Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Sallet and Bevor Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Christopher VaughnStrever

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Thu 11 Mar, 2010 6:52 am    Post subject: Sallet and Bevor         Reply with quote

(1) As I have seen on many photos, both modern and period suits of armor; I see how restrictive a bevor could have been. It seems (and in my experience) that when a person turns their head to the left or right – that the bottom of the bevor hits up against the buckle/straps of the breast and back plate. Thus forcing a person to move their entire torso in order to look left to right. Should this be the case? And if this restriction should not be occuring, then what are some ways a person could fix that situation?

(2) As a Sallet is worn; I have seen the visor simply meet up to the bevor - and I have also seen a good amount of the visor overlapping the bevor. Should there be a standard here? Or would a Sallet and Bevor be worn differently? As a personal comfort choice.

(3) Should a bevor be worn very tightly, or loosely?

Experience and learning from such defines maturity, not a number of age
Sander Marechal

Reading list: 17 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 11 Mar, 2010 8:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't know about 1 and 2, but I do know that a bevor should sit really tight on your face. Most reproduction bevors sit too far away from your face. And to accommodate, many reproduction sallets are too big (to fit over the bevor).
Norbert Keller

PostPosted: Thu 11 Mar, 2010 9:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi there!

As a happy owner of a well made sallet and bevor, I tell you what I can:

1. If you wear your sallet and bevor too, it will protect perfectly. BUT your payment for this is that you can't turn your head to side just barely. Because both of them fits very closely/tightly. If not, then you can turn your head, but then it won't protect. My bevor is screwed to my breastplate for better protection. I uploaded pictures about it in the Let's see your kits topic.

2. They should be worn in the same time. That's why the sallet's visor comes down until just the line of your mouth, because the bevor protects your neck, chin and mouth. The sallet's visor should overlap the bevor. My bevor comes up to the line of my nose, and my sallet comes down until my mouth. This way, if I move my head up and down, then they still covered.
And if the visor comes down only until the bevor, you can have accidents, that you can't nod/move down your head, because the armor will stuck, and if you look up, then there will be a big hole between your bevor and sallet. Of course it's still your choice, but don't order a sallet, if you will wear it without bevor.

3.Very, VERY tightly Big Grin You have some small space to breath and to shake your head 1-2 inch to sides if necessary, and a thin layer of cloth inside the bevor.
James Arlen Gillaspie
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 11 Mar, 2010 11:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There are two different sorts of bevors; those that are attached to the breastplate, and those that are not. Bevors attached to the breastplate are best for mounted use, and are a bit roomy; they permit the wearer to turn his head about 45 degrees to either side. They typically have a falling lame that allows full head movement when the lame is dropped. It is not unusual to see illustrations, particularly in Burgundy and France, not really closing the gap all the way between the salade and the bevor. The wearer's nose often peeks out! Laughing Out Loud

Those not attached to the breastplate are much smaller, fit closely to the lower face, and turn with the head. They do not restrict mobility any more than any other helm, typically.

jamesarlen.com
Norbert Keller

PostPosted: Thu 11 Mar, 2010 11:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi!

Here are my helm and bevor. Both very close and tight, but fits well, and it's comfortable. Just perhaps it helps Happy As you see I can open my visor, and then I can turn down my bevor (for example if I would like to drink or sg), if the bevor is "armed" it comes up until the line of my nose.

Attachment: 46.56 KB
sisak_kis kép.JPG

Attachment: 40.25 KB
sisak_kis kép (3).JPG

Attachment: 36.4 KB
sisak_kis kép (1).JPG

Christopher VaughnStrever

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Fri 12 Mar, 2010 5:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Great points and thanks for the replies. This is helping alot.

Norbert, on another note, I notice how the brim of your sallet comes down just above your eyes. Does your Sallet tilt back when you move around quite a bit? If so have you found a way to fix that problem?

I have been informed that a arming cap will fix the situation (Which I will be making soon) That picture you posted seemed like you may have some good insight to that situation. Thanks again.

Experience and learning from such defines maturity, not a number of age
Norbert Keller

PostPosted: Fri 12 Mar, 2010 6:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi!

No, it doesn't tilt, it fits closely, there is leather inside my helm, and I have a "very nice looking' arming cap. The brim of my sallet comes down because only this way I can see correctly out from it.

Attachment: 76.63 KB
[ Download ]
Mark T

PostPosted: Fri 12 Mar, 2010 2:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Christopher,

There's a current thread here, which includes a couple of posts about sallets being worn without bevors (and some of the reasons and contexts that one might not want to): http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=19177 ... just in case that's of interest too.

Mark T

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Sallet and Bevor
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic