Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Albion Baron Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Scott H.

PostPosted: Mon 26 Jul, 2004 11:17 am    Post subject: Albion Baron         Reply with quote

Hello everyone!!

Well I received my Baron the other day and I just gotta say WOW!! It's mine, mine, mine, all mine!!! Razz
I LOVE this sword! I must admit that this is my first real european sword but heck, you know quality when you see it.
(Or swing it around like a fool, as in my case). I also know now how much I don't know about proper swordsmanship. I always thought it was pretty straightforward, swing at something, and it splits in two. I'm finding that it's not quite that simple. There's always a new horizon to quest for in this love affair with swords. And that's just fine with me as I'm here to stay.

Here's a question for all of you... As I've been showing friends and family my new swords they inevitably (even after cautioning) run their fingers over the blade's edge to test sharpness. Is this dulling the blade every time? I know I need to oil it right away but is this truly affecting the sharpness?

Thanks in advance, and WOO HOO!! I want 'em ALL! MORE, MORE, MORE!!!

Scott
R. Laine

PostPosted: Mon 26 Jul, 2004 11:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations on the Baron! Happy I wish my financial situation allowed for buying one...

You can rest assured people running their fingers on the edge won't dull the edge.

Rabbe
Alexi Goranov
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

Reading list: 72 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 26 Jul, 2004 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: baron         Reply with quote

Scott H. wrote:
Hello everyone!!

Here's a question for all of you... As I've been showing friends and family my new swords they inevitably (even after cautioning) run their fingers over the blade's edge to test sharpness. Is this dulling the blade every time? I know I need to oil it right away but is this truly affecting the sharpness?

Scott

Welcome to the "Baron" club Laughing Out Loud

Touching the edge should not dull it (provided it does not rust). The reason I say this is that if a touch dulls it, what will happen to it after few cuts into appropriate medium!!!! The edges are designed for a balance between edge retention and cutting ability, so it should take some serious use to dull the edges on the sword. I will not recommend figuring out exactly how MUCH use it will take to dull it Big Grin

Enjoy your new "toy". I know I am....

Alexi
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Mon 26 Jul, 2004 2:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Scott,

I am very pleased you are happy with your sword. May it serve you happily for many years.

Actually, touching a fine honed edge on a carbon steel blade will dull it. Not much, but still. It will lose the very finest aspect of its sharpness. If this bothers you, it is good to avoid this or take precautions. Depending on the composition of the hand sweat of those touching it the dulling effect can happen slowly or quickly. Some people seem to have something like acid in their fingerprints...

A cabinet maker knows very well never to touch a newly honed chisel. You test the final sharpness of wood working tools with your nails (or by cutting hair or similar), never by touch.
It is both because of safety, but also since it negates the fine edge youŽve just worked to put on your tool.

On a sword this sharpness is less acute and much less sensetive, but you will notice the dulling effect after some time.
When I bring swords along for demonstrations I always have to touch up on the edges afterwards since almost every one have problems stopping themselves from touching the edge. IŽve stopped telling people not to. It seems to bring them such satisfaction and I can always resharpen the blade: It only takes one or two strokes with a stone or a leather strop. After a demo with some 50 persons attending and handling the swords with sweaty hands, they will be marked by the experience (the swords, I mean)

By the way, ever seen a Japanese swordsman finger the edge of his sword to test its sharpness?
Everyone seem to know that fingering a katana might ruin the polish.
The shaprness of sword is as sensetive (If it is finely honed) even if the blade is not as polished as an art grade katana.

After youŽve had your sword shown around and/or after a cutting session, wipe the blade down with an oil dampened peice of cloth.
It is good to have one at hand when you show the sword to people.
Seeing you using a clean peice of fine cloth to wipe of fingerprints can often inspire a more attentive attitude in people when they are handling your fine sword.

Do not let this become a major concernt to you. Your sword will take a lot of handling and cutting. It is only good to know that fingering the edge will actually cause it to loose some of its bite if it is done too frequently.

If you want to keep your sword in the best biting sharpness, you should avoid touching the edge.
If this is not possible (and Iknow from own experience it is very difficult not to), then be prepared to do some maintenance once in a while.This is not complicated or difficult. A fine oil-stone or a flat peice of wood with leather glued to it will do excellent service in keeping the edges keen and sharp.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 26 Jul, 2004 3:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter,
That's great information; thanks for posting it. I've been cutting some pool noodles lately. Will these dull the blade, too? If so, how easy is it to touch the edge up with a leather strop? I've never used a strop before, is it easy to use?

Thanks!

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 26 Jul, 2004 3:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Scott,
Welcome to the baron club! You're bought yourself quite a sword. I really dig mine.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
J.G. Grubbs

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Mon 26 Jul, 2004 3:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations, Scott!

UPS says mine is scheduled for delivery tomorrow..all the great feedback I've been reading on the Baron has made the waiting infinitely worse! LOL

Regards,

"The reputation of a thousand years may be determined by the conduct of one hour."
Samurai Proverb

James Grubbs
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Mon 26 Jul, 2004 3:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations Scott, you're now the owner of possibly *the* finest type XIIa on the production market.

I know that mine is one of my faves. Couldn't tell that by reading my review could you Big Grin

Just about any contact will dull the edge to a certain degree. Most mediums, including fingers, will dull the edge if even a little. This isn't a big reason for concern since these are tools that are designed for use. Just show your sword the right amount of care and it should last for many years.

Enjoy!

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 26 Jul, 2004 4:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Peter,
That's great information; thanks for posting it. I've been cutting some pool noodles lately. Will these dull the blade, too? If so, how easy is it to touch the edge up with a leather strop? I've never used a strop before, is it easy to use?

Thanks!

Hi Chad,

No problem. You can cut pool noodles for a very long time with no discernible dulling. It is the acid effect of fingerprints that is doing the dulling. Keep the blade clean and olied and there is no problem.

It was only after some hesitation I wrote that last message. I was afraid there will now be rumors that Albion swords do not even stand up to touching the edge! Surprised Wink Big Grin
The truth is it is the same with any quality kitchen knife or tool. (A tool of lesser quality donŽt have that kind of sharpness to start with, so no trouble...)
If the tool *is* sharp you do not need to test this with your finger all the time. If you do that too much it will eventually not be as sharp any more.
My father told me that as a kid, and it is good advice.

To my experience, cutting with a sword cause less dulling than fingering the edge.
You can finger the edge quite a bit before the edge turns really dull, but it will grow dull, little by little.
It is just good to be aware of this. My reconstruction of the Sword of Svante Nilsson used to be sharp. It is not any more. I would guess a few hundred people have tested the edge for sharpness with their fingers and I have grown tired of restoring the ede.
Ancient swords are seldom very sharp, just because of minute corrosion of the edge. The fineness of the edge makes it more sensitive than the rest of the blade.

Using the sword in cutting, using any reasonable media, will not harm the blade in any way. They are built to be used. If the media is scratchy, then youŽll just have to work a little more to restore the surface (if you want to). If the media is less abrasive, the maintenance and clean up after cutting is minimal.

Keep the blade oiled and try avoid touching the edge too often and youŽll be fine.
Alexi Goranov
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

Reading list: 72 books

PostPosted: Mon 26 Jul, 2004 4:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Great info, Peter!

Another one of my preconceptions dispelled. That was useful.

Can you elaborate on using the leather (what kind) to touch-up the edges once in a while.

Thanks,

Alexi
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 26 Jul, 2004 4:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh sorry, forgot:
-using a leather strop.
This is really easy actually.
It takes a moment or two of practice and youŽll know how to do it.
I am working to put together my web-site and there will be articles of various topics. I think sword maintenance will have to be one of these topics.
It is easy to describe how to use a strop to restore the sharpness in a blade, but I need to use drawings. CanŽt do that right now, sorry.

Can we return to this later?
(... also not to hijack this thread.)

Again: congratualtions to your sword, Scott. May it stay sharp and biting in your hands! Wink Big Grin
Scott H.

PostPosted: Mon 26 Jul, 2004 4:17 pm    Post subject: baron         Reply with quote

Thank you Peter!

I had my suspicions about this because the edge did seem to lose just a bit of bite. (Yes, I TOO am guilty of checking it that way) Blush And thank you for reminding me of using a fingernail. I used to practice that care with blades, but like most good habits, it was easy to break. I also like the idea of having my oil cloth handy right there so people see the care I'm taking. You, sir, are a wealth of knowledge. Wink

Rabbe, Alexi, Chad - thanks guys for the welcoming!

James - I know how you feel. I think I left permanent marks on my front window waiting for the package. And when it came I was like a kid at Christmas! Big Grin

Patrick - You're my idol. I envy your long experience in collecting and carousing with all of these makers. You must be very proud of your collection. Speaking of, if you ever look out your window to find an army of rent-a-ninjas storming your place, give me a call. I may be in Chicago, but you've got a friend here who's got a BIG sword!!

Thanks again guys! Have a great one!

Scott
Gary Grzybek

PostPosted: Mon 26 Jul, 2004 4:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congradulations on your new Baron!

I know I love mine too Big Grin

Gary Grzybek
ARMA Northern N.J.
www.armastudy.org
Scott H.

PostPosted: Mon 26 Jul, 2004 4:29 pm    Post subject: baron         Reply with quote

Thanks Gary!

Being in ARMA you're somebody I should be talking to as well. You probably know how to swing that Baron around pretty well without lopping off an ear. Happy

I can't wait to start learning some techniques so I don't look like such a spaz!
LOL

Scott

Last edited by Scott H. on Wed 28 Jul, 2004 4:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
J.G. Grubbs

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Mon 26 Jul, 2004 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: baron         Reply with quote

Scott H. wrote:
James - I know how you feel. I think I left permanent marks on my front window waiting for the package. And when it came I was like a kid at Christmas! Big Grin

Scott

LOL...Yeah, I'm checking the tracking about every hour it seems....Its about 90 miles away by last update ( but actually has traveled 90 past my location to get there before heading back here,,,,,go figure!)

"The reputation of a thousand years may be determined by the conduct of one hour."
Samurai Proverb

James Grubbs
Amy Christensen-Waddell
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 28 Jul, 2004 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: baron         Reply with quote

Scott H. wrote:
Hello everyone!!

Well I received my Baron the other day and I just gotta say WOW!! It's mine, mine, mine, all mine!!! Razz
I LOVE this sword! I must admit that this is my first real european sword but heck, you know quality when you see it.
(Or swing it around like a fool, as in my case). I also know now how much I don't know about proper swordsmanship. I always thought it was pretty straightforward, swing at something, and it splits in two. I'm finding that it's not quite that simple. There's always a new horizon to quest for in this love affair with swords. And that's just fine with me as I'm here to stay.

Scott

Hi Scott!

I'm thrilled that you're enjoying your Baron. Nothing like a new sword to make a day a bit brighter. :-)

As to the running of fingers... I find the same thing. But I'd like to add that it can very easily cut fingers. I'm sure you know that, but I hear that and it worries me... I have production staff here who can attest to the sharpness. We practically have a standing account with the local clinic for stitching services... And our guys know what they're doing! Accidents still happen, and the edges of these swords can be wicked sharp, even if they don't always look like it. So if you can bump up your "don't touch the edges" warning with something like, "unless you want to lose a finger," it might make them think twice. Or, as they display at some of the sword shows... "You bleed on it, you buy it." :-)

Have fun with it!
Amy

Amy Waddell
President/CEO
Albion Swords Limited, LLC

I wrote to the FBI to see if they had a file on me. They wrote back, "we do now..."

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Albion Baron
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic