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 181.68 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 176.7 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 171.23 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 172.01 KB
[ Download ]
Jean, I have to say, it seems like you get all the cool toys...and you don't even wait for Christmas to get them!!! :D
Seriously Jean (and Michael)... that looks great. Really quite a nice presentation there. I particularly like the blade details.
Nathan Robinson wrote:
Seriously Jean (and Michael)... that looks great. Really quite a nice presentation there. I particularly like the blade details.

I am not sure what I can add to what Nathan has already said except +1!
Joe Fults wrote:
Jean, I have to say, it seems like you get all the cool toys...and you don't even wait for Christmas to get them!!! :D

Well if you want to order one like it from Michael I don't mind at all and Michael can take as many orders for it or similar ones as he wants. Although I don't know how many of anything Michael would want to make as he may prefer some variety in what he makes rather than churning out copies of the same work. But I think he might not mind many a few and anyone wanting a very similar Cinquedea might have specific ideas that would make it different, like different fuller pattern or hilt furniture style.
The Cinquedea has been shipped and the obsessive logging into the Tracking " deathwatch " is in progress. ;) :p :lol: :cool:

Click ...... 30 seconds later Click ....... repeat a dozen times a day for the 5 to 10 days it usually takes to clear customs and get here.
Well it finally got here and I was home to receive it: AMAZING handling and the handle " flaw " I would never have noticed if he hadn't mentioned it. ( Small flaw in the wood Michael felt duty bound to mention but it's so insignificant as to be almost invisible unless one has been told what to look for: Just mentioning it as it reflex well on Michael's integrity as he could just have not mentioned it before shipping and getting my approval on it ..... I'm sure he would have rebuilt the handle if it had been an issue with me).

I really like the small dimensions of the handle as it seems to make it easy to move the hand on the handle in a very fluid way. The pommel has a great organic feel in it's subtle roundness of the bevels and feels so good in the hand as to be hard to describe.

The handling is both authoritative and very feather like as it seems to want to float in the hand. Enough presence for a powerful cut, but in spite of it's very wide blade it handles like a 12" dagger and at the same time is very much a short sword.

Flawless execution of " everything ", paper cutting sharp.

The scabbard fits perfectly as the blade won't fall out if the handle is held vertically with the handle down unless shaken and at the same time not so tight as to be hard to withdraw from the scabbard.

The storage/shipping box is like every other box that Michael makes: A nice storage/display box and very protective for shipping. The blade and guard seems to have has a light coating of oil to prevent rusting in transit.

Customs clearance was slow this time, but that is always unpredictable.

Michael: Thanks a great deal for this superb work of real weapon art.

A real joy to work with Michael on this project as I only gave him my general ideas about it and he matched his work to even my unstated intentions in a very intuitive, active listening way. Great customer service and I highly recommend having him make your design or let him design for you as you won't be disappointed.
;) :D :cool:
Jean,

I am glad that you finally received the cinquedea. It is also good to hear a nice mini-review on the piece. I am also looking forwards to a more detailed review after you have had it for awhile.

Having dealt with Michael personally for a custom piece I know exactly what you mean. He is very good at interpreting what some one wants from communicating with them. I know he nailed my XIIIb perfectly with what I had in my minds eye for it. The really good news for me is that he is starting on another project for me currently. For now I will just say that your partisan gave me a case of polearm envy Jean! :D I cannot wait to see what he comes up with for this project for me.

My suggestion to anyone looking for someone to make a unique custom piece is to give Michael a shot. His name is not very well known, yet! If his work continues as it has been though it will be well known and then his wait time for a custom piece will be in the years. Of course that might happen because of Jean, Tim, and myself because I already have another project I want him to work on for me this winter!

Michael,

It is great to see your work continuing to grow as you make more pieces. Keep up the awesome work.

Scott
Congrats on this piece Jean! As always, Michael seems to have made a winner. The hilt is outstanding. Great stuff!
Hi Jean,

this is a really fine weapon, you have got there. And there is no reason to be disappointed, because it's blade is not as highly decorated as some of the real finds. I recently took a picture of some Cinquedeas at Rothenburg Museum (Germany) and one of them happens to look like some kind of twin brother to your blade!. Enjoy...

Greets,
Thomas

Attachment: 102.22 KB
Cinquedea_Rothenburg.jpg
Original Cinquedea find, exhibited at Rothenburg Museum, Germany.
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Page 3 of 3

Jump to: