Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > If you could wear any sword you want, what would it be? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next 
James R.Fox

PostPosted: Tue 03 Nov, 2009 9:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sirs- I'd carry a Gladius, It's good on defence, perfect for stabbing and cutting, and not so big as to get in the way,
Ja68ms
JG Elmslie
Industry Professional

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Thu 05 Nov, 2009 6:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Herbert Schmidt wrote:
You know that in Austria it is still legal to carry a sword? Although public acceptance may be a bit low and if someone feels threatened then you have to remove it... which could mean 2 m after your doorway. But still.... I crossed town with sword in hand and had no trouble whatsoever, even when I passed two police officers.

Herbert

likewise, if there's a reason, it's technically legal in the UK, beleive it or not.

the only time I ever got stopped carrying sword(s) in Edinburgh was one occasion where as I passed a police officer, he asked "is that a real sword?" to which I said that it was blunt, and for western martial arts...
his next response... "ok. can I have a look, it's really pretty!"

spent 5 mins chatting to him about reenactment and martial arts Happy

infact on one occasion there was a big parade event on, and huge crowds streets closed etc, and police everywhere... and I walked back carrying a rapier, longsword and some wasters, and did'nt get a single question as to why I was walking through with 'em.

though its not as absurd (and inconsistent) as the buses... who once let a couple I know onto the bus with spears...
they travelled to the location they were going, and removed the spearheads after the practice so someone else could do some work on them...
and the bus driver on the way back refused to let them on with the poles as they were dangerous.

*facepalm*

that said, I doubt I'd like to do the same carrying in london...
W Cotton

PostPosted: Fri 06 Nov, 2009 1:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi guys, first time posting on here so please bear with me, I think i'd have to go with a custom creation, Christian Fletcher Venetian Sidesword with a Ric Furrer, backsword style blade with a sharpened false edge
Quinn W.

PostPosted: Wed 09 Dec, 2009 11:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm a huge fan of your good old fashioned knightly "gete swerds," but since those and all my "favorites" were designed times where armor was equally commonplace, I have to admit that that a cutlass or rapier of some sort would probably be better for the closer quarters, unarmored combat that would happen nowadays (gladius is a good call too, actually). Of course if I were doing it for fashion purposes only and not so worried about using it as a weapon, then of course I would go with an Albion Duke or something along those lines.
"Some say that the age of chivalry is past, that the spirit of romance is dead. The age of chivalry is never past, so long as there is a wrong left unredressed on earth"
Glenn A. Plant

PostPosted: Wed 09 Dec, 2009 1:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wakizashi or Rapier. Depends on my mood.

A few years back I decided to make a one handed straight sword from ¼” bullet proof steel. Somehow the cutting torch did something to the steel, and the blade ended up curved. So I made a Wakizashi. My brother made a matching wooden sheath and handle that are simple yet beautiful.

Yes, it is legal to publicly wear a sword in most places here in the USA. I sometimes do for costume purposes. I am always careful to never fully draw a blade in public places (partial draw to show the curious). It helps if I am wearing a hauberk, which makes the sword not stand out as much. “He’s wearing a sword AND chainmaille? Well, that’s ok then.”

“The great difficulty in arguing with logic against and illogical proposition is that the illogical proposition does need to make sense.”
A. Spanjer

PostPosted: Fri 05 Feb, 2010 11:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is one of those scenarios I love to dream about.

For regular everyday carry I'd carry a simple hanger on a baldric. Since I dress rather plainly (shorts and a t-shirt) anything fancier would look out of place.

For semi-formal events I'd wear a slightly fancier cutlass, similar to this, but with a plain steel hilt and a different design in the basket.

For formal events I'd wear a nice smallsword.

And last but not least, if I were in formal Highland attire or expecting trouble I'd carry my Scottish Basket-Hilted Broadsword.

Of course, these would all be worn with a Dirk on my left side.

Na sir 's na seachain an cath.
Ian Nathaniel Cohen

PostPosted: Mon 08 Feb, 2010 9:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

With my build, I'd go with a colichemarde smallsword, which I've heard is ideal for dueling. (Not that I'd actively seek out duels, but it sounds like it's a practical yet lightweight sword to carry around for self-defense if needed)
Shahril Dzulkifli

PostPosted: Fri 12 Feb, 2010 8:09 pm    Post subject: If you could wear any sword you want, what would it be?         Reply with quote

I think I would be carrying the British Victorian Army Officer's Levee Sword and it closely resembles the swords carried by army officers, royals and sometimes leaders during ceremonies nowadays.

“You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength”

- Marcus Aurelius
Mark Donevan

PostPosted: Fri 12 Feb, 2010 8:31 pm    Post subject: ....................         Reply with quote

i would go with a short single hand cut and thruster. black or brown leather to match what ever case i was using that dat at work...

but honestly even if they did allow swords to be carried around.. i wouldnt, i enjoy being somewhat peaceful but mostly most all girls would think im a total dork!! lol only my close friends even know i like swords.. so shhh dont tell anyone

for the Horde!!
C. Stringer

PostPosted: Fri 12 Feb, 2010 9:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wonderful question. I would would to be able to carry a sword around with me. I would probably carry a longsword or, if I owned one, the sword shown below, made by my favorite sword smith Peter Johnsson. Heh heh, I'm not sure how to stick the image in with this text, so I attached it to this post instead...computers confuse me...

Attachment: 22.25 KB
brescia01.jpg

Nothing Gold can stay...so let us wait for the coming day...
Gottfried P. Doerler

PostPosted: Sat 13 Feb, 2010 10:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

there`s nothing like a rapier. I´d carry one. a swept hilt rapier.

swift, deadly and ageless genteel.
Nate C.

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 13 Feb, 2010 12:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Something like this katzbalger with pricker & by-knife. Or a hunting messer + kit. Utility, compact size and effective in a variety of situations.

Cheers,

Nate C.

Sapere Aude
"If you are going to kill the man, at least give him a decent salute." - A. Blansitt

If they ever come up with a Swashbuckling School, I think one of the courses should be Laughing, then Jumping Off Something. --Jack Handy
Jean-Carle Hudon

PostPosted: Sat 13 Feb, 2010 1:00 pm    Post subject: schiavonna         Reply with quote

Out of the swords I already own, I would go with my Schiavonna, by Cervenka. I like the thought of a steel fist when the distance has been cut down, and a blade that has presence, but still enough dexterity.
My other choice , in weapons I don't yet own, would go to Arms&Armor's #192 town guard's sword.

Bon coeur et bon bras
B. Stark
Industry Professional

Reading list: 11 books

PostPosted: Sat 13 Feb, 2010 1:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Likely a saxon Type L with a Geibig 2 or 3 blade about 34" OAL. More or less thr Albion Thegn.
"Wyrd bi∂ ful aræd"
Tom King

PostPosted: Sat 13 Feb, 2010 6:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Probably a cross between a Messer and a viking langsaxe, so a viking motifed messer (shorter crossguard and possibly a lobed pommel instead of a scale grip) And in Florida sword carrying is legal unless you "brandish" then its a misdimeanor >.< statute 790.10
Frances Perry
Industry Professional

Reading list: 10 books

PostPosted: Sun 14 Feb, 2010 8:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I prefer plain rather than any decoration – practicality before ornamentation.

Probably something I could handle without problem in a small area, such as:

Russian Kindjal (1907)

Or a slightly altered Ram Dao (sacrificial sword).

Paired with a buckler of boiled leather and steel boss (so it weighs less), and:

Indian (Bagh Nakh) Tiger claw:

And a Katar or rondel dagger as last line of defense.

“In these modern times, many men are wounded for not having weapons or knowledge of their use.”
- Achille Marozzo, 1536
Marko Susimetsa

PostPosted: Sun 14 Feb, 2010 9:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd love to carry around the Gustav Vasa Rapier, but given that I drive a car frequently, it would get in the way much too much in daily use. So, I'd take it along for special occasions, but would wear a sidesword of some type for daily use.
Pauli Vennervirta

PostPosted: Sun 14 Feb, 2010 12:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My choise for everyday wear, maybe also to formal events:

This douple loop hilt is my all time favourite smallsword, so simple and elegant. Wish I could own something like this one day.

For those days when when trouble is to be expected:
Paul Watson

PostPosted: Sun 14 Feb, 2010 2:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If this was the case and there was a real need to openly carry a sword then nothing would say don't messer with me like the Albion Knecht.
I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, but that which it protects. (Faramir, The Two Towers)
L. Clayton Parker

PostPosted: Sun 14 Feb, 2010 6:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am hardly as expert as many of the other people who have replied,But I am going to take a bit of a contrarian view anyway.

First let us examine your question, IF the government of your country decided to allow citizens to carry swords in public then I would have to make a few assumptions:

A) Some people would carry swords for decoration
B) Some people would carry them for protection
C) Some people would carry them with the INTENT to use them

For the purposes of establishing my position, the people in category A do not count, and for most purposes, unless I myself am in category C then B does not count either. So that leaves C.

If I were in category B and worried about confronting category C, I would want the best sword for combat that I was capable of using. Since it is unlikely that I would be facing assailants carrying short swords, those are right out. I would want something that lent itself to a multitude of styles, capable of both offense and defense and with good reach.

Personally I think a light longsword or heavy rapier would be the better choice. Besides, I have always been partial to the Dresden Rapier ( http://www.myArmoury.com/swor_aa_dres.html ) Big Grin and it fits my reasoning nicely!

They all hold swords, being expert in war: every man hath his sword upon his thigh, because of fear in the night. -The Song of Songs, Which Is Solomon's

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > If you could wear any sword you want, what would it be?
Page 4 of 5 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: