Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Arms & Armor March Highlight and a Query Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 

Which of the Swiss Daggers pictured below are you most likely to add to your kit?
A 1480c. Alpine Dagger
57%
 57%  [ 44 ]
B 1520c. Swiss Dagger
22%
 22%  [ 17 ]
C 1550c. Swiss Holbein Dagger
20%
 20%  [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 77

Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

Spotlight topics: 1

Feedback score: 100%
(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Fri 19 Mar, 2010 7:47 am    Post subject: Arms & Armor March Highlight and a Query         Reply with quote

March Highlight Item from Arms & Armor

We will be having a group Highlight this month. It will be a dagger, scabbard and shipping included for 170.00 on any of our crosshilted daggers in stock. Here are the pieces that are currently waiting for new homes.

#062 Medici Dagger
#063 Tudor Dagger
#130 Crusader Dagger
#216 Aunlaz Dagger
#225 Knightly Dagger

Due to some hiccups this morning the ARMS & ARMOR News page does not have the update yet but will soon so check there for all the details.

Also some new pieces on the Muster page as well

Here are some new pieces we are considering adding to our line. We made these as tests to see how we liked the styles and feel of the pieces as well as the process. We thought if would be an interesting idea to offer them up on the muster page but also run a survey to see what those interested in these types of daggers would be most likely to add to their armoury.

Added info:
Just thought I would add a bit of detail. The dagger A is based on one from the Northern area of modern Italy. The grip is a ovoid shape with a smooth unfaceted surface. Dagger B has a bit more of a flatten ovoid shape but still does not have corners in the shape. The cross section could be almost rectangular in description. The C dagger has the faceted hexagon shape with the two edges aligned with the sides being very narrow and the four other facets being the keeled shape visible in the picture. B and C are both based on daggers from the area of modern Switzerland but of course could have been made in that region described in the description on the muster page.

Have a great spring from A&A Inc.

Last edited by Craig Johnson on Fri 19 Mar, 2010 12:42 pm; edited 3 times in total
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 19 Mar, 2010 8:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Whoa, great stuff, Craig! I love the two handed katzbalger on the Muster page! And I may take advantage of this deal to get myself a dagger and sheath...

I think adding the "Holbein" daggers to the main line is a great idea. Personally, of all three of your designs pictured, I think dagger "A" should be the one you put in your regular lineup. There are a few mass produced ones of similar style (typically for WWII reenactors) that are much closer to the C & D designs, so A would be more unique to you guys.

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Christopher Gregg

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Fri 19 Mar, 2010 8:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I voted for "A", since it's kind of unique. Also, I emailed you about purchasing it Big Grin

Best,

Christopher

Christopher Gregg

'S Rioghal Mo Dhream!
Brian K.
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Fri 19 Mar, 2010 1:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I couldn't help it, those Swiss daggers are beautiful. I ordered one for myself.
Brian Kunz
www.dbkcustomswords.com
Joe Fults

(6 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Fri 19 Mar, 2010 1:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm going to jump on the bandwagon of "they all look great but I like A"! Big Grin
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
P. Cha

PostPosted: Sat 20 Mar, 2010 11:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I´m gonna have to vote C...but B is nice too...can I vote three times?
Jonathan Atkin

PostPosted: Sat 20 Mar, 2010 12:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I really like C a lot. The design is very nice and visually appealing.
"If I must choose between righteousness and peace, I choose righteousness''. - Theodore Roosevelt
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

PostPosted: Sat 20 Mar, 2010 4:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I just came back from the Baltimore Antique Arms Show, and I got to pick up an antique dagger that was almost exactly like the "A" dagger above. The whole thing's very corroded, and the grip had long since deteriorated, but the shape of the blade and the guard was nearly identical. Now I think A&A's version is even cooler. Cool
HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Hugo Voisine

PostPosted: Sat 20 Mar, 2010 7:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I vote for the "A" model to be included in the regular production line.

As a side note, I must say that the two handed Katzbalger on the muster page is pretty awesome. I deeply envy whoever ordered it.

« Que dites-vous ?... C'est inutile ?... Je le sais !
Mais on ne se bat pas dans l'espoir du succès !
Oh ! non, c'est bien plus beau lorsque c'est inutile ! »
Mark T

PostPosted: Sat 20 Mar, 2010 10:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill Grandy wrote:
I think dagger "A" should be the one you put in your regular lineup. There are a few mass produced ones of similar style (typically for WWII reenactors) that are much closer to the C & D designs, so A would be more unique to you guys.

Exactly ... and I'm guessing there might be more of us out here who are interested in 15th C gear than 16th ... many of the main re-enactment groups in Europe are 15th C as well ...

It would be great to have something that is traceably 15th C, rather than 'shake'n'bake fakin it' with pieces that are more clearly 16th C.

A all the way!
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 21 Mar, 2010 6:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

So Craig, I've decided that you are deliberately trying to drive me nuts. I've been saving money for an extra special (and pricey) custom piece, and I'm getting close to having the finances together. I've managed to avoid the temptation to purchase one of your stock pieces although that's bad enough, but then you are continually bringing out new items which are absolutely killing me. It's a good thing I didn't log in here until after the two handed katzbalger was sold, or I would have succumbed and purchased it for sure.

Nice job on the "Holbein" style daggers. If I was going to pick just one I'd probably go with C since to my mind it's more stereotypical of the type.

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sun 21 Mar, 2010 7:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:

Nice job on the "Holbein" style daggers. If I was going to pick just one I'd probably go with C since to my mind it's more stereotypical of the type.

Yes but why buy just one. Wink C and A maybe since C is very typical of the evolved type and A seems to be older and closer to the Baselard types and being " less typical " also makes it more or at least equally appealing. Wink Razz Big Grin Cool

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sun 21 Mar, 2010 8:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Russ Ellis wrote:

Yes but why buy just one. Wink C and A maybe since C is very typical of the evolved type and A seems to be older and closer to the Baselard types and being " less typical " also makes it more or at least equally appealing. Wink Razz Big Grin Cool

Jean that's mean...just plain mean, to do that to Russ!! Big Grin Eek! Big Grin

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 22 Mar, 2010 7:14 am    Post subject: A&A Info and comment         Reply with quote

Thank you guys for all the great feedback. It is interesting to hear the comments about the daggers and see what people gravitate towards.

I think we where leaning towards the 15th C dagger (A) ourselves so it is good to see there is appreciation of the type. This of course does not mean we wouldn't be open and happy to anyone needing something along the lines of B and C
Happy

That of course is to drive Russ nuts Eek!

I have to agree with Jean as well that if you pick two or three items it makes the choice easier.

Mark and Hugo I agree that sometimes the 15th C. gets a bit of a pass over by some. It is such a dynamic period of history and one of the most interesting in weapons and armor.

Very interesting Bill that you came across a dagger of the same form, DIdn't take a picture did you? Happy The early forms of this style are interesting. The transition from the classic capital I baselard to the different forms it acquired later.

Interested to hear others comments as well and hope all are having a good spring.

Craig

PS- C is still looking for a home Happy
Mark T

PostPosted: Mon 22 Mar, 2010 1:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Craig, that's great news about you leaning towards A. Now, if you need a little extra nudge at all, then if you *ahem* just happened to offer a pre-production discount to the good folks here, from the comments above, it sounds like a lot of us would take you up on it ... could be a way to lock in some initial orders and cover some of your R&D costs, etc.

Just a thought. Wink
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Mon 22 Mar, 2010 5:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Craig I would also consider the option of making the (a) in a scaled up version half way from large dagger to short sword with a blade between 15" to 20 " , this could be a standard version although I guess anyone could order a fully custom version in whatever historical size they might want I also guess that a production version might be a little cheaper and more readily available.

In any case the regular sized version is O.K. for the medium compact sized daggers with blade between 8" to 12".

It's really good to see rarely produced or reproduced weapons being made.

Oh, you might also consider making an " eared dagger " as these are also rather rare as reproductions.

Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 26 Mar, 2010 10:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Can I just say that you all are an evil influence and contributing to the deliquency of a poor scabbard maker / systems engineer? Razz
TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Steve Maly

Reading list: 23 books

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Fri 26 Mar, 2010 3:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm just disappointed that there wasn't an "all of the above" option! Big Grin
"When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail." ~A. Maslow
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Fri 26 Mar, 2010 6:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Maly wrote:

Even more cruel to Russ ! Yes buy them all, buy more than one of each ..... Razz Laughing Out Loud

Mark T

PostPosted: Sat 27 Mar, 2010 6:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Maly wrote:

Oh, but there was, there was!:

Craig Johnson wrote:
I think we where leaning towards the 15th C dagger (A) ourselves so it is good to see there is appreciation of the type. This of course does not mean we wouldn't be open and happy to anyone needing something along the lines of B and C
Happy

Or do you mean just voting, not purchasing, Steve? Big Grin

Craig: Any idea on the release date for these? We have a major Living History event in my neck of the woods in early July ... would love for 'A' to make a debut there ... Happy

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Arms & Armor March Highlight and a Query
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: