Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Advice wanted: Windlass Saxon-hilt cut and thrust sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Glennan Carnie

PostPosted: Sat 03 Apr, 2010 4:42 am    Post subject: Advice wanted: Windlass Saxon-hilt cut and thrust sword         Reply with quote

Has anyone any experience of this sword?

I can't find much in the way of review; beyond the blade may - or may not - be whippy. I can see from images that it suffers from typical Windlass presentation issues - overly polished finish and poor quality leather on the grip and scabbard - but these are relatively easily rectified.

What's the handling like? The sword is mainly for display/costume and won't be used for any practical fencing; but I'd still like to know if the sword handles in a 'reasonable' fashion (that is, not like a floppy crowbar!)

In other words, is it worth jumping through the bureaucratic hoops of trying to get one of these imported into the UK? or paying an obscene amount over the odds for one locally?

Thanks in advance.
Markus A

PostPosted: Sat 03 Apr, 2010 4:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

what happened in good old england because there is so much hysteria in regards to swords and daggers.
first firerams then this.did someone chop the neigbourhood with an sword??????????????????????????
at ebay uk the whole cathegorie is banned since months.
what one heard about the behavior of lots of politicians in regards of corruption ect one might think there are more issues in thisland than to bann edged iron....
what next
one stabs his mother with an screwdriver alas since then they banned
therefore britains nowadays hammer in their screws??
o tempora o mores
Glennan Carnie

PostPosted: Sat 03 Apr, 2010 5:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

EDIT:

Removed a whole load of inappropriate political stuff. Just not relevant to the topic.

Last edited by Glennan Carnie on Sat 03 Apr, 2010 5:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 03 Apr, 2010 5:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This forum is the Historical Arms Talk forum. Discussions about legal and political issues simply don't fit in this forum.

Other discussions about these and similar policies have happened in the Off-Topic Talk forum. If you feel the need to reopen this can of worms, use the Search function to find an existing thread.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Glennan Carnie

PostPosted: Sat 03 Apr, 2010 5:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for that Chad.

I REALLY don't want to re-open this can of worms! My post has been edited accordingly! Happy

I'd MUCH rather have some information about the sword, please!
Gary B. Ledford

PostPosted: Sat 03 Apr, 2010 9:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

its a bit heavy, as the guard is a monster, but the blade is decently stiff. Sean flynt made a riding sword out of the blade, with a different cross and a rainguard. looks pretty sweet!
Beware the Jabberwock my son,
The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Tue 06 Apr, 2010 10:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I didn't like the feel of this sword at all. The hilt is oversized/overweight and some of the bars are just wrong in design and execution. The pommel and blade are nice. They worked perfectly for my riding sword project, so they'd work for anybody doing something similar with any hilt lighter than the one originally mounted. The hilt would probably be fine on a different project that's not intending to hew close to the historical line. I definitely would not import one of these. I think you can get the superior Hanwei-Tinker bastard sword blade in England. Alchem has a 1.75" spherical pommel for $13, including shipping in the U.S. I don't know how much UK shipping would add.

If you like this hilt type (and I do) I would urge you should look elsewhere.

For what it's worth: I'm thinking about selling my riding sword project (which is a very nice project) and redoing it with the H-T blade and Alchem pommel. I like those products that much better.

One of my enduring frustrations is that Windlass could so often make a better and more historically authentic sword for the same or less money and time (less material in the guard, peened instead of threaded, no scabbard locket, etc.). That's certainly true in this case.

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Glennan Carnie

PostPosted: Wed 07 Apr, 2010 1:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Sean. That pretty much confirmed my suspicions.

It's such a shame there is such a dearth of early-to-mid 16th century complex hilts on the reproduction market.
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Wed 07 Apr, 2010 6:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's true, and I don't know why, unless it's just that difficult to master the complex hilt. Here's what you should do: There are good photos of several of these swords, including in the musee de l'armee thread on this site. Get a H-T Bastard sword blade and send hilt photos to E.B. Erickson. If he's interested in the project, get on his waiting list (couple of years) and save a small amount of cash each month. The time will fly and you'll have the finest hilt of that type outside of a museum. Cut a ricasso in the blade, mount and admire. Big Grin

Attachment: 79.82 KB
download.jpg

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Advice wanted: Windlass Saxon-hilt cut and thrust sword
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic