Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Sneak Preview - The Dane Waxes Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Howard Waddell
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Wed 03 Mar, 2010 8:03 am    Post subject: Sneak Preview - The Dane Waxes         Reply with quote

The long-awaited Dane is getting closer to completion.

Here are photos of the rough waxes Peter sent along today.

A few more photos here:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=5452201...9838441137

Best,

Howy

Albion Swords Ltd
http://albion-swords.com
http://filmswords.com
Bartek Strojek

PostPosted: Wed 03 Mar, 2010 8:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I wonder if I'll be the only one that'll click with "Oooohhh, dane axes in manufacturers section!" in mind. And then " Ah, Dane Waxes... Wait, waxes?" Wink

That said, it looks really impressive, blade in proportion to such average room does looks scary.

And as a side effect, I'm contemplating blue sword right now.
A. Kotlyarevsky

PostPosted: Wed 03 Mar, 2010 9:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It never occurred to me that you could sculpt the parts in wax first! That looks very impressive. I can't wait to be able to sit at my computer and damn the world for my inability to afford any your beautiful work.
M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 03 Mar, 2010 1:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think Wax is how they do all their individual castings.

M.

This space for rent or lease.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Thu 04 Mar, 2010 12:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello!

Yes, carving guard and pommel in wax is the normal procedure when I develop swords for Albion. It allows me to shape these so they have the typical shape of forged originals, without actually forging them. Working in wax allows me to add and remove without constrain. It is a material that allows precise shaping and can be worked rather quickly in the rough: you can use rasps, files, handsaws and scrapers but also turning on a lathe or even mill it if you have such a machine.

I work with simple hand tools, just as it lets me get the character of the forged and had filed part looked like on original swords.

Below I attach another image that show the size and proportion of the sword better. It is my half finished old armour. I am 1.84 cm tall and the pommel reach shoulder height when I stand straight. From tip to pommel the Dane is 147.5 cm ( 53"). The blade, including ricasso is about 107 cm (42"). At its widest the blade is 4 cm (1.57"). The point is 0.4 cm thick (0.16").

Even without pommel and grip, this blade is surprisingly agile. With the long grip it is almost halfway to a pole arm. The blade will allow both cut and thrust and the sturdy ricasso can be gripped to shorten the weapon. Is such a grip it reminds me of a pole axe. The point is both sturdy and sharp. It would probably thrust through padding and possibly burst mail rings. It is narrow enough so that it would only have to break one ring and the result would be a deep wound.

EDIT: adding two close up pics showing details of the ricasso and start of the edges.

Attachment: 53.23 KB
DSC05991.jpg

Attachment: 48.84 KB
DSC05993.jpg

Attachment: 48.45 KB
DSC05994.jpg

Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 04 Mar, 2010 1:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In preparation of the Dane, I have looked at quite a few swords of this family. A feature that just about every one of them share is the wire wrapping that is set at intervals along the grip. It is as a rule done in the same way with domed tack holding down the ends of the wire. Some have leather over the wood but under the wire, other have bare wood below the wire wrap. The Dane will have leather under the wire wrap.

Attachment: 63.88 KB
Pommel.jpg

Attachment: 43.07 KB
P1000350_2.jpg

Attachment: 57.02 KB
P1010004.jpg

Attachment: 97.99 KB
Cross, detail from grip_2.jpg

Bartek Strojek

PostPosted: Thu 04 Mar, 2010 1:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Great pictures!

I really like this bare wood with wire look, especially when it looks somehow "aged" like on the last photo.

Does anyone know why some swords like those had bare wood grips?

Or maybe why most medieval swords had leather grips when bare wood could work too?

I understand that this is probably question like " why some roofs are ceramic and other not", but still I'm curious. Wink

Last edited by Bartek Strojek on Thu 04 Mar, 2010 3:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 04 Mar, 2010 2:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bartek Strojek wrote:
Great pictures!

I really like this bare wood with wire look, especially when it looks somehow "aged" like on the last photo.

Does anyone know why some like that had bare wood grips?

Or maybe why most medieval swords had leather grips when bare wood could work too?

I understand that this is probably question like " why some roofs are ceramic and other not", but still I'm curious. Wink

Good question. I have no good answer. Happy
I think the wood on the sword was actually stained to begin with. Possibly bark from a common type of tree that grows close to water, and has small cones even if it is a leaf tree. I don´t know the name in English. In Swedish it is "Al". Its bark can dye wood into a red/mahogany hue.
Bartek Strojek

PostPosted: Thu 04 Mar, 2010 3:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you for your anwser!

Is this tree Alder perhaps?

I found it by roaming trough Wikipedia, so it may be very wrong guess. Wink
Stephen Curtin

PostPosted: Thu 04 Mar, 2010 8:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Peter, first off I'd just like to say that, so far the Dane is looking awesome, so well done. I was just wondering if Albion had a reason, other than aesthetics, for wrapping the Dane's grip with leather, instead of leaving the wood exposed. This is just my opinion but I think a bare wooden grip, with those sections of wire, would look better, and it would be a unique feature for an Albion sword. Anyway like I said this is just my opinion, and again great work, I can't wait to see the finnished product.
Éirinn go Brách
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 04 Mar, 2010 8:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Stephen Curtin wrote:
Hi Peter, first off I'd just like to say that, so far the Dane is looking awesome, so well done. I was just wondering if Albion had a reason, other than aesthetics, for wrapping the Dane's grip with leather, instead of leaving the wood exposed. This is just my opinion but I think a bare wooden grip, with those sections of wire, would look better, and it would be a unique feature for an Albion sword. Anyway like I said this is just my opinion, and again great work, I can't wait to see the finished product.

Could be offered as an option maybe but the wood only version might mean choosing a different hardwood where the grain and colour would be aesthetically pleasing: With the leather covering the wood only need to be suitable for the grip but can be very plain.

The wood only grip, needing more careful selection and finish might not be lest expensive than the leather covered version as one might assume, and be even more expensive as an option. There is also the cost of having " options. that might increase the price of both versions being less efficient for production reasons than having only one option ?

The leather over wood historically and with reproductions probably helps to keep the grip together since the cord under the leather plus the leather take up some of the stresses that might otherwise split or crack a plain wood grip. ( Just conjecture ).

Aesthetics and tradition might also be a factor historically ? Wire wrapped grips seem to also have been popular depending on period.

Sort of " scared " about the price for this one but I do consider that it will be an Albion hard to resist if one can afford it at all:
Worth putting some money aside or keeping it in mind so as to be able to indulge when it does end up being available.

Very impressive sword Peter. Eek! Big Grin Cool

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!

Last edited by Jean Thibodeau on Thu 04 Mar, 2010 9:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Addison C. de Lisle

PostPosted: Thu 04 Mar, 2010 8:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
The Dane will have leather under the wire wrap.

It doesn't sound like the whole grip will be wrapped in leather; just under the wire wrap. I could have misread though.

www.addisondelisle.com
Greg Mele
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 04 Mar, 2010 8:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter,

A magnificent representation of one of my favorite swords! I can't wait to see the final product.

Greg Mele
Chicago Swordplay Guild
www.chicagoswordplayguild.com

www.freelanceacademypress.com
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 04 Mar, 2010 8:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks guys,

Bare wood can be attractive, but the leather covered grip is going to be both more resilient and wear resistant.
If we made it with bare wood we´d had to establish a new stable wood source and a certain way to get consistent results. Bare wood can shrink and react to varying degrees of humidity. With swords being shipped to different locations around the world you may run into problems.

So, there are possible complications that are avoided by using the proven standard method. We know it works and gives a grip that will last over years and age in a graceful way.

And yes, it will be a wood + complete leather wrap + wire in sections. This will be one strong grip.

I am also looking forward to seeing the first Danes!

Big Grin

Last edited by Peter Johnsson on Thu 04 Mar, 2010 9:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 04 Mar, 2010 9:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bartek Strojek wrote:
Thank you for your anwser!

Is this tree Alder perhaps?

I found it by roaming trough Wikipedia, so it may be very wrong guess. Wink

Yes, it is Alder!
Stephen Curtin

PostPosted: Thu 04 Mar, 2010 9:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter Johnsson wrote:
Thanks guys,

Bare wood can be attractive, but the leather covered grip is going to be both more resilient and wear resistant.
If we made it with bare wood we´d had to establish a new stable wood source and a certain way to get consistent results. Bare wood can shrink and react to varying degrees of humidity. With swords being shipped to different locations around the world you may run into problems.

So, there are possible complications that are avoided by using the proven standard method. We know it works and gives a grip that will last over years and age in a graceful way.

And yes, it will be a wood + complete leather wrap + wire in sections. This will be one strong grip.

I am also looking forward to seeing the first Danes!

Big Grin

Thanks for the quick reply Peter. Thats pretty much what I was thinking but its alway best to here it from the horses mouth (not that your a horse or anything ) Big Grin

Éirinn go Brách
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

Feedback score: 100%
(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Thu 04 Mar, 2010 11:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

So elegant, Peter! Beautiful! I have a long pommel like the one in the first antique photo you show above, and was thinking about using it on my Swedish project. It's great to see one up close. And that faceted grip! I swear I'm not trying to steal your ideas! I didn't know this sword was on the way.
-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Rusty Thomas

PostPosted: Fri 05 Mar, 2010 6:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have had this sword paid off for several years now and, just like I knew it would, the pictures are exceeding my expectations. I'm almost giddy knowing that this amazing sword is going to be ready soon! No I take that back I AM giddy! I know it will be more than worth the wait! What an incredible looking weapon! One question though. Are we going to get a choice in grip color for this beast? Thanks
Steve Lister

PostPosted: Tue 23 Mar, 2010 7:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Fantastic sword! I queried Peter many years ago about commissioning a reproduction of the Svante Nilsson Sture sword and Mr. Johnsson directed me to Albion saying thay had a forthcoming project that would make me very happy. Needless to say, I've been a big fan of Albion since and the Dane is the sword I've most looked forward to.

I want mine with the light brown (Campaign Worn) leather grip--should look great with the wire wrap.

Many thanks to Peter and Albion for all the hard work that goes into these recreations!
Sean O Stevens

PostPosted: Wed 31 Mar, 2010 10:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is going to be a big, beautiful beast! Big Grin I am personaly more interested in the Maximilian... I think its going to be stupid beautiful... but I like the look of the Dane as well.

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Sneak Preview - The Dane Waxes
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: