Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Hanwei Tinker GSOW historical accuracy... ? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Jojo Zerach

PostPosted: Tue 27 Apr, 2010 5:01 pm    Post subject: Hanwei Tinker GSOW historical accuracy... ?         Reply with quote

The HT Great sword of war's nut and bevel edge obviousaly aren't very historical, though what about the weight/handling/flexibility?
Sometimes I like this sword and soemtimes I don't, what do you think?
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Tue 27 Apr, 2010 5:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You might want to read my review from SBG forum: http://sbgswordforum.proboards.com/index.cgi?...e=1#235773

Basically I think it is quite historically accurate regarding both looks and how it handles and functions. I'm not a fan of hex nut and this is my only sword with it for now, but it seems that it's structurally safe and durable.
Jojo Zerach

PostPosted: Tue 27 Apr, 2010 8:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I geusse I like that it seems to be a fair representaion of a specific sword type, though I'm not sure how much I like type XIII swords as opposed to to other types.
Johan Gemvik

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 28 Apr, 2010 10:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The nut is there to be able to swap between blunts and sharps on the same sword. It's an inexpensive way to get two decent swords in one and obviously meant for that market, if you're rich you can simply get two custom made matching peened swords for the same use.
I want a good solid peen on any sword I'd weild since I'd use it for powerful cutting, but for lighter use this should work fine as long as you inspect it for damage and make sure it's secure before use. And it's not like Tinker doesn't have swords in the line that are peened too, like the viking version.

The Talhoffer manuscript shows some pommels for duel longswords to be screwed on and replaceable with various spiked and edged variants for extra damage, so maybe it's not as ahistoric as some think. At least for duel purposes.

"The Dwarf sees farther than the Giant when he has the giant's shoulder to mount on" -Coleridge
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Wed 28 Apr, 2010 2:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes, but there is no blunt blade for GSoW yet and I don't know if it's in Hanwei's plans to do it.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Hanwei Tinker GSOW historical accuracy... ?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic