Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > A period way on how not to get stabbed... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
David Teague

PostPosted: Sat 17 Apr, 2010 1:01 pm    Post subject: A period way on how not to get stabbed...         Reply with quote

Hello All,

I've know of the period use of the "portapiece" on jacks, gambesons, cotuns, and aketons for some time now but most if not all coats I've seen for sale lack this defense to the thrust though the gap where your coat points, buckles, or laces close.

Since my group stopped doing free play a couple of years ago while we relearned a new core to our longsword, I never got around to making myself a "portapiece" for my main freeplay coat. Now that we've restarted, I'd forgotten my planned project...

Well, until Matt Cacy gack'd me though the gap 3 weeks ago with his Albion. Eek!

So without further ado, a simple "portapiece".

The coat turned inside out to show the added defense.

Since I've never mastered a sewing machine all work was done by hand. I used a stout waxed linen leather working thread to attach the piece with a tight whip stitch. 90ish percent of the "gap thrusts" seem to flow from the right to the left so I attached the "portapiece" on the left side of the coat.

If you make one to match your coat, you can just use multi-layers of linen or a padded shell. you can attach one with points on the inside of the coat, whip stitch it to the liner, button it, or attach it by matching it to a quilted seam on your coat and stitching it though all layers.

Matching linen can be bought cheap on line.

What the coat looks like with a matching "portapiece" from the outside.

In use the coat would be pointed shut.

Cheers,

David

This you shall know, that all things have length and measure.

Free Scholar/ Instructor Selohaar Fechtschule
The Historic Recrudescence Guild

"Yea though I walk through the valley of death, I will fear no evil: for Thou's sword art is with me; Thy poleaxe and Thy quarterstaff they comfort me."
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sat 17 Apr, 2010 1:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

By the way, on garments, that's known as a placket.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
David Teague

PostPosted: Sat 17 Apr, 2010 1:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In period text I've seen the phrase "portapiece" but it's been a few years and I don't remember the source (or maybe the correct spelling) but the modern word "placket" will do just fine.... as long as folks don't confused it with "plackard " Big Grin

"Yea though I walk through the valley of death, I will fear no evil: for Thou's sword art is with me; Thy poleaxe and Thy quarterstaff they comfort me."
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sat 17 Apr, 2010 2:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David Teague wrote:
In period text I've seen the phrase "portapiece" but it's been a few years and I don't remember the source (or maybe the correct spelling) but the modern word "placket" will do just fine.... as long as folks don't confused it with "plackard " Big Grin

I just wanted to add the search word so it will be found... great pictures that show exactly what it is and why it's valuable.

Cheers!

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Thom R.

Reading list: 30 books

PostPosted: Sat 17 Apr, 2010 3:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David thanks for sharing ..... that looks really good! I have partly gotten around the same problem because my linen gambeson is a tad big across my chest and I wrap it such that the buttons and seam are off center (on my left) and the center of my coat is overlapped as a result. But the fit could be better and yours is much more accurate and I suspect better protection. I need to get a pleated panel and modify what I have the same way. Tom
Michael B.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 18 Apr, 2010 9:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm a big fan of not getting stabbed! Simple, yet elegant solution. And sewing by hand?! Amazing, I don't have the patience for that yet.
www.facebook.com/bearmountainforge2
Michael Bergstrom
David Teague

PostPosted: Sun 18 Apr, 2010 12:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael B. wrote:
And sewing by hand?! Amazing, I don't have the patience for that yet.

That's cause your still so young... Razz

Michael B.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 18 Apr, 2010 10:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David Teague wrote:
Michael B. wrote:

That's cause your still so young... Razz

Ahh, yes, but willing to learn. I'm hoping come next fall to start modifying and sewing a lot more of my own stuff to bring it up to snuff. Is that your Matuls you modified or a custom one?

Michael Bergstrom
David Teague

PostPosted: Sun 18 Apr, 2010 10:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael B. wrote:
Is that your Matuls you modified or a custom one?

Matuls, but I plan on making them for all of my coats.

Cheers,

DT

Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Tue 20 Apr, 2010 8:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ah yes an important part indeed. My wife began adding them to the aketons/gambesons she makes when we saw them on several medieval examples and decided they must have put them there for a reason.

Nice work Dave it looks great!

RPM
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Sun 02 May, 2010 6:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael B. wrote:

On the other hand (no pun intended), I know of some people who go on sewing by hand because they don't have the patience to learn machine-sewing--especially for deeply-curved seams, where hand-sewing makes it much, much easier to control the line of stitches and notice any flaws before they propagate too far.
Richard Schneider

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Sun 02 May, 2010 7:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I saw a movie, albeit fantasy genre, where one of the main characters was wearing a double breated gambeson. Two panels that completely cover the torso in the front.

Is there any historical evidence that such an item would be worn? It seems a good idea considering the conversation on this topic.
David Teague

PostPosted: Sun 02 May, 2010 8:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Richard Schneider wrote:
I saw a movie, albeit fantasy genre, where one of the main characters was wearing a double breated gambeson. Two panels that completely cover the torso in the front.

Is there any historical evidence that such an item would be worn? It seems a good idea considering the conversation on this topic.

Much later period fencing doublets.

Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Sun 09 May, 2010 2:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yeah. Double-breasted padded defenses aren't really kosher for medieval Europe but they're perfectly acceptable for, say. medieval Central Asia (where it's basically just a padded version of the nomads' tunic with overlapped front) or 19th-century Europe.
Sander Marechal

Reading list: 17 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 31 May, 2010 3:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi David. I have a question about your placket. What did you use to stuff it with? Matuls shipped me some extra fabric with my gambeson so I want to make a placket myself as well.
David Teague

PostPosted: Mon 31 May, 2010 10:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sander Marechal wrote:
Hi David. I have a question about your placket. What did you use to stuff it with? Matuls shipped me some extra fabric with my gambeson so I want to make a placket myself as well.

3 layers of cotton/silk fill. ( A fluffy fabric used by quilters)

Cheers,

David

Michael B.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 31 May, 2010 11:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm working on an aketon where I'm using a bamboo batting. Though not historically accurate, it supposedly keeps you cooler, and has natural anit-bacterial fighting properties (which I like since I don't wash mine all that much). David, where did you find the cotton/silk blend? I can only find cotton, or cotton/poly blend in town. Thanks!
Michael Bergstrom
Harry J. Fletcher

Reading list: 44 books

PostPosted: Mon 31 May, 2010 2:16 pm    Post subject: Portapeice or Plackett...Can You Hack It?         Reply with quote

Here I go again, just can't resist the temptation...keep your codpiece in place, and your portapiece around your shoulders, wear your plackett so your opponent can hackett. There, just had to get that out of my system!

Though not into the fenching with longswords thing, looking at the plackett or portapiece gave me an idea for making one. I have a movers blanket which is a rather thick padded coverlet that would be ideal for making a plackett. It would be a simple matter of cutting one up using a pattern and then stitching it together. You may consider this idea in the Public Domain since I do not intend to take out a patent for it.

Regards,

Harry

By the way Michael B is the resident expert on stones as extemporaneous weapons.

To Study The Edge of History

Last edited by Harry J. Fletcher on Mon 31 May, 2010 8:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sander Marechal

Reading list: 17 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 31 May, 2010 3:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks David. I'll post pictures when it's done (It might take some time. My broken finger has healed but I need a couple of weeks of physical therapy to get the motion back).
Richard Schneider

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Mon 31 May, 2010 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Portapeice or Plackett...Can You Hack It?         Reply with quote

Harry J. Fletcher wrote:

Though not into the fenching with longswords thing, looking at the plackett or portapiece gave me an idea for making one. I have a movers blanket which is a rather thick padded coverlet that would be ideal for making a plackett. It would be a simple matter of cutting one up using a pattern and then stitching it together. You may consider this idea in the Public Domain since I do not intend to take out a patent for it.

I have been thinking about something very similar. I have found online a movers blanket, 72" x 80", 100% cotton to use as a material for a gambeson following patterns I found online. The patterns very possibly a link found here on myArmoury. My biggest concern is that, taking historical consideration, the zig-zag pattern of stitching would be out-of-place. It would, however, be an economical alternative. This movers balanket is only about $17.00. Added to my time and the challenge of a fun and interesting project peaks my interest.

What say ye all?

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > A period way on how not to get stabbed...
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: