Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Histprical period of hanwie tinker swords. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Nathan Quarantillo

PostPosted: Fri 16 Apr, 2010 10:51 am    Post subject: Histprical period of hanwie tinker swords.         Reply with quote

Hello all, I was inquireing as to what period (earliest possible) would work for the hanwei Tinker hand-an-a-half sword.

Attachment: 46.48 KB
greatsword_2100_17948980.jpg

"Id rather be historically accurate than politically correct"
Martin Erben

PostPosted: Fri 16 Apr, 2010 11:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi

I would say, there is no historical period for this long fullered blade with this slender profile.... If it had a wider blade, you could say it's a type XII so it could have been used around 1250-1400. But I really think that this blunt trainers are not meant to represent any historical period. They just need (in this example) the fuller to have the right balance with this thick "edge".

Best regards
P. Cha

PostPosted: Fri 16 Apr, 2010 5:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Martin Erben wrote:
Hi

I would say, there is no historical period for this long fullered blade with this slender profile.... If it had a wider blade, you could say it's a type XII so it could have been used around 1250-1400. But I really think that this blunt trainers are not meant to represent any historical period. They just need (in this example) the fuller to have the right balance with this thick "edge".

Best regards

Well even if you did make the blade wider there is the issue of the square tip as far as how the blade looks as well...so it still wouldn´t be a type XII.
Sander Marechal

Reading list: 17 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 17 Apr, 2010 1:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

P. Cha wrote:

Well even if you did make the blade wider there is the issue of the square tip as far as how the blade looks as well...so it still wouldn´t be a type XII.

The square tip is because the image is of a blunt training sword. If you look at this page, halfway down you can see this sword side-by-side with it's sharp counterpart. The sharp version of this sword does not have a fuller and does have a pointy tip.
J R Johnson

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Sat 17 Apr, 2010 2:36 am    Post subject: Re: Histprical period of hanwie tinker swords.         Reply with quote

Nathan Quarantillo wrote:
Hello all, I was inquireing as to what period (earliest possible) would work for the hanwei Tinker hand-an-a-half sword.

The sword is based on the Oakeshott type XVIIIa blade, it's simply the blunt version. Time period is roughly mid to late 15th century. Hope this helps.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Histprical period of hanwie tinker swords.
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic