Del Tin Lombard / Migration period swords
Does anybody know anything about the Del Tin lombard swords?
I found them here

https://www.ratatoskr.de/Laden/themes/kategorie/index.php?kategorieid=102

(I couldn't find them on the Del Tin site)

Are they any good? I'm looking for a nice migration period sword and I can't afford a "really" expensive one, but of course I'm not interested in one of these ultra cheap looking decoration swords. I own a Paul Binns Viking sword and I'm looking at least for that kind of quality.

Does anyone own one of these?
http://heronarmoury.co.uk/page.php?page=swords/1-8/migration
del tin
Andreas,
I have the lombard, which is #2071 on the Deltin site, and the scandinavian #2080. They are the only early period swords I have, so the comparisons are difficult to make. The closest I have in my collection to compare with is my early Gothic by Cervenka, (#200016) in his catalogue.
The Cervenka sword is listed at 1400 gr, but seems much lighter than either DelTin although they weigh in respectively at 1190 gr for the Lombard and 1650 for the Scandinavian, the great difference being the result of the grip as the heavier scandinavian has a cast metal grip.
In handling, both Del Tins feel blade heavy when compared to the Cervenka.
Del Tin will deliver rapidly. Cervenka has a waiting list, but you never know.
Happy hunting.
Jean-Carle
I've never seen (or handled) one in person, but the Del Tins do look quite good. The hilts are cast though, and therefore not completely accurate. Interestingly, the swords they chose to reproduce are quite high status ones, and therefore more difficult to get completely right. Still, they may be a good value for money.

Tim Noyes makes good quality reenactment swords, similar to Paul Binns. Some of the ones pictured look quite good, but perhaps they are more intended for reenactment (thick blades with round edges). I've never seen a sharp one by Tim Noyes, so I can't comment really.
I have the 2071, and it's a pretty nice sword. Weight is acceptable (to me, anyway), at right about 2.75 lbs. I don't find it really blade-heavy, since the balance on mine is decent. The hilt is just a little bit restrictive, but this is most likely accurate (us moderns just don't know how to properly grip real migration-era or Viking swords). The only problem I noted is with one of the rivets on the sandwiched pommel, it's a bit sharp, but this is easily remedied through the judicious use of a file, or by gripping the hilt from the other side, completely avoiding the pointy bit altogether.

I say that the 2071 is a good approximation of a migration-era sword at a fairly affordable price.
Thanks a lot for the info! Very helpful! I just bought a spatha from Tim Noyes and in a few months I'll go for a 2070 or 2071 from Del Tin.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: