Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Shield found in Japan Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Eric S

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Sun 07 Mar, 2010 11:49 am    Post subject: Shield found in Japan         Reply with quote

This shield was found in Japan, the Japanese for the most part did not use shields and it was probably brought there from a surrounding country or from a trading partner, any ideas?
Gabriel Lebec
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 32 books

PostPosted: Sun 07 Mar, 2010 12:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eric,

Can you supply a little more context, i.e., where did you get these photos?

See these two previous threads on Japanese shields.

FWIW—The design and materials certainly seem very un-Japanese, which meshes with your statement of having been imported. Outside of that I don't claim any recognition of its provenance.

"The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion that stands at the cradle of true art and true science." - Albert Einstein
________
Nat Lamb

PostPosted: Sun 07 Mar, 2010 4:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looks Indian to me, that isn't based on any sholoarship or familiarity, just something about the rim and rivets reminded me of Indian armours and some weapons.
Eric S

PostPosted: Sun 07 Mar, 2010 5:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gabriel Lebec wrote:
Eric,

Can you supply a little more context, i.e., where did you get these photos?

See these two previous threads on Japanese shields.

FWIW—The design and materials certainly seem very un-Japanese, which meshes with your statement of having been imported. Outside of that I don't claim any recognition of its provenance.
I am sure it is not Japanese, it was found there, according to the owner it was found in 1995 in the province of Wakayama, this is the description, "superb battle shield made of multi layer with center spike and jingasa design , forged rivet and hammered iron ,the inside leather holder is gone .58cmin diameter".
Daniel Sullivan

PostPosted: Mon 08 Mar, 2010 3:51 pm    Post subject: Shield found in Japan         Reply with quote

What an unusual find! if only these things could talk.... When I first glanced at this thread, the first thing I thought was someone was looking at an iron jingasa.

Have a couple of lacquered jingasa hanging on a wall and invariably get the "Japanese shields" comment from visitors.

Cheers,
Dan
Timo Nieminen

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Mon 08 Mar, 2010 4:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It occurred to me too, that this looks more like a jingasa than a shield. Even the "official" description notes the resemblance.

It isn't a Korean or Chinese shield. It doesn't look like any kind of battle shield to me. Looks to have attachment points for a strap (a chinstrap?) and no handle.

If it is a shield, and turned up in Japan, what could it be? I'd check the possibility of it being some kind of Taiwanese shield, but otherwise, if it's a shield, might it be a copy of a European buckler?

But it could be a helmet/jingasa or an ornament.
Eric S

PostPosted: Mon 08 Mar, 2010 9:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Timo Nieminen wrote:
It occurred to me too, that this looks more like a jingasa than a shield. Even the "official" description notes the resemblance.

It isn't a Korean or Chinese shield. It doesn't look like any kind of battle shield to me. Looks to have attachment points for a strap (a chinstrap?) and no handle.

If it is a shield, and turned up in Japan, what could it be? I'd check the possibility of it being some kind of Taiwanese shield, but otherwise, if it's a shield, might it be a copy of a European buckler?

But it could be a helmet/jingasa or an ornament.
It has been suggested that it might be a wall ornament, I cant find any other example of a shield with a hand hold attachments like this one, someone might have had a lot of time on their hands. Worried An example of an older fantasy item maybe.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Shield found in Japan
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic