Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Could the burgonet be adapted into a modern military helmet? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Adam D. Kent-Isaac

Reading list: 2 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 01 Mar, 2010 1:13 am    Post subject: Could the burgonet be adapted into a modern military helmet?         Reply with quote

I was thinking earlier that soldiers in the Middle East right now probably face more of a threat from IEDs and shrapnel than they do from rifle fire. So many soldiers have come back with wounds to the face and eyes from shrapnel that's hit them. With this in mind, it seems like a flip up visor could be a useful addition to a helmet. The design I am thinking of is the close burgonet of the early 1600s. Not the type with a buffe but the kind with a pivoting visor which would be raised most of the time. Something like the image I posted below. The cheekpieces of the closed burgonet design offer good protection to the sides of the face and the chin, something that modern combat helmets don't seem to have (although other kinds of helmets, like motorcycle helmets, do.) There could be ventilation slits to keep it cool. The visor could be constructed of a hard and strong but transparent material that would make it easy to see and limit peripheral vision as little as possible. Furthermore the visor could easily be flipped up and down. In the event of a suspected IED in the area, the visor would go down and protect the soldiers' faces from potential damage from shrapnel. Hell, even the comb on top of the burgonet design could be useful in a modern context, for deflecting falling debris away from the center of the skull and causing it to glance off.

So what downsides am I missing here? Input from those who have used actual combat helmets in the field would be especially useful.

Pastime With Good Company
Artis Aboltins

PostPosted: Mon 01 Mar, 2010 2:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think the main downside would be limited hearing - so unless there is some sort of built-in sound enhancing system, that might leave soldiers in full helmets at a disadvantage.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 01 Mar, 2010 3:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Artis Aboltins wrote:
I think the main downside would be limited hearing - so unless there is some sort of built-in sound enhancing system, that might leave soldiers in full helmets at a disadvantage.

Heat and air but not insolvable with technology and to make it worth it it would be more than just passive protection but involve heads up displays, communication, night vision, motion detectors, zoom magnification, sound enhancement while blocking off damaging and distracting sound filtering i.e. next to a roaring tank engine the electronics would minimize the sound from the tank and let you hear a pin drop at 50 yards.

Anyway think, augmented battle suits armour and " HALO " or " IRON MAN " . Wink

But historic helmet shapes like the burgonets might be used rather than the metal pot helmet as the starting point in the design ?

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Michal Plezia
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Mon 01 Mar, 2010 6:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/3931/lemurd.jpg

And there are more and more designes like this. Complete armour suits for gunners are used in Iraq and Afganistan.

http://www.stripes.com/articlephoto.asp?secti...mp;count=3

http://www.tactical-life.com/online/tactical-...ial-armor/

The full plate armour is back people Happy Even if it isn't made mostly of steel.

www.elchon.com

Polish Guild of Knifemakers

The sword is a weapon for killing, the art of the sword is the art of killing. No matter what fancy words you use or what titles you put to
it that is the only truth.
David Cooper

PostPosted: Mon 01 Mar, 2010 3:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I certainly wouldn't like to try and sight a rifle while lying down if I was wearing it Big Grin
The journey not the destination
Jonathan Atkin

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Mon 01 Mar, 2010 8:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

We actually have things like this http://www.mtekweaponsystems.com/ to help protect our heads though I'd love to have an henry VIII armor just not in a 130 degree heat lol

edit Michal Plezia beat me to it shucks

"If I must choose between righteousness and peace, I choose righteousness''. - Theodore Roosevelt

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Could the burgonet be adapted into a modern military helmet?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic