Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > GI Sharpening Stone how to? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
James Masters

PostPosted: Mon 22 Feb, 2010 10:43 pm    Post subject: GI Sharpening Stone how to?         Reply with quote

I have a GI sharpening stone, the one in the picture attached.

main problem is i don't know if this stone needs water or oil or what. it is the only stone i have and im new to the whole sharpening thing. i have a few short blades that i want to sharpen, so i got this little stone. i know its a tad small to be overly practical i will get a larger one eventually.

anyways straying off a tad. if anyone can tell me what needs to be done to sharpen a small blade up with this it would be massively appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Nekroze

Attachment: 36.6 KB
GI-Sharpening-Stone.gif
My sharpening stone
Hadrian Coffin
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 22 Feb, 2010 11:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello,
Oil works well, pretty much any oil (motor oil, gun oil, olive oil...). You can use water, or just sharpen dry. It doesn't really matter. Sharpening can be a tad tricky, once you get the hang of it however it becomes second nature...like riding a bicycle. With that little stone though, it is going to be very tricky. If you have blades of any value I would advise NOT sharpening until you've had a bit of practice. I often refurbish and buy used knives, the most common problem I get is messed up edge geometry from amateur sharpening (this destroys value). The worst is when people that have no experience use electric grinding wheels! What I would advise doing, is going into a Walmart and buying a ton of $0.99 knives and practicing...try using various oils and honing solutions, water, plain stones, etc.
Cheers,
Hadrian

Historia magistra vitae est
Dan P

PostPosted: Tue 23 Feb, 2010 6:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It takes practice to become good at free-hand sharpening. If your milage is like mine, you'll probably ruin the first and maybe the second knife you try it on. I've gotten pretty good at putting edges on small knives, but all my knives are "working" so I don't care if they get a little scratched up.

One thing I always heard was that if you use oil or water on a particular stone, you want to continue using that medium on the stone the next time you sharpen. Not sure this is true or not though.

So the way I learned to sharpen was to use a cheap knife and a permanent marker. Use the marker to color over the edge bevel of the knife, and then use the stone to sharpen off the marker. This'll let you spot places where you're being uneven on the stone and where you're holding the blade at the wrong angle. Don't force the knife into the stone- just let it rest and "find its own angle", so to speak. I guess there are better guides out there on the internet but this is my tips.
James Masters

PostPosted: Tue 23 Feb, 2010 4:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks guys, gotta get some oil now.

will return if i have another question, thanks again.
Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Tue 23 Feb, 2010 4:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Also get a good leather strop to remove the wire edge you are going to get when sharpening any knife. I don't personally use a strop, opting instead for a leather scrap, but then I like to do things the hard way.

Practice, practice, practice, preferably with something inexpensive to start off.

Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Tue 23 Feb, 2010 6:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

James Masters wrote:
Thanks guys, gotta get some oil now.

will return if i have another question, thanks again.

For a novice at sharpening I would recommend the Spyderco sharpmaker:
http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=77

Demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yVN9lLVPM4

Just Google Sharpmaker and you will see many YouTube clips showing how to use it.

After a while you might be able to use a flat stone freehanded since the principle of keeping the angle constant is the same and your wrist learns to keep a consistent angle.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Hadrian Coffin
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 01 Mar, 2010 1:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello again,
I was browsing a website when I came upon this article (http://www.ebladestore.com/sharpening_tips.shtml), I thought it had a well described approach and reminded me of this topic. I do hope this comes of some use to you.
Cheers,
Hadrian

Historia magistra vitae est

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > GI Sharpening Stone how to?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic