Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Real Medieval Music - a different posting! Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Dustin Faulkner

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 03 Feb, 2010 2:53 pm    Post subject: Real Medieval Music - a different posting!         Reply with quote

Hello Everyone:

I wanted to share with you a nice musical experience I had back in December. I had the opportunity to hear a Grammy award winning performer sing several medieval songs inside a stone Episcopol church. His name is Dr. Jay White. He was accompanied by a Dr. Craig Resta who played an instrument called the Vielle. The only other instrument was a particular bell rung by Dr. White at certain moments. This duo is called "Bernardus."

These are secular love songs from the 11th, 12th, and 13th centuries - not the religious chants one usually thinks of from these time periods eventhough I like those too. It was an enlightening cultural experience to hear this music performed. I will probably never hear it again - at least not live. Medieval readings were performed by a fine, older English lady between each song. Her accent really added to the concert. I think the songs are performed in French.

Below, I share with everyone a website address that has three of the nine songs I heard. The performance I attended was better than what is heard here, but I'm splitting hairs. Unfortunately, the ends of each sing are cut-off for some reason. But you still get the essence of the experience I had. Another song from Dr. White's website is also included only because it is from the medieval/rennaisance period too. It is "De mon triste Desplaisir" by Richfort (1480 - 1547) with a harp and recorders ( I think). Unfortunately, no CD is available of this music that I know of. Why? I do not know.

I really do hope you enjoy this musical time capsule - especially the European members of myArmoury.com. It is not the "cheesy" hippy-like flute stuff I've heard at Rennaisance Faires. These songs are the real thing. I am amazed any of this music has been preserved - let alone performed authentically. If you have a chance to see Bernardus, by all means go see them.

This is not the usual kind of posting, but I hope everybody enjoys it. I certainly appreciated the skill and depth Dr. White brings to this genre.

http://www.reverbnation.com/bernardus

http://www.jgwhite.net/JWhiteRichafort.mp3

Sincerely,
Dustin Faulkner
Boerne, Texas
USA

DUSTIN FAULKNER
Julian Reynolds

PostPosted: Wed 03 Feb, 2010 4:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dustin,

The vielle is more commonly known in the english speaking world as a hurdy gurdy. There is a large gathering of gurdyists every year in its traditional home of the Auvergne region, in France, but it was widespread throughout europe and is still extensively played here.

One of its better english exponents, Steve Tyler of the mediaeval music ensemble Misericordia, was until recently a resident of Brancepeth Castle just down the lane from where I live here in the NE of England, and regularly played there and at venues across the UK and Europe, including at the Hurdy Gurdy festivals in the UK and France. Misericordia, now sadly disbanded, performed music from the period, accompanied by the soprano Helen Barber, singing in mediaeval English, French and also Occitan.

The 'authentic' mediaeval music scene here in the UK (and the rest of Europe) is vibrant and gaining in popularity (along with many other forms of traditional music). Long may this trend continue!

I'm very pleased to see it appears to be just as popular over there in the States.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 03 Feb, 2010 7:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Julian Reynolds wrote:
Dustin,

The vielle is more commonly known in the english speaking world as a hurdy gurdy. There is a large gathering of gurdyists every year in its traditional home of the Auvergne region, in France, but it was widespread throughout europe and is still extensively played here.

Most folks in the early music field these days use the term vielle for an instrument that's a bowed string instrument predecessor of the violin. In some place in the fifteenth century the term vielle referred to the hurdy gurdy, though the term is more correctly the "vielle a roue" when referring to the hurdy gurdy.

I only know that because one of my doctoral classes this term is covering medieval and renaissance instrumental music. Happy

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Sean Manning

PostPosted: Wed 03 Feb, 2010 9:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the link. I'd never heard of that band.

I also like an album of Italian Renaissance music by Piffaro, “Trionfo d’ Amore e della Morte” (available on iTunes).

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Real Medieval Music - a different posting!
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic