Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Hey Lee , James 's shields are paintable . I'm glad you like them . James has really done a fantastic job on them .
He's got plans for a full line up of shields . James , stop posting and get to work ! Opps I guess that would aply to me to .
lol.
As Allan said I just use a light stain, not a coating or penetrating varnish. I mostly just apply it to protect the wood and bring out the woods beauty, but I know that once everyone gets their shield they will want to paint it with their own design. Although historically they were also covered with cloth or leather and that was painted, so on the off chance it did see more than one battle the old material could be removed and a new cloth covering could be applied and painted. I try to finish them as much as I can, but still leave them as unfinished as possible, so once you get your shield you can make it "your shield." Hopefully that made sense. Oh and Allan it is 110 degrees out there, you go work in it!!
thanks for the info guys
The straps and guige look great on the shields.

The stuff I got to see at bladeshow was very nice too.

Any chance of you guys doing historically accurate-ish riveted mail?
Joe Fults wrote:

Any chance of you guys doing historically accurate-ish riveted mail?

Hi Joe,

Not anytime in the near future, I'm afraid. Riveted mailled takes an enormous amount of time compared to butted maille. Right now we have all we can do to and keep production up with that.

Still, I would love to be able to do some work in riveted maille, perhaps starting with our aventails.

Harlan
15th Century legs
Just wanted to give a big thumbs up to Harlan and the boys. Just got in the 15th century legs, and I must say I am pretty impressed! The finish is pretty good and the quality of construction excellent for a "munitions" grade piece. For those on a budget, looking for a good piece of armor for recreation, WMA use or even collecting, I cannot recommend Mercenaries Tailor enough. I had previously seen a couple other pieces of their work, so I can say in all 5 pieces that I have run across, the quality has been very consistent. Good job guys!

JB
Heads up guys....

Prices on products from The Mercenary's Tailor will increase 20% on August 1st!!
Place your order before August 1st and still get the lower prices!
Price Increase Deadline
Michael Sigman wrote:
Heads up guys....

Prices on products from The Mercenary's Tailor will increase 20% on August 1st!!

:?: It seems the deadline has been moved up. I was going to place an order for the Anglo-Saxon helm, and no more orders are being accepted at this time. :mad:
Re: Price Increase Deadline
Steve Grisetti wrote:
Michael Sigman wrote:
Heads up guys....

:?: It seems the deadline has been moved up. I was going to place an order for the Anglo-Saxon helm, and no more orders are being accepted at this time. :mad:

Check out their web at albion http://www.albionarmorers.com/armor/mercenary/tailor.htm. Looks like that fair is going to be something!
Steve We weren't consulted about this so as far as i'm concerned your Anglo-Saxon helm is still in stock at the original price through tommorow . We built 'em we know whats around . Feel free to contact us about any other items your interested in .
Allan Senefelder wrote:
Steve We weren't consulted about this so as far as i'm concerned your Anglo-Saxon helm is still in stock at the original price through tommorow . We built 'em we know whats around . Feel free to contact us about any other items your interested in .

Allan - Thanks for the quick response. :D I have always liked that piece, and have a special fondness for it, since my daughter lives in York, where the original was found. My daughter's husband, in fact, is an archeologist there. I presume I still place the order through Albion, so I will contact them this morning.

Steve Grisetti
Mercenary's Tailor Anglo-Saxon Helm
I received my Anglo-Saxon Helm today. A beautiful piece, exactly as specified - that is, munitions grade, not something that one would expect a king to wear on his throne. But a work of art in meeting its purpose. Even my wife, who rolls her eyes at the pointy things that I am starting to accumulate, commented on that the helm is beautifully done.

This is also a substantial, functional helm, and would clearly withstand a lot of abuse, such as pitched battle. I can't imagine why the box was marked "fragile". I guess that marking must have been for the box, itself.

Well done, Allan.
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Page 3 of 3

Jump to: