Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Sword Protection When Travelling Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Bryan W.

PostPosted: Thu 18 Feb, 2010 1:44 pm    Post subject: Sword Protection When Travelling         Reply with quote

Hey all. Just curious what people do/have had luck with when trying to protect your pieces when moving?

Obviously don't pack them in a general freight crate but even in a car (or trunk) they tend to get jostled around, creating scratches or worse. Anyone know any tricks have that have worked in the past? Or just use a padded sword bag and hope for the best?
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 18 Feb, 2010 1:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wrap 'em in cheap frabric, throw 'em in a box. Done.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Thu 18 Feb, 2010 2:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've got mine stored in a plastic rifle case. This seems to protect them pretty well. However, it's really only good for about 4 to 5 swords, and not so useful for other weapons.
Joel Chesser

PostPosted: Thu 18 Feb, 2010 2:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bubble wrap plus news paper, and then pack them in an appropriately long box? You could put a layer of egg crate foam used used for mattress or some of the blue rolled foam pads used to go under sleeping bags for extra protection if you wanted to.

When I have moved in the past it has not been very far, just across town, so I have just placed all my pieces in there scabbards, and then placed them in a long bag and that has worked fine for me.

..." The person who dosen't have a sword should sell his coat and buy one."

- Luke 22:36
Bryan W.

PostPosted: Thu 18 Feb, 2010 3:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I was going to wrap in fabric, bubble wrap, box and then put them in the back seat but I was curious if anyone else did anything different. Its going to be a long drive and I'm just planning ahead.
Jim Mearkle

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Thu 18 Feb, 2010 3:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A lot of people I know use the hard shell golf bag cases used when flying with golf clubs.

http://www.google.com/products?q=golf+hard+sh...aq=f[/img]

Jim
Eric Allen

PostPosted: Thu 18 Feb, 2010 4:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you have a scabbard, just toss it in there, stuff it in the back seat or trunk, and you're good to go.

I've transported two swords between Iowa and Texas a few times now. One has a scabbard, and the other I simply wrapped in a piece of fabric (some spare wool, but pretty much any fabric would do) held on by rubber bands. Just set them in the back with the rest of the luggage. No scratches, dings, scuffs, or anything of the like. I've also put swords in a long cardboard box and stuffed them in the U-haul with the rest of the possessions. No problems.
If you are trusting a moving company, or you really REALLY want extra protection, or you are going to be traveling by airplane, go down to your local sporting goods store and purchase a hard rifle case. Just make sure its long enough.
Bryan W.

PostPosted: Thu 18 Feb, 2010 4:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The problem Im concerned about with the rifle cases is most of my swords are smallswords with guards that aren't as flat as say....a broadsword so I'm a little concerned about sticking them in a gun case where pressure will be placed for a time either on the guard or the blade at a decent angle....granted most of my stuff is higher quality but I still don't feel like risking it
Michael B.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 18 Feb, 2010 6:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have a hard shell traveling golf case. I've traveled from Alaska, to MN, WI, and up and down the East Coast with it. When I did the traveling with it, I had two long swords, a mortuary hilt sword, and an arming sword in the main case, and a buckler and mail gauntlets in the side pockets. I put a shirt in the top to pad the hilts, but everything survived all the different airlines with no scratch. A rifle case would be a good bet for one or two blades. I do like something with wheels though, makes navigating the airports easy.
www.facebook.com/bearmountainforge2
Michael Bergstrom
Stuart Thompson

PostPosted: Fri 19 Feb, 2010 8:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A case for fishing rods/gear works well. Can fit a sword and an axe/short spear with room for padding/packing material.

Works well if reliant on public transport, before i'd happily wander on a train in my kit with sword hanging proudly from my belt 'fixed' or tied down so it couldent be removed from the sheath. A little idea i've had is to cut a sleeping bag down, sew the side and hem the edges for a closer fitting and padded case.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Sword Protection When Travelling
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic