Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Introducing... The Decurio Spatha Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Howard Waddell
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Mon 05 Apr, 2010 12:10 pm    Post subject: Introducing... The Decurio Spatha         Reply with quote

Completed at last!

More photos here:

http://www.albion-swords.com/swords/albion/ne...spatha.htm

and here:

http://www.albion-swords.com/swords/albion/ne...photos.htm

Best,

Howy

Albion Swords Ltd
http://albion-swords.com
http://filmswords.com
Myles Mulkey

PostPosted: Mon 05 Apr, 2010 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Introducing... The Decurio Spatha         Reply with quote

Howard Waddell wrote:
Completed at last!

More photos here:

http://www.albion-swords.com/swords/albion/ne...spatha.htm

and here:

http://www.albion-swords.com/swords/albion/ne...photos.htm

Best,

Howy
Beautiful! The double fullers are wonderfully executed.
Addison C. de Lisle

PostPosted: Mon 05 Apr, 2010 2:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very nice; Albion keeps making getting a Roman sword more and more tempting. It's also nice to see more variety than the stereotypical ones that one usually associates with the term 'gladius', both in the hilts and the blades.
www.addisondelisle.com
Anders Backlund

PostPosted: Mon 05 Apr, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It looks kinda different from the concept drawing - the blade profile seems different. Is this another one of those that changed during the actual making?

I dunno, somehow I like the drawing more, though that's been known to happen with me. (The Burgundian and the Doge, specifically.) I'm sure it's still a really nice sword but I as far as looks go, I prefer the Auxilia.

Though, now I'm really curious about the Alaris.

The sword is an ode to the strife of mankind.

"This doesn't look easy... but I bet it is!"
-Homer Simpson.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Mon 05 Apr, 2010 7:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Anders Backlund wrote:
It looks kinda different from the concept drawing - the blade profile seems different. Is this another one of those that changed during the actual making?

I dunno, somehow I like the drawing more, though that's been known to happen with me. (The Burgundian and the Doge, specifically.) I'm sure it's still a really nice sword but I as far as looks go, I prefer the Auxilia.

Though, now I'm really curious about the Alaris.

The blade in the drawing looks a little narrower and to have a bit more taper but the concept drawings are often modified by later research and I think are just there to give an idea of what to expect.

Most time I like the finished product better than the drawing. Wink Big Grin

It does look rather nice and the double fullers really make the blade attractive.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
David Sutton

PostPosted: Tue 06 Apr, 2010 3:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I like the looks of this one better than the Auxilia, the broader blade and double fullers are very attractive.

I'm very interested to see how the Alaris will turn out now.

'Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly is better than not to think at all'

'To teach superstitions as truth is a most terrible thing'

Hypatia of Alexandria, c400AD
Anders Backlund

PostPosted: Tue 06 Apr, 2010 4:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
The blade in the drawing looks a little narrower and to have a bit more taper

It also looks like it has a more acute point, and the fullers seem quite a bit broader.

Quote:
Most time I like the finished product better than the drawing. Wink Big Grin

Well, so do I, sometimes. It's kinda hit and miss with me, though.

The sword is an ode to the strife of mankind.

"This doesn't look easy... but I bet it is!"
-Homer Simpson.
Marcos Cantu

PostPosted: Tue 06 Apr, 2010 4:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

i also like the blade of the concept drawing better but its still an amazing sword!

now all Albion needs is a Gladius Hispaniensis and the Roman line will be complete...
Bartek Strojek

PostPosted: Tue 06 Apr, 2010 12:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It also seems that fuller in case of drawing extends almost to the very tip of the blade, wide and strong, while in the final product this effect is way less visible.

Anyway, sword looks very attractive, although in different way than other "New Romans" - a bit more utilitarian perhaps, because it surely looks like one mean flesh shredder!
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Tue 06 Apr, 2010 1:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey guys,

Thank you all for your thoughts and comments!

The Decurio passed a number of different guises before settling to its final shape.

With these new romans I wanted to develop designs that were something else than just generic roman swords.
To do this I had to make some dedicated pilgrimages, visiting museum where good originals are kept and displayed. I have also been helped by the fact that two important works on roman swords have been published as I was developing these swords: Jørgen Ilkjaer´s monumental work on the Illerup Ådal find focused on swords in the last two volumes, and Christian Miks´ beautiful overview of the roman sword in the imperial period. Great resources that were invaluable in the comparative study for the present designs.
Apart from written work I have relied as much as possible on actual finds. The blades of the roman world are every bit as varied and rich as blades from the late medieval period or the renaissance. In some respects more.

The designs that have reached production is the result of careful evaluation where the spirit of the original concept drawing has been weighed against new data and knowledge gained. My ambition is that the swords you buy from Albion are the result of a design that is the best I can offer in terms of authentic shape, and handling characteristics that compare faithfully to actual historical examples. Initial concept drawings are made to the best of my ability, but I cannot close my eyes to what I learn during development of the final product.

The Decurio is an interesting sword: it is very different in character than the Auxilia and the Alaris (all three swords represent different aspects of what the roman sword can be). With its broad blade, it has a powerful presence (but it is absolutely not a wrist breaker).
Personally I was very impressed by those wide and bold spathae blades I came across in exhibits and store rooms. I like the fact they are so different from what you see as the normal description of what a roman spatha is. These swords are designed so that the blades work well without the longer grips and heavy pommel of later periods. They are witness to the skill and awareness of the blade smiths who produced weapons for the legions.
My hope is that the Decurio together with the Auxilia and Alaris may bring enthusiasts of the sword something of the same feelings I have had while studying the sword in the roman period. I have certainly come to look at the spatha and the gladius with greater respect: they are very accomplished designs and the result of skillful craftsmanship.

I would wish that as many of you as possible had opportunity to actually handle these swords. I know that many will have to decide what sword to buy based on what they look like in photographs.
The roman sword looks rather humble at first sight. Holding a well made reproduction of a roman sword will reveal more than one may first expect. They are more varied in character and much more *Sword* than the humble shape might suggest.
Marcos Cantu

PostPosted: Tue 06 Apr, 2010 1:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter,

thanks for those insights into the blade design. i especially like the beautiful woodwork in the grip assembly.

any chance of a Gladius Hispaniensis making into the roman line?
Michael Eging

PostPosted: Tue 06 Apr, 2010 2:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter:

These look absolutely stunning. Thank you for the insights into the design. I very much appreciate you insights and will be saving for this one! Cool

M. Eging
Hamilton, VA
www.silverhornechoes.com
Member of the HEMA Alliance
http://hemaalliance.com/
B. Stark
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 06 Apr, 2010 2:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I can't wait to see what is done along the Celtic longsword route after seeing this. It will be first rate no doubt.
"Wyrd bi∂ ful aræd"
Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: 100%
(11 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Tue 06 Apr, 2010 6:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This looks great! Another great job from Albion!
Chris Lampe

PostPosted: Wed 07 Apr, 2010 4:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aesthetically, I have mixed feelings about this one but I think that's because it's so different from what I've come to expect in a Roman spatha. Objectively speaking, it's a beautiful sword.

What I love about this one is that it's a much more obvious example of the evolution to migration era swords. It's hard to connect the commonly seen Roman spatha (like the Auxilia) with the swords of the migration era but this one makes the relationship seem obvious. It's also fascinating seeing the different styles of Roman sword. I think most people envision the Romans all using a Pompeii style Gladius and/or a spatha like the Auxilia so it's nice to see some of the variety that actually existed.

Great job as always by the folks at Albion.
Stephen Curtin

PostPosted: Wed 07 Apr, 2010 7:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I definately appreciate Peter's and everyone else at Albion's dedication to historical accuracy, but I cant help feel a little disappointed with how this one turned out, as I really liked the concept drawing. That being said it's still a good looking sword and I'm sure I'll come to love it the same as I do all other Albion swords.
Éirinn go Brách
P. Norton

Reading list: 12 books

Feedback score: 100%
(2 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Wed 07 Apr, 2010 9:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This turned out absolutely beautiful!

I wonder how it handles? The weight is under two pounds, the point of balance is 7 inches from the hilt, and the blade is slightly under 27 inches. I presume that the result is a nice combination of compactness and speed while still being able to deliver authoritative cuts. The combination of lightness and blade presence must be pleasing.

I also love the hilts on this new batch of Roman swords. To my eye, the all-walnut construction is gorgeous and a major aesthetic improvement.

If I could afford it, I'd pick up one of these, plus a Trajan and a Tiberius.

Excellent work as always, Peter!
N. Prauda

PostPosted: Thu 08 Apr, 2010 7:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Superb! Congaratulations to the whole team.
Roman swords were previously out of my area of interest, but this spatha has changed that.

-n.
Chris Artman

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 12 Apr, 2010 10:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Out of the three new Roman swords, The Decurio seemed the most interesting. Although the more tapered blade of the Alaris seems quite dramatic and tempting. The pomel seemed more intricate on the Decurio, which was the deciding factor for me... Although for some reason I though the original concept drawing implied there would be metal stripes on the pomel, but they turned out to be just the shape of the wood.

I'm looking forward to receiving the Decurio... Just hope the Alaris doesn;t turn out to be too tempting... I only wanted one of these 3... hehe...
Folkert van Wijk

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Wed 14 Apr, 2010 2:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

B. Stark wrote:
I can't wait to see what is done along the Celtic longsword route after seeing this. It will be first rate no doubt.

Oh yes that's what I was thinking... Talking "every bit as varied"...

A good sword will only be sharp, in the hands of a wise man…

I am great fan of everything Celtic BC, including there weapons.

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Introducing... The Decurio Spatha
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: