Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Plate gauntlet for WMA use,need an advice Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Gabriele Becattini

PostPosted: Mon 19 Apr, 2010 1:40 am    Post subject: Plate gauntlet for WMA use,need an advice         Reply with quote

Hello all,

i'm looking for a good pair of plate gauntlet for longsword and sword and buckler training, i don't have in mind a specific

pattern or period the only thing they must be of fingered form , i'm searchin something that is comfortable to wear and use

and with a proper fitting. i have taken a look to the mercenary taylor wisby gauntlet that looks like a good option, and are

also not expensive, but may be that you have some raccomendation for another style and maker, i'm mainly looking for

an europen based maker but suggestion like merc taylor are welcomed even if in the usa.

thanks for help

gabriele
Ben van Koert

Reading list: 14 books

PostPosted: Mon 19 Apr, 2010 5:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I own a pair similar to these by White Rose Armoury and I like them very much. Mobility of fingered gauntlets combined with the protection of mittens.

I don't own any other gauntlets by other armourers yet, but I highly recommend the work of Stanislac Prosek CZ, Jeffrey Hedgecock USA and Mark Vickers UK, among others.[/img]
Werner Stiegler

PostPosted: Mon 19 Apr, 2010 7:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hockey gloves are a good alternative too. They're cheap, offer unrestricted mobility and good protection.
Greg Mele
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 19 Apr, 2010 9:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes, but good gauntlets are notably more protective, less bulky and have better mobility.

The issue is to buy *good* gauntlets. Hour glass gauntlets will work fine for the requester's needs.

Greg Mele
Chicago Swordplay Guild
www.chicagoswordplayguild.com

www.freelanceacademypress.com
Todd M. Sullivan

PostPosted: Mon 19 Apr, 2010 9:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gab,

Depends on how much you want to spend and how long your willing to wait to have them made. I know many want that "driving glove fit" but if you look at historic pics of gloves they were not of this type of the modern want and feel. Again wearer's prefence so to speak.

I use the Merc Tailor wisby gaunlets and they work just fine. I was looking at purchasing the GDFB hourglass gauntlet but I've been told the articulation is not so good.

I always suggest Merc Tailor's gear because Allan's customer service is tip top which upsets me from time to time as he won't leave his forge until an order is completed which cuts into my "Allan come out and play with me" time.

Hope that helps.

*Pic of myself with the wisby's. They worked fine with long sword.
Gabriele Becattini

PostPosted: Mon 19 Apr, 2010 10:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone for the answer:

Ben- i have taken a look to white rose website and their works looks very nice, could you tell me in wich price range
their product are? my budget is about 250-300 euros.

Werner- in my fencing accademy some people use glove like the ones you suggest, and it is a good choice
from a fencing point of view, i'm looking for a pair of plate gauntlets just because i would like to have it.

Greg- the hour glass was the first model about i have tought, but looks like if it's one of the most expensive pattern
to have reproduced, at least on the websites i have visited.

Todd- your gauntlet looks very nice in your photo they looks even better than in merc taylor website, do you know how long was the waiting list for having a pair?
Eric Fick

PostPosted: Mon 19 Apr, 2010 11:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I will 2nd Merc Tailor's Wisby gauntlets, I have a pair and the only problem I've had was cleaning off the chemical bluing I applied Sad The wisby gauntlets have great articulation and range of motion.

great quality, great price, great customer service and even a bit of patience Wink

Cheers,

Eric Fick
Davenriche European Martial Artes Schoole
www.swordfightingschool.com
Ben van Koert

PostPosted: Mon 19 Apr, 2010 12:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Gabriele,

If that's your budget, White rose might be out of your league, but I just checked Mark Vickers' website and he offers a similar type of gauntlet for 250 gbp. Unfortunately his site was targeted by malware hackers, but if your computer's malware scanner is up to date you can look it up on www.stgeorgearmoury.co.uk .

Cheers,
B
Thom R.

Reading list: 30 books

PostPosted: Mon 19 Apr, 2010 12:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you are going to be sparring and don't have to be completely true to an earlier period I would recommend getting mitten gauntlets or simulated finger gauntlets or "clamshells" for full plate coverage. I don't know what you are sparring with or how hard you will be hitting, but there is a reason why in the SCA, even with Rattan, folks are not allowed to use finger gaunts. no matter how padded you think they are and how well constructed, if you get hit hard on finger gaunts you are going to hurt.... I have seen broken fingers through finger gaunts from rebated blunt steel before. Eek!

I can not rec'd those GDFB gaunts for sparring.

In Europe it seems the Ukrainians have undercut everyone on price and there is some very good armour coming from there. I would stick with the bigger vendors, Wild Rose, Armstreet.....

Best Armour in Czech Republic is worth a look. http://www.bestarmour.com/shop/index.htm he has a few gauntlets in stock it appears. would have to call him to confirm that.

In the US Merc Tailor has already been mentioned and Allan makes great mitten gaunts. It just so happens that right now Revival.US is having a sale on a new hourglass clamshell gauntlet design by Brian Price. You seem a handy person and the kit at $275 US might be a good deal for you even with shipping to Europe if you're willing to put in some work on building them to suit you. $275 is a pretty good deal for heat treated steel.

http://revival.us/cats-pawhourglassgauntlets-1.aspx

Last edited by Thom R. on Mon 19 Apr, 2010 12:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ben van Koert

PostPosted: Mon 19 Apr, 2010 12:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I second Best Armour and would also recommend Armoury Marek.
They fit your budget very well, and have a great price/quality ratio.
Gabriele Becattini

PostPosted: Mon 19 Apr, 2010 1:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

as usual a lot of great suggestions: i have checked best armour's website many and many times but i have never seen
the section with the "special offers" , some interesting stuff inside, armory marek and mark vickers looks good too.

about mitten gauntlet, i have to excluded it simply for the reason that they are my less favourite design, i'm sure that they are very functional in terms of hand protection but i really like much more the fingered version, looking at the various
links you have provided me, best armour look the better choice in terms of prices, someone has never bought
from them?
Mark T

PostPosted: Mon 19 Apr, 2010 3:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ben van Koert wrote:
I own a pair similar to these by White Rose Armoury and I like them very much. Mobility of fingered gauntlets combined with the protection of mittens.

Hi Ben,

I like this design, and, like the OP, I'm also looking around for gauntlets. Do you know anything about the time period and location for this style historically? The White Rose site just says they're 'English' ... if you know of any examples in museums, or pictures in the standard books, I'd love to know - I'm not sure I've seen them in the (fairly basic) library I have, but will go back and re-check.
Ben van Koert

PostPosted: Mon 19 Apr, 2010 11:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, stylistically they're 15th century, but I have never seen 'proof' for this model to be based on painted artwork or originals.
I suspect they are based on a effigy, but can't say which one. Many english effigies feature gauntlets in a whole other style than is seen on the continent, but many times they are rendered in a impractical way. Therefore I think these are an interpretation based on this style. Nonetheless, I love the protection they give, although I doubt their historic provenance.
Gabriele Becattini

PostPosted: Wed 21 Apr, 2010 1:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

what do you think about this gauntlets from best armour , 273 euros expedition to italy included, shipped within 2 weeks? it looks quite good to me,

Attachment: 42.64 KB
gauntlets_29a.jpg

Attachment: 49.89 KB
gauntlets_29f.jpg

Gabriele Becattini

PostPosted: Wed 21 Apr, 2010 5:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

i have found another pair of interesting gauntlets from best armour, that probably will be my final choice,

the n.1 cost 293 euros the n.2 195,

i have noted a main structural difference between the two patterns, the n.1 cover the hand and knuckle with a single shaped plate, the n.2 as a separate thumb plate joined to main plate with a rivet, what do you think about the two design?

i believe that the great difference of price is dure to this feature and i'm wondering among the two design what is the best
in terms of solidity and freedom of movements for the hand.

thanks for all the imputs

Attachment: 43.04 KB
1.jpg

Attachment: 42.56 KB
1a.jpg

Attachment: 41.96 KB
2.jpg

Attachment: 41.22 KB
2a.jpg

Felix R.

Reading list: 25 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 21 Apr, 2010 10:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would recommend as much connected/one-piece plates as possible. Those Visby-Style gauntlets from Bestarmour look very good. Their in stock pieces were too large for me, otherwise I would have those already.

I bought me some Visby-Style gauntlets by a German smith. They fit like gloves, but those arenīt ment to get full force hits. Plate ones might be better for this.
Gabriele Becattini

PostPosted: Wed 21 Apr, 2010 11:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Felix, thanks for your advice, just for clarity i wish to use it for longsword training so it should be able to withstand an occasional blow at a controlled force directed to my hand, not a full force blow, i'm much more interested in a style of gauntlet that give my hand the mobility equivalent to an hockey or kevlar renforced gauntlet
Aleksei Sosnovski

PostPosted: Wed 21 Apr, 2010 11:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Separate plate for thumb is better, especially for left hand because you should be able to change from normal grip to halfswording quickly as well as be able to grab your oppenent and his weapon. Thumb gets hit most often, but it is the biggest finger and therefore is more resistant to damage. Also you could use a sword with side rings which would almost eliminate the possibility of your thumb being hit. Other four fingers is what you should worry about.
Kel Rekuta

PostPosted: Thu 22 Apr, 2010 6:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gabrielle,

The Wisby style from Best Armour would be the most practical for unarmoured longsword fencing. The others look a bit stiff and perhaps heavier. This is not desirable for free play, especially if the gauntlets weigh more than your sword!

We have good results with 3mm felt padding under the lames. Shots still sting but no damage to the hand. This is good for two reasons - no one wants to get hurt playing at one's hobby & a minor pain reminds one to get that hand out of the way! Laughing Out Loud
Derek Shannon

PostPosted: Sun 11 Jul, 2010 4:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gabrielle,

Have you received your gauntlets yet? I'd be very interested in a quick review since I'm also looking for gauntlets for WMA sparring purposes.

Thanks,
Derek

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Plate gauntlet for WMA use,need an advice
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: