Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > durability of brigandine coverings Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Rick M.

PostPosted: Sun 02 May, 2010 5:03 am    Post subject: durability of brigandine coverings         Reply with quote

Brigandines were covered with velvet, wool, or leather with the rivet heads going through the covering. It seems that wool or especially velvet would wear out rather quickly. I don't see how the cover could be replaced without disassembling the whole thing. Is there any evidence for how it was done?

Rick
Ben van Koert

Reading list: 14 books

PostPosted: Sun 02 May, 2010 12:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've been fighting in a brig for two seasons and witnessed another one in use for about 4 seasons and I must say they take wear rather well. Off course you get battlescars on it, but with care and repairs they will last quite long.

There's no other way of replacing the velvet covering without disassembly of the entire brigandine.
Eric S

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Sun 02 May, 2010 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: durability of brigandine coverings         Reply with quote

Rick M. wrote:
Brigandines were covered with velvet, wool, or leather with the rivet heads going through the covering. It seems that wool or especially velvet would wear out rather quickly. I don't see how the cover could be replaced without disassembling the whole thing. Is there any evidence for how it was done?

Rick
Here is a picture of a Japanese (samurai) helmet neck protector with "kikko" sewn inside, you can see the cloth wearing out around the kikko, since it was sewn to the inner layer this wear causes no problem but to fix it the whole panel would have had to be taken apart.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > durability of brigandine coverings
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic