Sigurds helm from hylestad church (depicted with regin)
Hello out there, i was wondering if anyone knew where i could find a similar peice for reenacting (2 part spangen with the detail at the apex and nasal coming down both ends) i have seen something similar on tim noyes website but without that practical embellishment. my old helm is rather heavy and uncomfortable and want this if i can get one!

thanks for any help, and if there isn't one out there,there is pronvenance and it looks very practical somone should make one!

Attachment: 62.73 KB
woodpanel2.jpg
the bloke on the left(with the helm on)

Attachment: 44.61 KB
fafnirsheart.jpg
the original
looks like i got the caption wrong! i meant the bloke on the right. :S
Is he wearing the helm backwards, with the nasal in back? Or does the helm have a neck guard?
Quote:
Is he wearing the helm backwards, with the nasal in back?

i was just logging in to state the same thing! my other half picked up on it from the picture! i don't much like the idea of a dark age chav type though.
K J Seago wrote:
Quote:
Is he wearing the helm backwards, with the nasal in back?

i was just logging in to state the same thing! my other half picked up on it from the picture! i don't much like the idea of a dark age chav type though.

Interesting question ? Maybe it's the period version of wearing a baseball cap backwards ?

Never tried it but I guess I could wear my nasal helm backwards ? Might even be useful to do so at times to get unrestricted vision for shooting a bow or when just travelling ?

Never heard of this being done or referred to but maybe we haven't really looked or noticed references to this ? It may have been so common that no one ever thought it would be worth mentioning in writing ?
This guy is cooking, he doesn't need nasal so he might have turned the helm backwards so that it wouldn't bother him while cooking and eating.
The other panels clarify that it is a helm with both nasal and neck guard
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
I agree, it would be a neat looking helm to have reproduced,
Good luck in your quest,
Dan
Helmet
Hi,

Ivor Lawton, many moons ago made a speculative helm based on Sigurd's helm for a friend. Check out this Regia page for an image of the helm.
http://www.regia.org/warfare/helmet.htm

Tim Noyes of Heron Armoury also sells a similair model;
http://heronarmoury.co.uk/index.php?page=helmets

Dave
Helmet
Oops,

Sorry I see you already mentioned Tim. I'm sure he would be happy to undertake such a commission,

Dave

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: