Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Girl armor Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next 
Margot S.

PostPosted: Mon 22 Mar, 2010 6:22 pm    Post subject: Girl armor         Reply with quote

Oh hi. I just wanted to see what you guys thought about my pretend kit. Hahah It's not functional... I can move in it, but I'm a tiny girl, so most of the pieces are light weight and wouldn't defend me from real weapons. I really just wanted to go to the medfair with my boyfriend (who has posted his kit here, Robert S. Haile), and I don't have the funds for a dress, especially since it would have to be custom made. :/

I liked the thought of armor, though, so when we decided to do this, I was pretty excited. C: It's a 14th century theme, roughly. Half of it is borrowed, some of it we made. It's just for fun, but I thought I'd get some opinions on it, anyway. Happy (i posted here before, asking about helms. Turns out, I just borrowed one. :'P )

lolface. I kind of looked like crap today since this was only a test run.. I'll look much better for medfair. Sad lol bear with me.

size difference Haha That's our buddy Wayland.
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Mon 22 Mar, 2010 6:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very cool. Happy Helmet looks a bit huge on you but everything else looks really nice.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 22 Mar, 2010 7:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well for an improvise kit it does look very good the only criticism, and I want to say this possitibly, is that the size of the helm is the only thing giving a clue to your being of small size on the other hand with the helm " off " everything looks well proportioned.

The helm works but it does make everything look sort of " cute ": I actually really like it cute but it depends on what your objective is and if you are just wanting to have fun with it.

You look so very serious but awesome with just the coif I would suggest wearing the coif and carrying the helm casually under your arm most of the time at the fair. ( In any case wearing a helm like this get tiring and stuffy from lack of air pretty quick for anyone that holding the helm soonseems like a great idea ).

I hope you take the above " well " as this whole reply feels to me like a potential " land mine " like " Do these jeans make me look fat " kind of question. Eek! Wink Big Grin Cool

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Margot S.

PostPosted: Mon 22 Mar, 2010 7:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

hahaha I get what you're saying. I can deal with looking cute. :') It's half comical that I'm such a small girl, anyway. I would have to have a helm made for me for it to not be too big, so I'll just have to have it big for now. c:

Thanks guys!!
Michael Edelson

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 22 Mar, 2010 7:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Your kit looks great for its intended purpose. Robert S. Haile is a very lucky man. I challenge him to a duel. Happy

btw...who is that young man in Jean Thibodeau's avatar? It can't be Jean, judging by his last avatar that dude is like 90.

New York Historical Fencing Association
www.newyorklongsword.com

Byakkokan Dojo
http://newyorkbattodo.com/
Robert S. Haile

PostPosted: Mon 22 Mar, 2010 7:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Edelson wrote:
Your kit looks great for its intended purpose. Robert S. Haile is a very lucky man. I challenge him to a duel. Happy

btw...who is that young man in Jean Thibodeau's avatar? It can't be Jean, judging by his last avatar that dude is like 90.

En guarde. Cool

We were all pretty pleased with what this throw-together turned out to be. Really not too bad for a fair get-up. I'll make sure to flood this thread with some pictures when we get back.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Mon 22 Mar, 2010 7:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robert S. Haile wrote:
Michael Edelson wrote:

En guarde. Cool

We were all pretty pleased with what this throw-together turned out to be. Really not too bad for a fair get-up. I'll make sure to flood this thread with some pictures when we get back.

Yes very lucky as she seems as bold and courageous as she may be small in stature and with confidence and a great sense of humour ! May we all find a girlfriend who can appreciate dressing up in armour.

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Mon 22 Mar, 2010 7:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Edelson wrote:

" Yes there can only be one " ( Immortality can be such a pain when you have to change identities every 75 years to keep it a secret. Razz )

The old pic in both sense of the word was just bad lighting and a low resolution grainy shot, my thanks to Michael for suggesting that I change it to the new Avatar pic. Wink Cool

There you go all our secrets out in the open. Razz Laughing Out Loud

Now, back to the Topic please.

JE Sarge
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 22 Mar, 2010 8:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

@ Margot: The armor looks quite nice for an improvised work. The only thing I'd might replace is the war hammer. Get you a sword in that belt frog. Happy

@ Jean: The new avatar does look kind of sexy. Wink

J.E. Sarge
Crusader Monk Sword Scabbards and Customizations
www.crusadermonk.com

"But lack of documentation, especially for such early times, is not to be considered as evidence of non-existance." - Ewart Oakeshott
James Head

PostPosted: Mon 22 Mar, 2010 9:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Margot. I think you guys have done a great job on a low budget. Looks beautiful. The belt cinched around your waist and the black thigh pantyhose reveal your femininity. I'd do without the helmet, unless you want to go for that "Chibi" look.
Luke Zechman

PostPosted: Mon 22 Mar, 2010 10:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I like the hammer! Everyone does swords... hammers rock and they are devastating weapons.
Gottfried P. Doerler

PostPosted: Tue 23 Mar, 2010 3:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

i can only approve my predecessors, skip the helmet and it looks just fine.
seems, emporer maximilian`s theory not only fits for man:
"welch gewand könnte einen mann trefflicher kleiden, als eine eiserne rüstung - which garment could enrobe a man more felicitous, than an iron armour"
the coif reminds me of thora birch in "dungeons and dragons" , although less goldy (happily).

Attachment: 33.99 KB
thora_birch_dungeons_and_dragons_001.jpg

Christopher Gregg

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Tue 23 Mar, 2010 5:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Margot, you R-O-C-K!!! Big Grin That's a really cool kit, and yes, leave the helmet off most of the time. You're man is lucky indeed! Have fun and play safe!

BTW, do you ever make it to the Bristol Ren Faire north of Chicago?

Christopher Gregg

'S Rioghal Mo Dhream!
Artis Aboltins

PostPosted: Tue 23 Mar, 2010 6:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Have to echo the others - just get some padded coif under the mail one and it will be perfectly enough - the helmet, while it looks nice does seem somewhat bulky, and it hides your face too.
Romulus Stoica

PostPosted: Tue 23 Mar, 2010 6:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you don't want to wear just a common mail coif, you could go a little more "eastern" and use a misiurka type helmet (used in Poland, Hungary, Transylvania, Wallachia, Moldavia, Russia, Ottoman Empire, Persia and India). It's a sort of mail and plates helmet, a small metal skullcap with mail hanging down from it, sometimes with some small side plates attached into the mail. Could be plain but also richly decorated. I have made one for myself and it was a curiosity for many participants to a medieval fair in Argenteuil / France since helmets of this type are rarely used by reenactors.
And here I am wearing my misiurka helmet a few years ago (sorry for the bad picture):

Here is an russian example you might like:

Last edited by Romulus Stoica on Tue 23 Mar, 2010 6:42 am; edited 2 times in total
M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 23 Mar, 2010 6:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice kit. Blue suits you.

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Keith Staton

PostPosted: Tue 23 Mar, 2010 7:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very Hot Margot. I like the Coif better than the helmet.

And now your boyfriend discovers the universal solution to an arms race as we count the replies per day to your lovely little post, Happy

cheers
Stuart Thompson

PostPosted: Tue 23 Mar, 2010 7:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very nice! It suits you but I do agree with the helm size..I had a similar problem. Helm was my size but slightly wider, a good arming cap under that coif should help with padding/wobbles etc. (I wore two at one stage..a non-padded cap for comfort then a canvas cap stuffed with straw)

No, looks very good Happy you'll be the deadliest belle at the ball eh?! Happy
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Tue 23 Mar, 2010 8:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A cervelière worn under the coif works very well as it give a rigid plate protection under the maille and better protection from blows than the maille alone even when it has some padding underneath.

Something like this: http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=...ret+Helmet

Size does matter since these should theoretically be wearable under a great helm if the great helm and cervelière are a good match in sizes.

In battle the cervelère/coif combination would often be worn in preference to a great helm or when the great helm was removed to fight on foot.

Alternatively the cervelière was at times worn over the padded coif as a small but conventional helm.

Liang Tuang Nah

PostPosted: Tue 23 Mar, 2010 8:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

To Margot:

Surely thou art must be Joan of Arc! How in heavens didst thou survive all these years and still look so youthful?

Seriously though....the third picture makes you look aristocratic....like the young daughter of a bedridden duke sent to the battlefield to command his troops in his stead.....kind of like Queen Elizabeth I in her prime.

The cartridge box, soap box and ballot box.....the first supports your right to use the second which in turn safeguards the right to be assured the third every few years.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Girl armor
Page 1 of 4 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: