Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Early Kirby Wise Broadsword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Craig D

PostPosted: Wed 17 Mar, 2010 10:06 pm    Post subject: Early Kirby Wise Broadsword         Reply with quote

Hi. New guy here.

I originally joined to ask about the origins of a sword that I picked up recently. However, a bit of poking around on this site's SEARCH function revealed the maker was Kirby Wise. This led me to his webpage, and then to my emailing him. His wife, Laurie, was kind enough to answer my questions in detail.

So much of my immediate reason for joining have been answered, but I thought some folks might still like to see the sword anyway. According to Laurie, Kirby made this pattern of sword in the early 1970s, fairly early in his swordmaking career, so its been kicking around for awhile. The etched motto was added at some point after it left Kirby's hands, and the scabbard is original.

Attachment: 185.78 KB
[ Download ]
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Wed 17 Mar, 2010 11:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Interesting to see such an early example of a swordmaker's work. I suspect it's much better than I could manage!

By the way, as I'm sure everyone will tell you here, medieval swords actually weren't called "broadswords". The term is Victorian in origin, and inaccurate. Medieval people simply would have called the weapon a sword. Later single handed swords were sometimes called arming swords, but that's more in the 15th century. Broadsword actually refers to a type of weapon that appears in the 16th and 17th centuries.
Scott Hrouda

Reading list: 87 books

PostPosted: Thu 18 Mar, 2010 2:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Welcome Craig D!

Thank you for posting this photograph. It's fun to look at early work of accomplished craftsmen in order to appreciate their exponential progress.

...and that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana shaped. - Sir Bedevere

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Early Kirby Wise Broadsword
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic