Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > Feb 1: myArmoury.com news and updates Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  

How much knowledge do you have about sword and buckler combat?
I'm very knowledgeable and I practice it as a martial art
8%
 8%  [ 30 ]
I'm knowledgeable, but am only a novice practitioner
20%
 20%  [ 72 ]
I'm familiar with it, but I don't practice it
35%
 35%  [ 128 ]
I'm not familiar with it now, but I'm interested
28%
 28%  [ 102 ]
I don't have a lot of interest in the subject
7%
 7%  [ 27 ]
Total Votes : 359

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 01 Feb, 2010 12:00 am    Post subject: Feb 1: myArmoury.com news and updates         Reply with quote

Today's update:

myArmoury.com Bookstore

Our Bookstore's Triumphant Return

Arms & Armor Scholar Sword

A hands-on review by Bill Grandy

Arms & Armor English Buckler

A hands-on review by Bill Grandy

Arms & Armor Round Targe

A hands-on review by Pamela Muir

As always, you can see our Complete History of Updates listed right from our home page.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sat 20 Feb, 2010 10:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This was published a couple weeks ago and I forgot to announce it in the forums.

Enjoy the surprise update!

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Michal Plezia
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Sun 21 Feb, 2010 4:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice update Happy

I like the style of Bill's reviews.

www.elchon.com

Polish Guild of Knifemakers

The sword is a weapon for killing, the art of the sword is the art of killing. No matter what fancy words you use or what titles you put to
it that is the only truth.
David Lohnes

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Sun 21 Feb, 2010 6:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I was very happy to see this new content, especially the buckler reviews. I've always been turned off by the funky shape of the AA English buckler, but reading Bill's review gave me a new perspective. Thanks so much for taking the time to write these!

By the way, if you ever have a chance to add a piece on sword and buckler to the "Call to Arms" section, that'd be great too. It's hard to remember now, but the article on German longsword in the "Call to Arms" section is the way I learned that the informed study of HEMA was possible. I'd done a google search for something or other that led me to myArmoury, and then I saw that article. Ever since (even though I've got a HEMA library now) I've wished for one in the same style (with all the cool pictures and stuff) about a single-handed sword and a shield (which from a HEMA perspective we know is sword and buckler).

This community does great work!
Sam Blanchard

PostPosted: Sun 21 Feb, 2010 6:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I thought Bill's review was quite interesting as well, but I have to wonder if he meant to say "concave" instead of "convex." I've been awake for far too many hours, but looking at those pictures, it sure looks concave to me.
Jared Smith

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Sun 21 Feb, 2010 6:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The updated format is very nice.
I especially appreciate access to reviews by forum members who are already fairly knowledgeable about the subject of arms and warfare, and know how these books compare to many others. Many other popular on-line bookstore reviews and comments tend to critique these types of books from a perspective of; "Is it a good purchase for someone new to the subject?"

Absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence!
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 21 Feb, 2010 9:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sam Blanchard wrote:
I thought Bill's review was quite interesting as well, but I have to wonder if he meant to say "concave" instead of "convex." I've been awake for far too many hours, but looking at those pictures, it sure looks concave to me.

Hmmm... I guess it depends on which angle you're looking at it. From one side its concave and the other its convex. Happy I guess its kind of like saying "the upper half of the sword", where some people view that as being towards the grip (as if the sword were sheathed), and some people mean it to be the half towards the point (as if the sword were ready to cut downward).

You know, those pictures were from a long time ago, well before this article was published. My buckler certainly does not look so shiny anymore! Happy

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Sam Blanchard

PostPosted: Sun 21 Feb, 2010 3:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill Grandy wrote:
Sam Blanchard wrote:

Hmmm... I guess it depends on which angle you're looking at it. From one side its concave and the other its convex. Happy I guess its kind of like saying "the upper half of the sword", where some people view that as being towards the grip (as if the sword were sheathed), and some people mean it to be the half towards the point (as if the sword were ready to cut downward).

You know, those pictures were from a long time ago, well before this article was published. My buckler certainly does not look so shiny anymore! Happy

Gotcha. I was looking at the opponent's side of the shield (almost said "outside", but even that could be open to interpretations).
Christian Henry Tobler

PostPosted: Sun 21 Feb, 2010 4:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I can't help but be pleased with the timing of Bill's review of the A&A Scholar's Sword, as I just fenced with it during the sword and buckler assault in my martial challenge with Maestro Sean Hayes at the 4W event in Seattle. I purchased it specifically for the event, and will ordering another to match it within the next day or so.

This is a magnificent bouting tool, as are the A&A Fechterspiels we used in the longsword passes. Great stuff as always; thanks to Craig and company for providing us with the goods we need for "that thing we do."

Cheers,

CHT

Christian Henry Tobler
Order of Selohaar

Freelance Academy Press: Books on Western Martial Arts and Historical Swordsmanship

Author, In Saint George's Name: An Anthology of Medieval German Fighting Arts

Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > Feb 1: myArmoury.com news and updates
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic