Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Help in restoration Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Max J Easom

PostPosted: Wed 03 Mar, 2010 12:22 pm    Post subject: Help in restoration         Reply with quote

I have recently acquired a sword from i think Indonesia or somewhere in that part of the world .However there are a few slight kinks in the blade . The problem is the blade is inlaid with silver .The inlay is in the form of .Either a legend ? or a history ?. Depicted in a garden.With 18 human characters 10 on the left 8 on the right all seated .All seeming to be performing various offices.My question to the forum is ,how can i straighten the blade without destroying the inlay ?.I will in the near future show a picture to the forum.But a photo will not show the kinks in the blade. Max
I'am your servant I'am your guard .I wont desert you for Gold or reward. Keep me beside you closer than wife.I'am your Sword I'am your life
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Wed 03 Mar, 2010 12:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Since you're in London, I'd say your best bet is to consult the folks at the Wallace Collection. The general advice is always to do nothing other than stabilize, but the folks there might be able to green-light more extensive work if they believe that wouldn't destroy historical value (or destroy the sword).
-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 03 Mar, 2010 12:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It sounds like what your describing is the normal slight waving that is common in hand made blades throughout history. These are a normal byproduct of hand manufacture and you risk damagin/devaluing the balde by monkeying with them. If this is in fact what your describing ( if they won't show in a pic they must be pretty subtle and thus what leeds me to believe they're normal forge waving ) leave the blade as is, they're supposed to be there. If its possible to capture the effect you're mentioning in a picture it would help to determine if what you're referencing is some sort of actualy dammage or normal hand made features.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Help in restoration
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic