New Forged Type XVIII
Hey Everyone,

Just finished this new forged piece last week and finally got pics of it up. Let me know what you guys think, I'll copy the text that goes with it into the post.

[ Linked Image ]

This forged sword was made with sword and buckler in mind. It is a very quick sword with both cutting and thrusting potential. The blade was forged from W1 round stock, and was heat-treated in Albion's hot-salt heat-treating unit. The guard was forged from mild steel and the pommel cast from a Jody Samson original carving.

OL: 34"
BL: 27.625"
Width: 1.75" at cross
CoB: 3.875" from cross
CoP: 17.75" from cross
Weight: 2 lbs.

Steel:
forged W1

[ Linked Image ]

http://www.albionarmorers.com/inhouse/jason.htm
Very nice work Jason :D

Judging by the pic, I'd agree that it's probably one quick sword.
Nice. VERY nice.

That looks like one wicked blade.
Zounds! I'm not even partial to that style, but I like that one.

JSA
Nice little number there.
It's a nice sword but the pommel doesen't quite match the rest of the sword.
Hey, Jason, that looks damn good!
This is a beautiful piece, though a bit beyond my price range. The other work shown at your link also looks great.

Question - what is it about W1 that makes this steel your "pet", as you call it?
Steve Grisetti wrote:
This is a beautiful piece, though a bit beyond my price range. The other work shown at your link also looks great.

Question - what is it about W1 that makes this steel your "pet", as you call it?

Hi Steve,

W1 and 1075 are the two steels I prefer and use the most. The 1075 because of the great abundance of it in the shop (same stock as is used for production), and the W1 because I love the way it works. It moves nicely under the hammer, and I feel like I get great results from heat-treating it, both with clay for Japanese blades, and through hardening for the Euro/Fantasy pieces I make.

I'm a moderately firm believer in picking a small selection of steels (as a smith) and becoming very proficient with them. I do use other steels, but the more familiar you are with you materials, the more automatic it can become (like anything else).

As I have more time in the near future, there will be a number of pieces that will be of pattern-welded steels of differing types, but I will keep using W1 rather extensively for my mono-steel pieces.

To Everyone,

Thanks for the compliments, as with most of my European and Fantasy projects, the blade was completed and then ideas for the hilt were considered. I based this piece off of a few different Type XV's and XVIII's in "Records".
Beautiful Piece Jason!
Jason,

That's a really beautiful piece man. Congratulations on such a fine accomplishment.

James
:wtf:

Its swords like that which make swordsmen shed a silent tear. Beautiful sword Jason.
Hi Jason,
Wonderfull work,
A book i picked up last week shows an almost identical photo to your sword,even the detail in the pommel is near as bang on,
circa 1460 Italian sword,page 75
An Historical guide to Arms and Armour,Stephen Bull,
isbn, 0-304-34055-3
Description reads,
Fighting sword with fishtail pommell and copper ? quillons,
the large picture is in black and white,
Great book for pics too,
Great sword, :)

edit for correct info,

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: