Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Rapiers Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Maltsev Yaroslav

PostPosted: Fri 02 Apr, 2010 12:35 am    Post subject: Rapiers         Reply with quote

Dear All,

Does anybody knows anything about light rapiers or small swords with flexible blades good enough for full contact and safe fencing?
What about producing of fencing jackets and masks? Asking this I don't mean sport equipment.

Your help is much appreciated!
Michael B.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 02 Apr, 2010 12:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Darkwood Armoury has a good selection of rapiers and smallswords. They could also do something custom. Revival Clothing just recently released their fencing doublet which looks really nice.
www.facebook.com/bearmountainforge2
Michael Bergstrom
Maltsev Yaroslav

PostPosted: Fri 02 Apr, 2010 1:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks a lot!
I have looked through the DarkWood's website - very nice weapons.
Where can I find a link for Revival Clothing?
I understand that it is located in USA. Is it correct? Anybody in Europe?
Does anybody historical rapier fencing?
Gottfried P. Doerler

PostPosted: Fri 02 Apr, 2010 1:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

there`s a group in bratislava
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKA-FRuDuLQ
looks quite astonishing.
but probably thats too far away for joining and weekly training, if one doesn`t own a private jetplane.
Andrew Maxwell

PostPosted: Fri 02 Apr, 2010 1:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi there,

Quite a few people do historical rapier fencing. Are you looking for Spanish or Italian rapier fencing? I don't know much about Spanish fencing, but if you are looking for resources for Italian fencing you should take a look at the Order of the Seven Hearts website (www.salvatorfabris.com).
Tom Leoni and Steven Reich from the website are both good guys (and both members here so they may see this thread in any case). Tom has published a couple of books on Italian Rapier which are, by all accounts, pretty much the best available.

As far as equipment, a lot of people start out with the Hanwei practical rapiers, though they seem to invariably graduate from that to the likes of the Darkwood rapiers. Most people still use standard sport fencing masks, although there are a few people making perf steel masks now (though these are mostly intended for practicing with heavier medieval weapons). Some sort of throat protection (gorget) is a must also; depending on the weapon you're using a fencing bib probably isn't going to be enough. A few people make these but they're not hard to make yourself. I'm not sure about fencing jackets etc (I mostly use a thick gambeson, but I practice medieval weapons, not rapier).

hope that helps
Andy
Vincent Le Chevalier

Reading list: 15 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 02 Apr, 2010 1:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In Europe I think Vladimir Cervenka makes training items.
Some more info in these threads:
http://www.fioredeiliberi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9663
http://www.fioredeiliberi.org/phpBB3/viewtopi...mp;t=12796

Many people wear a coaching jacket and coaching mask with additional leather protection for rapier fencing. Perhaps you could find some inspiration in the standard equipment list of the AHF (English group). Rapier fencing is less demanding than other disciplines as far as protection is concerned.

Regards,

--
Vincent
Ensis Sub Caelo
Maltsev Yaroslav

PostPosted: Mon 05 Apr, 2010 7:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dear Friends,

Thank you very much for your help! Now I see where I should search.
At the same time I must say that we do light rapier fencing (small sword) here in Moscow - I have a fencing hall and work there with amateurs. I give lessons and organize small competitions for the fencers of the only two clubs of Russia who practice this kind of fencing. One in Moscow and another one in Kostroma. We have to use sport blades for epee at present time, but we want to develope our equipment, rules also and methods of teaching. So, I am interested also in exchange of experience and some kind of joint practicing.

Best regards!
Darryl Aoki

PostPosted: Mon 05 Apr, 2010 9:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

One thing I would note as being essential in my opinion is a gorget for all-round neck protection, having gotten hit there a couple of times. I've got a steel gorget, but there are some nice leather ones out there too.

I got my gorget from Horsefriend Armory here in the US, and I've been pretty happy with it, though I don't know how expensive it'd be to get stuff from here (Pacific NW US) to Russia.

http://horsefriendarmory.com

As far as other things go, as long as you're practicing rapier work with swords with arrow blunts on them, a heavy denim jacket over reasonable street clothes makes for decent upper-body protection so long as you're not terribly concerned about looks, in my experience.
E Stafford

PostPosted: Mon 05 Apr, 2010 10:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Andrew Maxwell wrote:
Hi there,

Quite a few people do historical rapier fencing. Are you looking for Spanish or Italian rapier fencing? I don't know much about Spanish fencing, but if you are looking for resources for Italian fencing you should take a look at the Order of the Seven Hearts website (www.salvatorfabris.com).
Tom Leoni and Steven Reich from the website are both good guys (and both members here so they may see this thread in any case). Tom has published a couple of books on Italian Rapier which are, by all accounts, pretty much the best available.

As far as equipment, a lot of people start out with the Hanwei practical rapiers, though they seem to invariably graduate from that to the likes of the Darkwood rapiers. Most people still use standard sport fencing masks, although there are a few people making perf steel masks now (though these are mostly intended for practicing with heavier medieval weapons). Some sort of throat protection (gorget) is a must also; depending on the weapon you're using a fencing bib probably isn't going to be enough. A few people make these but they're not hard to make yourself. I'm not sure about fencing jackets etc (I mostly use a thick gambeson, but I practice medieval weapons, not rapier).

hope that helps
Andy

The Fabris website also has an article on starting rapier fighting/training. Basically, you'd want fencing equipment for protection and then either Darkwood armory or CAS Iberia for the sword. CAS sells Hanwei. Darkwood is more historically accurate. Arms and Armor at armor.com also makes training rapiers now, can't speak for them.
Maltsev Yaroslav

PostPosted: Tue 06 Apr, 2010 3:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As far as I have started my efforts of trying to develope this kind of fencing in my country, so, to make it more popular I need to create an attractive image of "historical rapier fencer". At present time I am testing new fencing jacket designed specially for historical rapier. Soon I will say about the results...
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Tue 06 Apr, 2010 2:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you want to find some rapiers and smallswords made in Europe,

Del Tin, in Italy http://www.deltin.net/home.htm -

Lutel, in the Czech Republic - www.lutel.eu -

I'm not absolutely sure that the Lutel's are blunts. They will definitely be heavier than the swords from Darkwood Armory
Matt L. B.

PostPosted: Tue 19 Nov, 2013 9:42 am    Post subject: Looking for schools that practice rapier         Reply with quote

Quote:
"Are you looking for Spanish or Italian rapier fencing?"

-Andrew Maxwell

Another thing to keep in mind is that some clubs are now combining french stance and footwork with the rapier weapon. If you are more familiar or more inclined towards the french school, you may want to look into that.

Keep in mind though, that very few clubs do.
Steven Lussenburg

PostPosted: Tue 19 Nov, 2013 11:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
If you want to find some rapiers and smallswords made in Europe,

Del Tin, in Italy http://www.deltin.net/home.htm -

Lutel, in the Czech Republic - www.lutel.eu -

I'm not absolutely sure that the Lutel's are blunts. They will definitely be heavier than the swords from Darkwood Armory
That's not their correct link anymore, as far as I understand, you want this link: http://www.lutel-handicraft.com/

Having used both Hanweis and Darkwoods I would advice against a Hanwei as their balance makes them feel much shorter than they really are. I found the grip also too small for my hands. My own rapier is from ArmaBohemia ( http://armabohemia.cz/ ), which I can also recommend.
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Tue 19 Nov, 2013 11:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A new entry into the field - the Albion Marozzo sidesword. I have one on order - it should show up in December.

Attachment: 18.87 KB
[ Download ]
Julian Reynolds

PostPosted: Tue 19 Nov, 2013 11:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would also recommend Marco Danelli, who does fantastic work here in the UK, producing excellent weapons for the HEMA fraternity:

http://www.danelliarmouries.com/

For more specific queries about HEMA and HEMA equipment (including lots of online treatises and resources) I would browse the Schola Forums:

http://www.fioredeiliberi.org/phpBB3/

Julian Reynolds
BFHS Representative
Chapter Admin, Society for the Study of Swordsmanship, Durham Chapter

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Rapiers
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic