Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Show Us Your Kits and Harnesses! Reply to topic
This is a Spotlight Topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 98, 99, 100  Next 
Hendrik De Coster

PostPosted: Mon 12 Apr, 2010 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Armour         Reply with quote

Reece Nelson wrote:
Hendrik Im lovin' you're kit! Big Grin May I ask who the armourer was?

it was made by pavel marek, www.armorymarek.com . total price for breastplate+ arms; 780 euro, made to measurement.
right now i have to find a good way to polish my older spaulders and leg armour so they look better together
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 12 Apr, 2010 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Armour         Reply with quote

Hendrik De Coster wrote:
Reece Nelson wrote:

it was made by pavel marek, www.armorymarek.com . total price for breastplate+ arms; 780 euro, made to measurement.
right now i have to find a good way to polish my older spaulders and leg armour so they look better together

Very impressive kit I really like it all and the Sallet really looks good with the paint job. Big Grin Cool

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Mon 12 Apr, 2010 11:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gert-Jan Beukers wrote:
Here is my new late-15th century kit. The brigandine is from Steel mastery, but rivets are too big and made of stainless steel...so I have to replace 250+ rivets for 'authentic' ones.

The helmet is a black sallet made by Jiri Krondak.

Before I forget, don't mention the crappy quality of my cell phone XD

Great lookning Brigantine with the two colour,

The Black Sallet looks good from the front as a lot of modern made Sallets look O.K. seen from the side but a little " off " fron the front.

It would be nice to see the Sallet from the side and maybe a 3/4 profile pic.

Hendrik De Coster

PostPosted: Mon 12 Apr, 2010 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Armour         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Hendrik De Coster wrote:
Reece Nelson wrote:

Very impressive kit I really like it all and the Sallet really looks good with the paint job. Big Grin Cool

thank you! the sallet and i have a love hate relationship. i love the way it looks painted but it is made may too big. if you look carefully you'll notice i am infact wearing 2 padded coifs under it and it's still rather wobbly
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Mon 12 Apr, 2010 11:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

On the other hand when the Sallet is too small it becomes very hard to find a Bevor that will work for it unless it it made specifically to be worn with the specific Sallet ..... At least some of my Sallets and Bevor combinations don't work well together. I prefer a Kettle Hat with a Bevor or other open faced helm unless the Bevor and Sallet are made for each other.
Hendrik De Coster

PostPosted: Mon 12 Apr, 2010 11:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
On the other hand when the Sallet is too small it becomes very hard to find a Bevor that will work for it unless it it made specifically to be worn with the specific Sallet ..... At least some of my Sallets and Bevor combinations don't work well together. I prefer a Kettle Hat with a Bevor or other open faced helm unless the Bevor and Sallet are made for each other.
currently i'm saving money again so next year i can order an armet to go with my armour.the armet will be based upon the NY met armet. then i need to get pauldrons and tassets and after that complete new leg armour. ah the pain in my wallet.
Felix R.

Reading list: 25 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 17 Apr, 2010 5:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Not th full kit yet. But a sneak preview of maybe the finest part of my second kit just arrived. Just have to sew in the linen gloves this weekend. Big Grin

Attachment: 143.07 KB
IMG_2493.JPG

Todd M. Sullivan

PostPosted: Sat 17 Apr, 2010 6:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Some new stuff.

Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sat 17 Apr, 2010 7:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Question is...who put together the new stuff for you?
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Todd M. Sullivan

PostPosted: Sat 17 Apr, 2010 7:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Joe,

The leg harness and clamshells are Merc Tailor. I apologize for the rust on the legs, recently pulled them out of the trunk to my dismay. The jacket, jack chains, and breastplate are GDFB. I'm going for the infantry kit...need a kettle helm and perhaps bevor.

I need to drill holes in the elbows.

David Teague

PostPosted: Sat 17 Apr, 2010 10:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Todd M. Sullivan wrote:
I'm going for the infantry kit...need a kettle helm and perhaps bevor.

Hi Todd!

I like what you are doing with your "infantry kit", but since you are doing the 15th century with it, I'd pair up a sallet of some sort along with either a bevor or a padded maille standard for that classic 15th century WotR type look.

You might want to keep an eye out over at Armour Archive's for sale forum as living history type sallets pop up over there, sometimes a fire sale prices.

Like this one that sold for $250 shipped

or this one that sold for $330 shipped

I even picked mine up over there for $250 and it was a custom Valentine Armoury piece that the prior owner "gave away" as he needed funds quick. Armour Archive focus is more towards the SCA so "non legal" armour can sell for less there.

Now, what I would do with your breast plate (after having it fitted) is remove the lower portion, cover the upper portion with a colorful linen and do a "faux brigantine" rivet pattern on it, then fit a plackard to it for "the bomb". (Extra points if you cover the elbows with the same cloth & rivet pattern

Spiffy Foot soldier look. Cool

What's nice about a padded maille standard is you can add a hidden steel plate to protect the neck and use in under your fencing mask for freeplay. A padded maille standard moves with you in ways a bevor and it's ilk can not.

Ochs is effortless with a padded maille standard. Big Grin

Last thing, it was common for a soldier not to wear legs per se, they were willing to give up the upper thigh protection for mobility on the battle field. What you do see sometimes is knees only.

The only way I can think to make knees to stay up on hose is to point them to the hose along with the straps to keep them in place. "Straps only" let them slide down in movement.Confused

Cheers,

David

This you shall know, that all things have length and measure.

Free Scholar/ Instructor Selohaar Fechtschule
The Historic Recrudescence Guild

"Yea though I walk through the valley of death, I will fear no evil: for Thou's sword art is with me; Thy poleaxe and Thy quarterstaff they comfort me."
Scott Hrouda

Reading list: 87 books

PostPosted: Sat 17 Apr, 2010 11:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Felix R. wrote:
Not th full kit yet. But a sneak preview of maybe the finest part of my second kit just arrived. Just have to sew in the linen gloves this weekend. Big Grin

Felix, I'm loving the gauntlets! Can you tell us who you got them from? What is the weight of each gauntlet?

...and that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana shaped. - Sir Bedevere
Felix R.

Reading list: 25 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 17 Apr, 2010 1:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

They are around 750g each. The pair was made by Christian Wiedner http://www.plattnerei-wiedner.de/
Thom R.

Reading list: 30 books

PostPosted: Sat 17 Apr, 2010 4:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Todd - looks really good! Of course there is always a tendency to add too much when one is going for the WOTR mid 15th c infantry look, and then the next thing ya know you're back to full plate again Cool ..... but I think a pair of simple shoulder cops from Allan, tied right over the top of those jack chains, would look good with your elbows etc. TR
Todd M. Sullivan

PostPosted: Sun 18 Apr, 2010 11:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thom R. wrote:
Todd - looks really good! Of course there is always a tendency to add too much when one is going for the WOTR mid 15th c infantry look, and then the next thing ya know you're back to full plate again Cool ..... but I think a pair of simple shoulder cops from Allan, tied right over the top of those jack chains, would look good with your elbows etc. TR

LOL..ya see your already adding armor to it Happy

The only thing I need now is a spit catcher (bevor), kettle helm, medeival tent, bench, wine, and someone to sit and drink it with me Happy

I have to say Hendrik's harness is fantastic. I loved his painted Sallet, very sharp! Tip Top!
Thom R.

Reading list: 30 books

PostPosted: Sun 18 Apr, 2010 11:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Todd M. Sullivan wrote:

hahaha yeah. so.... who made those elbows? did Allan make you those elbows?
Scott Hrouda

Reading list: 87 books

PostPosted: Sun 18 Apr, 2010 1:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Todd M. Sullivan wrote:
The only thing I need now is a spit catcher (bevor), kettle helm, medeival tent, bench, wine, and someone to sit and drink it with me Happy

I'll recommend Panther Primitives for your medieval tent. I'm on my second pavilion (adding children means adding room) and have been very satisfied with both purchases.

...and that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana shaped. - Sir Bedevere
Todd M. Sullivan

PostPosted: Sun 18 Apr, 2010 3:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thom R. wrote:
Todd M. Sullivan wrote:

hahaha yeah. so.... who made those elbows? did Allan make you those elbows?

The jack chains with elbows are GDFB...now if I can convince Allan to make chains and elbows...then we might have something there, however, there are not holes in the elbows to attach to the jacket, so Allan and Dave Teague gave me some assistance to which I spread the wealth:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Xom1wjIiYg

Happy

Todd
Gregory J. Liebau

PostPosted: Mon 19 Apr, 2010 1:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's my newest soft kit... Haven't put a lot of time and work into it yet but it's coming together well. The representation is of a German Ministeriale c. 1200. The clothing is all from Historic Enterprises, and I made the Phyrgian cap, draw-string pouch (which is actually very accurate for the era!) and scabbard/baldric combination myself. The sword is an Albion Squire 13th Century Knightly Sword, which I've been digging the whole time I've had it and I'm waiting to do some cool modifications to it once summer strikes. Finally, the turnshoes are from Revival Enterprises... Not a lot of people put much effort into this era, and it isn't really one of my favorites even, in the scheme of things. It's new to me, though, and the mystique of the Crusades is starting to grab hold of me one ball at a time when I realize the magnitude of the events played out during the late 12th century in the Holy Land. Fun stuff.

Cheers!

-Gregory

The Big Picture

My Flickr Galleries - Travel, Nature & Things
Hendrik De Coster

PostPosted: Wed 21 Apr, 2010 8:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Todd M. Sullivan wrote:
Thom R. wrote:

I have to say Hendrik's harness is fantastic. I loved his painted Sallet, very sharp! Tip Top!

thanks! a great piece of advise to you might be to also make a livery displaying on which side you fought;)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Show Us Your Kits and Harnesses!
Page 35 of 100 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 98, 99, 100  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: