Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Pics from Ohio Albion Round Table party Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next 
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 31 Jul, 2004 7:28 pm    Post subject: Pics from Ohio Albion Round Table party         Reply with quote

Hey folks,
Twelve of us gathered at my house today to check out and play with 9 different Albion swords, and 1 Jody Samson sword. First off, some thanks to:

Albion - for sending us five swords, anbd letting us chop us defenseless pool noodles with them
Joe Fults, Mark Weldon, and Matt Draper - for bringing some of their swords, as well as cutting materials
Nathan Bell, Joe Fults, Mark Weldon - for helping provide historical info as a background to the swords
Everyone who came - for making it a great time. No one even got bloody. Happy

A rainy morning turned into a beautiful sunny afternoon. We chatted about Albion's history and put together an impromptu history lesson to educate some younger folks. The we went outside and attacked pool noodles. 50-60 pool noodles actually. We also had around 50 milk jugs on hand. I believe everyone tried their hand at cutting with at least one sword.

The noodle carnage was incredible. Somewhere there are a bunch of foam peanuts whose daddies won't be coming home tonight......

Here's what we had on hand:
Celtic La Tene
Migration Type D
Gaddhjalt
Templar
Baron
Duke
Landgraf
Regent
Tritonia
Phanton longsword

Here are some pics.

Attachment: 55.15 KB
Groupshot.jpg
The whole crowd.

Attachment: 103.63 KB
carnage1.jpg
Will the carnage never cease?

Attachment: 107.42 KB
carnage2.jpg
Oh the carnage......

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/

Last edited by Chad Arnow on Sun 01 Aug, 2004 8:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Alex Oster

PostPosted: Sat 31 Jul, 2004 10:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Man I am sure that was a day to remember. Its always fun when two+ weeks later you are still finding remnents of the carnage.... on the roof, under the car, in the trees and bushes... Blush

My neighbours asked one day why I had 100 odd 2 liter bottles stacked next to the house filled with water.. WTF?!

I just said, "Physics lesson." Cool

The next day they understood, and kindly returned a few caps and bits that got over the fence. Big Grin
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 31 Jul, 2004 10:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I forgot a very important thank-you. Watching David Kite applying and sharing the knowledge he's gained from the ARMA was really cool.

Having a trained practitioner at events like this can teach people like me a lot.

Thanks, David.

Happy

ChadA

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 31 Jul, 2004 10:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alex Oster wrote:
Man I am sure that was a day to remember. Its always fun when two+ weeks later you are still finding remnents of the carnage.... on the roof, under the car, in the trees and bushes... Blush

My neighbours asked one day why I had 100 odd 2 liter bottles stacked next to the house filled with water.. WTF?!

I just said, "Physics lesson." Cool

The next day they understood, and kindly returned a few caps and bits that got over the fence. Big Grin

It was a good day for sure.

We picked all the shreds we could find. I'm sure we missed some.

Attachment: 114.25 KB
carnage3.jpg

Happy

ChadA

Alex Oster

PostPosted: Sat 31 Jul, 2004 10:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Its a given.. I always find some when I mow the lawn. "WACK!VOOOOM!" Surprised WTF?! Laughing Out Loud (then remembering) "hehe, oh, yea..." then its pick up the little pieces... Worried
Mark Weldon

PostPosted: Sun 01 Aug, 2004 6:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The really special thanks goes to Chad for organizing and hosting this. We all had a great afternoon, well worth the 4 hour drive. As always, it was good to see Joe Fults, Nate and Chad again. However, it didn't seem quite right to have an Ohio gathering without Alex McCracken.

As always, I encourage everybody to attend what ever sword gatherings are available to them. It's always good to meet peo;ple who share an interest.

Mark
Alex Oster

PostPosted: Sun 01 Aug, 2004 8:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

so I have to ask. Did you get a rather funny look when purchasing WalMarts east coast supply of pool noodles?

Do they really work that well?
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sun 01 Aug, 2004 8:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alex Oster wrote:
so I have to ask. Did you get a rather funny look when purchasing WalMarts east coast supply of pool noodles?

Do they really work that well?

I bought them 5 and ten at a time, and I supplied 20 of them. Another guy brought 5, someone else 10, and another guy brought 25.

Pool noodles don't mark up the blades at all. They do require some technique, which I don't have. Happy They're pretty cheap, too. They're not bad for casual cutting.

Happy

ChadA

Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 01 Aug, 2004 3:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It looks like a great time was had by all Chad.

Wish I could have been there!

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Nathan Bell

PostPosted: Sun 01 Aug, 2004 5:15 pm    Post subject: Ohio Round table party (long)         Reply with quote

Well, I had a great time, and had a word or several about it.

First of all, a big thanks to Chad for hosting the event. We Ohio folks have been wanting to have a get-together where some cutting could be done, but we could not make it happen. Thanks for letting us use your place, Chad.

A big thanks to Albion. I find it very remarkable that they are not only willing to send a plethora of swords out as a relative stab in the dark, but they also let us all cut with them as well. I can't think of anyone else that would let a bunch of yahoos like us actually *use* the product before buying, with no commitment....

It was great to see some new faces, and see the old gang again (Alas, though, not quite the same w/o Alex). Quite a nice group of diverse, intelligent and courteous folks.

Now since this thing was about the Albion swords, I thought I would talk about that a bit.

First, for the Albion people, what kind of mechanism could be set up at these "Albionware parties" to allow immediate purchase? For some folks like myself, with a credit card on file, it seems that a quick/call e-mail could confirm an order? But, is there a way to maybe in the future take a sale on the spot?

Now, a few of my impressions of the swords.

These blades are very, very nice and tight and fit and finish. We Ohio Gathering folks have been accustomed to seeing a range of high-end product, from Vince Evans, Kevin Cashen, Eljay, etc. on down the line to higher end production. These pieces exceeded any other production pieces I handled yet. They were on par with some of the custom pieces, as well. They still can't quite compare to, say, Alex's Vince baskethilt, but the fact that such a comparisn could be conceived is remarkable. These are *nice* swords, well put together. You also notice lots of tiny little details in the form and execution that don't really come through in pictures.

My impressions of the individual swords:

Celtic La Tene--what can I say, I like this one just fine *G*. I would have some changes made to it, but those would be aesthetic rather than functional. Handles very well, quick little sword.

Migration D---I spent some quality bonding time with Mark's Migration D. I really like this dedicated cutter, and was quickly learning how it and I work together. light and fast, easy to cut with. Mark, all my little nit-pick commentary means that I am fast trying to decide whether to buy this now, and do my own aesthetic/authenticity upgrade, or wait until Albion comes out with a higher end version, comparable in aethetics to the Jarl/Huscarl...a Migration sword is "on my list"

Gaddhjalt---the one I couldn't help but call the Norman. A very good bit of blade presence and authority with this one. It feels heavy, in a good way---lots of clout, but plenty nimble. I see this as a very nice mounted combat, sword and shield sword. Imagine riding down Saxons stupid enough to come to an invasion without horses *G* I also really liked to simple details of the execution on this one. Never cared much for brazil nut pommels, until i saw this one!

Templar High medieval stuff is not my cup of tea, but this sword is a nimble and agile little guy. Very user friendly, easy and fun to get up to speed with this one.

Baron I didn't think I would care much for this one, but as an early two hander, this baby tracks and responds like a dream. I can really even see some finesse cutting with this one, and plenty of control for tip-cutting. Felt light as a feather, and wield-able with one hand (if one had some skill, which I don't)

Duke This baby is not really to my tastes. However, it has a very in-your-face, no-nonsense feel to it. Once up to speed I would want to be several ranks back in the shield wall, far away from the guy using it. Overall, though, I prefer the Baron for a 2-hand type cutter.

Landgraf Very agile sword. As Joe Fults, (this specimen's daddy) noted, it's more like a single hand-sword with a long grip. Very responsive, tip control is amazing. It is however, quite unforgiving in the cut. A little more skill needed for cutting with this one. OK maybe just a little skill period

The Preciousssss...er the Regent I LOVE this sword. The hollow grinding is fairly moderate, so put to rest any of the worries about a too-thin and fragile edge. It handles as if it weighs MUCH less than actual weight. tip control is great--Je was able to hit a wobbly 2" wide or so pool noodle on the thrust with little difficulty. Cut well too. I LOVE this sword. Personally, I would like to have about 2-3" more length in the blade, and the pommel of the Viceroy *G*, but that is purely my preferences. Great sword!

Tritonia Again, a dedicated high medieval cutter is not really my bag. Put together nicely, and present well, but this thing is a brute. It is a veritabole chopping monster. This sword can be described (by me at least) as nothing else but brutal. Although it can be wielded w/o trouble, I think someone with a good arm and a robust nature could really bring out this one's full potential. I felt that my pencil pushing little chicken wings couldn't really do it justice *g*

Well that's my .02 on these Albion blades, it would be great to hear others' impressions, too.
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 01 Aug, 2004 6:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Nathan,

Gee, it sounds like you almost had a good time Big Grin

I hated to give up my Migration D, so I'm eagerly awaiting a new Migration era sword somewhere in Albions line-up. I'll have to get one.

You bring up some interesting points concerning the Regents hollowground blade. I won't discuss it too much, as I go into the blades structure in my upcoming review. Let me just say that IMHO this is the only hollowground blade currently on the production market that's correctly done. The Regent will change a lot of the misconceptions that have been formed concerning this blade type.

The Regent's design is of a type that's much later in period than where my interests usually lie, but I couldn't help falling in love with it.

My Next Gens. don't look out of place next to my swords by Vince Evans and Peter Johnsson. I think that's saying quite a lot.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
M. Taylor

PostPosted: Sun 01 Aug, 2004 7:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Chad, Glad things turned out so well. But with a lineup like that (swords and people), I don't think you could've missed.
Hopefully there'll be another one of these...

"Only people not able to grow tall from their own efforts and achievements seek to subdue their fellow man."
"Only people not being able to find comfort in their own mind seek to silence others. " - Per Bylund
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sun 01 Aug, 2004 8:13 pm    Post subject: More pics         Reply with quote

Here's Joe Fults:

Attachment: 61 KB
Joecut.jpg

Attachment: 80.7 KB
joepoke.jpg

Happy

ChadA

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sun 01 Aug, 2004 8:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David Kite in attack mode:

Attachment: 124.21 KB
david1.jpg

Happy

ChadA

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sun 01 Aug, 2004 8:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

One of the nice young men Matt Draper brought with him watching the noodle fly at my neighbor's house......

(Sorry I can't remember the name. I'm bad with names. It's either Charles, Mark, Windsor, Durban, or Carl)

Attachment: 67.63 KB
chop1.jpg

Happy

ChadA

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sun 01 Aug, 2004 8:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

More shots:

Attachment: 82.33 KB
Matt1.jpg
Matt Draper sizing one up.

Attachment: 87.86 KB
mark1.jpg
Mark making the noodle bend to his will. :)

Attachment: 75.58 KB
chad1.jpg
Me.

Happy

ChadA

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sun 01 Aug, 2004 8:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Most of the swords at the event.

Attachment: 121.08 KB
swords1.jpg

Happy

ChadA

David Kite

PostPosted: Mon 02 Aug, 2004 10:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ditto on everything everyone else has said; even the thoughts on the swords (except for the Baron. It was fast and powerful, but not what I'd consider light. But then I'm pretty weak too.)

I would definitely do this again Especially if the line-up changes from party to party.

David Kite
ARMA in IN
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Mon 02 Aug, 2004 11:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Great event, but the pool noodles really ended up setting it apart.

Observations...

1. Need ability to order while at the party as already mentioned or at least good "how to" instructions for the next day.

2. Also really need a catalog that shows the swords in the linup so people have something to carry away from the event if sales are the goal, look at the next day, and decide they really need to have something. Right now the format is fun but lacks something sticky (in sales lingo).

3. Need to get another sample set of swords that can go out (essentially Group A and Group B) that are different. This would give everyone a really good reason to do another one of these events a few months later.

4. Event calendar link needs put up on Albions webpage so people can find out where and when these things are being hosted. Information provided should probably include some rules/expectations for people wanting to come. Also a good place to archive pictures of prior events to help generate interest in future events.

5. I must improve my cutting technique. That first picture is terrible form, a decent rising cut but I let the sword travel too far over my shoulder. The second is a thrust that dove a bit.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

Celtic La Tene - Not my cup of tea. Pretty though.

Migration D - like this one and it cuts well enough, but I found the grip uncomfortable in the cut. Probably an issue with me holding it wrong.

Gaddhjalt - This is one a started playing with later in the day, after David helped me with my footwork. At that point I cut very well with it. A good solid weapon.

Templar - Another late player for me. A very effective cutter and another solid weapon.

Baron - A wonderful warsword. I would like the guard to be longer, but that is just a person thing. Very effective and authoritative. Although not as effective in the cut as the Duke which is of similar size, it does have some thrusting abilty the other lacks. An excellent sword.

Duke - This one makes the user look like a noodle cutting hero. It really like to cut. If you want a XIII this has got to be the archtype of the class. I picked this sword to kill my first noodle with because I thought it would cover my mistakes.To its credit everything worked exactly as planned.

Landgraf - As mentioned earlier, I'm almost convinced these were used more single and and halfsworded than two handed based on this model. I'm also very inexperienced so my "conviction" should be taken with a large dumptruck load of salt. However, it serves to make the point that this is a nimble and elegant weapon. Cutting does require a bit more technique than with the more cut oriented blades, but I was able to do quite well with this sword later in the day after making some corrections. Think thrust, thrust, slice and you have the right idea for this one.

Regent - Obviously this sword is the one to get if you want something that grabs attention. In fact I dare say its an attention hog at outings. Its a wonderful sword, cleanly excuted. Before this cutting event I had some reservations about the pommel. In dry handling it bit my hand same when gripping it (the pommel). However, while cutting everything worked just dandy (have to tell Mike).

Tritonia - As unique and well executed as this swords is, I just cannot bond with it. I'm sure it will cut like a banshee, but I could not get it working. This was no doubt an issue of my mechanics and not the sword. I did not try it in the afternoon when things started to click, so that may have been part of the problem.

Overall a great day. Albion may be onto something with this idea. Some rough edges need smoothed out, but it was well worth the drive.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd

Last edited by Joe Fults on Mon 02 Aug, 2004 12:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
Michael Sigman
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 02 Aug, 2004 11:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback and the information. It is wonderful to hear things that need to be improved as well as things that went right. This is a brand new idea that we came up with and only the second party. We will work on some of this for the next ones. Big Grin

I wish I could have been there. It looks like you guys had a lot of fun. The swords that was at this party - were the only ones that we could part with. This is not a "set" kit. There will be different swords if/when Chad holds another one. Big Grin

Again - thanks for the information guys. This helps out a lot. Keep it coming!!

Mike Sigman
Albion Swords

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Pics from Ohio Albion Round Table party
Page 1 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: