Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

... it certainly doesn't need anything added. I was just wondering if a black Cabochon might add to the overall piece??

Attachment: 33.22 KB
1106-SPcatalog.jpg

Well there is also the cost factor of finding something worth using, having it harmonize with the design or even more designing something.

Unless I had a strong liking for something to use in the pommel I'd rather keep it simple. ;)
Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Well there is also the cost factor of finding something worth using, having it harmonize with the design or even more designing something.

Unless I had a strong liking for something to use in the pommel I'd rather keep it simple. ;)

It is very very nice and elegant as it is Jean :)
That looks really stunning Jean. As always you come up with some of the best designs to have created by the very talented smiths we are so lucky to have access to!

I would also like to compliment Michael highly and another great creation. It is so much fun to watch as you continue to make new pieces and see what you do with them.

Regards,
Scott
Great looking dagger Jean. Again (I remember leaving such a comment when I saw your spear), seeing this makes me wonder why I didn't fancy cinquedea before...

I liked the center of the guard better when it was bare though, as the overall shape of the ecusson makes me think of superman's chest symbol :)...or maybe I've just been reading too much comics lately :)

Cheers and really looking forward to see the final piece.

J
jean it makes me wonder if i could visit you sometimes to see all of you collection :lol:

it seems i have a lot to learn and a lot to see to improve my designs and the overall look of this is absolutely gorgeous its hard to believe it is not finished (exept for the peen)
Here are the most recent pics of the Cinquedea which is essentially finished, the scabbard needing to be done before it can be shipped.

It might be a simple storage scabbard or now possibly a wooden scabbard without a leather covering to match the handle as I think this is a case where an attractive wood grain would look better than the usual leather since the handle is not covered with leather.

This might be the same kind of wood or a contrasting wood: This is still in discussion concept wise and cost wise since I budgeted to put most of the budget on the knife itself .... so this is why a simple storage scabbard is an option.

I might opt to add a bit extra money on the project for a nicer scabbard.

Attachment: 144.02 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 155.99 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 188.7 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 192.27 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 161.02 KB
[ Download ]
That looks great Jean! Michael's work is very clean on the lines of the fullers as well as the engraving on the hilt. I think that whatever you go with scabbard wise will really look good. I think that a contrasting wooden scabbard will really set the grip off nicely.

Scott
Scott Kowalski wrote:
That looks great Jean! Michael's work is very clean on the lines of the fullers as well as the engraving on the hilt. I think that whatever you go with scabbard wise will really look good. I think that a contrasting wooden scabbard will really set the grip off nicely.

Scott

Thanks Scott and I agree Michael's work is about the most precise and flawless I have seen: Clean and crisp.

I think contrasting colours in scabbard and handle is a nice change from the modern obsession with matching colours, and I do think that this is a modern thing like women's shoes, belts and shoes matching. ( Well at least old fashioned fashion maybe ). Hey why not wear a brown sock and a green sock. ;) :p :lol:

Joking obviously but sometimes these things limit our imagination or freedom when designing things.
Jean (& Michael!),
Congratulations on that superb cinquedea. It is underrepresented in today's marketplace. I am looking forward to seeing it paired with a nice scabbard.

Jonathan
I'd go for a scabbard based on historical precedent. No surprise, eh? I think doing a wooden scabbard would be unfortunate.

There is a lot of variety to scabbards for these types of weapons. Many are documented and published. Below are a few that were readily accessible to me.

Attachment: 116.33 KB
scabbard_cinquedea003.jpg

Attachment: 83.75 KB
scabbard_cinquedea004.jpg

Attachment: 70.22 KB
scabbard_cinquedea001.jpg

Attachment: 85.14 KB
scabbard_cinquedea005.jpg

Attachment: 117.47 KB
scabbard_cinquedea006.jpg

Attachment: 125.16 KB
scabbard_cinquedea007.jpg

Attachment: 81.52 KB
scabbard_cinquedea008.jpg

Attachment: 155.14 KB
scabbard_cinquedea009.jpg

This is truly stunning. I Have never understood the draw of a sword like this. That is, until now. I Really don't have words for this...simply stunning. I don't think I could afford to have something like this commissioned for a long time, but when I do, I want an exact replica of this.

Seriously, exemplary work!
Nathan Robinson wrote:
I'd go for a scabbard based on historical precedent. No surprise, eh? I think doing a wooden scabbard would be unfortunate.

There is a lot of variety to scabbards for these types of weapons. Many are documented and published. Below are a few that were readily accessible to me.

I'm with Nathan 110% on this and brass fittings to match the sword.

It is a beautiful piece and deserves to be housed in a scabbard of similar quality IMHO :) It will probably blow your budget but I think you will be happier in the long run.
Well the historically correct scabbards are certainly awesome and worth considering and discussing even if only for the educational value but a scabbard as impressive as the dagger might end up doubling the price. :(

Now although I want a decent looking scabbard the budget for this project should be 80% for the Cinquedea and 20% for the scabbard, for practical reasons like not waiting for a long design and making of an intricate scabbard delay in getting this one home. ( Not as much thought on my part has gone into the scabbard design as into the dagger and changing course at this late date in the process would mean a giant jump in the price as it wouldn't be fair to Michael asking him to put in as much work in the scabbard as in the dagger without paying much more ).

If you noticed the historical Cinquedeas, above posted by Nathan tend to be engraved or otherwise highly decorated. Mine is more Spartan in having simple but gorgeous lines, so the scabbard should have simple clean lines and I think it may well have some brass or bronze furniture.
That scabbard type, sans tooling, won't double the cost. Consider a simple leather sheath, single-layer, with incised lines and a chape. That's not very expensive. That's basically what you just said, reading again. :)
Nathan Robinson wrote:
That scabbard type, sans tooling, won't double the cost. Consider a simple leather sheath, single-layer, with incised lines and a chape. That's not very expensive. That's basically what you just said, reading again. :)

Yes that is a good option but I think that Michael is more confident in his skills in doing it with a wood core at this time but I'll pass on the suggestion to him.
I wanted to thank everyone for the complements and comments on the blade, and also for input on the scabbard design. Although I have done all leather scabbards (or sheathes) in the past, I have had a hard time getting all the details exactly right and up to par with how I feel it should be, so I am opting for a wood core covered in leather instead of an all leather scabbard. Also Jean had requested a point on the scabbard to catch on a belt or other loop and prevent it from sliding out. To attach this piece and have it sturdy and not leave anything to scratch up the blade on the inside of the scabbard, I think that securing it to a wood core and wrapping in leather is a good way to go. In previous e-mails we had talked about making the scabbard simple, without metal fittings, so I am not planning on any furniture other then the "catch."

While I realize some decisions in the scabbard department are not 100% inline with historical samples, I have to work within the limitations of my skills, and leather work is still an area that I need more time to grow in. My metal and blade work is still vastly growing with each project and each idea, and once I'm not fussing expensively on how to get this or that done, then I can focus more on growing my leather work. While doing an all leather sheath sounds easy enough, it doesn't come off that way when my hands are working and I would rather sacrifice a bit of historical accuracy and get a better end product.
Michael Pikula wrote:

While I realize some decisions in the scabbard department are not 100% inline with historical samples, I have to work within the limitations of my skills, and leather work is still an area that I need more time to grow in. My metal and blade work is still vastly growing with each project and each idea, and once I'm not fussing expensively on how to get this or that done, then I can focus more on growing my leather work. While doing an all leather sheath sounds easy enough, it doesn't come off that way when my hands are working and I would rather sacrifice a bit of historical accuracy and get a better end product.

I completely support Michael here and respect his integrity in being up front on what he perceives as his " current " skills and what he feel comfortable in doing with the scabbard at the quality he wishes to make.

I don't think that Michael can afford to spend the endless hours it would take to make a scabbard with techniques he hasn't mastered yet as it would mean having to cut and try numerous times before he was satisfied with the results.

Like Michael said, after he has learned how to work leather with more skill making an elaborate scabbard would be time efficient and done at an affordable price for the client and at a economically survivable hourly rate of pay for him.

Oh, and I'm more than satisfied with the dagger as he interpreted my wishes perfectly and we did decide early on that the scabbard would mostly be simple and functional using a belt hook or stud to keep the scabbard from falling out from behind a belt and also as a point of attachment to a removable dagger frog for an alternate way to wear the dagger.
Here are some pics of the scabbard: Simple, but I really like it and the ball on the scabbard is exactly what I envisioned.

Attachment: 175.76 KB
000_0184.JPG

Attachment: 197.05 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 198.54 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 196.25 KB
[ Download ]
I think that looks great, Jean!
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Page 2 of 3

Jump to: