Indo-Persian sword belts & baldrics - details needed, pl
I am trying to put together a complete Indo-Persian "kit" of weapons and armor. Thus far, I have a kulah khud (modern repro); chainmail hauberk (modern repro); 14" steel dhal (modern repro); 2 tulwars (19th century antiques); katar, sans scabbard (19th century antique); and an incomplete 1850's bazuband I plan to restore.

I have no baldric to hang a tulwar from, nor do I have a belt or sash to hang the katar from. For that matter I need details on just how a katar was worn. I know how to work with leather and metal, but I need the details on how to correctly construct these items (no silver, gold, or precious/semiprecious stones, though!).

Can anyone help me out here?
The Katar is usually shown being worn trusted through a sash like all the other daggers, sometimes bare-bladed. I'll see if I can dig up an illustration

Attachment: 89.42 KB
[ Download ]
I found this picture in a Royal Armouries book on Indian armour:

And check out these:
Thanks! That gives me a place to start, anyway. I wonder if the baldric on the Sikh armor is fabric, or fabric-covered leather. Interesting that in the other pics, it looks as though only the nobles are carrying katars in their sashes.
Hi,
This is the suspension setup on an antique Tulwar scabbard from Northern India.
Regards,
Norman.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: