Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Celtic Swords? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Oswald Boelcke

PostPosted: Wed 24 Mar, 2010 12:03 am    Post subject: Celtic Swords?         Reply with quote

I received the attached photo from the friend of a friend etc.. It seems that these are prototypes of celtic style swords. While they may not be historically authentic, they are very beautiful, and I sure would like to have one. Rumor has it that a company in India is preparing the production, but I found no other info on the net. Has anyone heard anything about these swords like who is the manufacturer, when and where will they be available?

Attachment: 68.21 KB
[ Download ]
Joel Chesser

PostPosted: Wed 24 Mar, 2010 12:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Something about them screams Deepeeka to me. That would fit with the India production. They remind be a lot of the Lancelot swords from the Disney Kind Arthur movie that came out awhile back. The grips seem to have a heavy baselard influence.
..." The person who dosen't have a sword should sell his coat and buy one."

- Luke 22:36
Antonio Lamadrid

PostPosted: Wed 24 Mar, 2010 12:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Deepeeka is a likely candidate, Al Hamdd Trading Post may be another one.
http://www.al-hamdd.com/index.html

Armamentaria sells some of their products:
http://www.armamentaria.com/store/index.php?m...rers_id=10
Christopher Gregg

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Wed 24 Mar, 2010 7:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

They look more like short sword Holbein daggers, or Degens to me. If they're inexpensive, I might be interested, though. If they are Deepeekas, I'll probably pass Worried .
Christopher Gregg

'S Rioghal Mo Dhream!
Matthew Amt

PostPosted: Wed 24 Mar, 2010 9:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hmm, no, I think Deepeeka's "Celtic" stuff is much more accurate! As I understand it, the whole concept of the "Celtic leaf blade" is basically bogus, since what we define as Celtic culture did not emerge until leaf blades were pretty much out of use. And they were bronze, in that part of Europe, not iron.

Now, the blades on these are a decent shape for a *Greek* iron sword from the Classical or Hellenistic eras. But the hilts are pretty much a loss all around, and the scabbards are only useful for their wood. Historically speaking!

It's interesting that in Western Europe, bronze leaf blades gave way to straight-edged swords that then were copied in iron. (At least that's a basic summary--Jeroen will hopefully correct me!) In Greece, the bronze Naue II sword, with straight edges, evolved into an iron sword which THEN became the Greek leaf-shaped blade! History's mysteries...

Valete,

Matthew
Jeroen Zuiderwijk
Industry Professional

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 24 Mar, 2010 2:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matthew Amt wrote:
It's interesting that in Western Europe, bronze leaf blades gave way to straight-edged swords that then were copied in iron. (At least that's a basic summary--Jeroen will hopefully correct me!)

Ah yes, no Happy In western and most of Europe, the leafshaped Gundlingen and pseudo-leafshaped Mindelheim took over from all previous swords, leafbladed or straight edged, and were then copied in iron and then disappeared alltogether. In south-east Europe as I understand from a few sparse finds, the straight edged antenna hilted swords continued to exist, were copied in iron, became the anthropomorphic swords which then developed into the la Tene swords that spread through Europe (the true celtic swords).

Jeroen Zuiderwijk
- Bronze age living history in the Netherlands
- Barbarian metalworking
- Museum photos
- Zip-file with information about saxes
Matthew Amt

PostPosted: Wed 24 Mar, 2010 4:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Doh! Gundlingens, forgot about them. I was thinking of Mindelheims, but it seems a little bit of a stretch to think of them as leaf-shaped. But I certainly concede the point. Thanks, Jeroen! Unfortunately, that doesn't make the swords shown above any more historically accurate.

Vale,

Matthew
Jeroen Zuiderwijk
Industry Professional

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 25 Mar, 2010 4:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matthew Amt wrote:
Doh! Gundlingens, forgot about them. I was thinking of Mindelheims, but it seems a little bit of a stretch to think of them as leaf-shaped.
That's why I called them pseudo-leafshaped, as they have the leafshape, with a piece of a straight edged sword stuck to it Happy

Quote:
But I certainly concede the point. Thanks, Jeroen! Unfortunately, that doesn't make the swords shown above any more historically accurate.

No, definately nothing to do at all with historical swords, let alone Celtic ones.

Jeroen Zuiderwijk
- Bronze age living history in the Netherlands
- Barbarian metalworking
- Museum photos
- Zip-file with information about saxes
Joel Chesser

PostPosted: Thu 25 Mar, 2010 9:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You know, the more I look at these the more I think that if the the price were right and blades steel and heat treat were appropriate, they might make fun project swords. I'm envisioning some kind of fantasy, hobbit swords or something. Toward that end I even like the guard.
..." The person who dosen't have a sword should sell his coat and buy one."

- Luke 22:36
Shahril Dzulkifli

PostPosted: Tue 06 Apr, 2010 4:30 am    Post subject: Celtic Swords?         Reply with quote

I have an announcement:
For those who are interested with Celtic swords just go to http://www.templ.net/english/weapons-antiquit...le_age.php. Here you can see Czech swordsmith Patrick Bárta's replications of Celtic and other swords based on real ones kept in museums. He also runs the website. Wink

“You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength”

- Marcus Aurelius

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Celtic Swords?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic