Stage Combat Saber
Does anyone know of somewhere I could get a good stage combat saber that I could(preferably) use for Italian fencing(Renaissance or Baroque)? I think that the Model 1860 Light Cavalry Saber(Based of off a french saber from the 1500s) from Depeeka might work, but I think I might be able to find a better one. Note, I'm looking for something relatively cheap, under $150, but still stage combat ready.
Hi Andrew,
Just to clarify, are you looking for a sword specifically for stage combat that happens to also work for historical fencing, or are you looking for a sword that is specifically for historical fencing? I ask because, while there are swords that can be in the middle, the best ones are purpose made for one or the other.

I would recommend the sabres produced by Darkwood Armory. They are excellent fencing blades that will probably work well enough to stage use. Since Darkwood Armory can do custom jobs, you can probably commission a hilt that is based off of an actual weapon (the current line up has hilts that are based off of original practice swords).

http://www.darkwoodarmory.com/
Yeah, I'm looking for one in the middle, made for stage combat, but can also be used for historical fencing. Something more like a historical sabre then a modern fencing sabre. I say that because I've seen modern fencing sabres titled things like "Historical Fencing Sabre" or "16th Century Sabre" when in actuality they have a modern blade and modern hilt.

EDIT:I can't find any sabres on Dark Wood
Look at Military heritage swords - http://www.militaryheritage.com/swords.htm -

They are significantly heavier than the real thing. I'd say they are reasonably durable, though I'm not sure that they will hold up forever in the hard life of a stage combat sword. They generally cost $100.00 more than what you want to pay.. However, at your $150.00 price I don't think you will find anything that isn't a crowbar or something that will soon shatter.
Re: Stage Combat Saber
Andrew Howe wrote:
Does anyone know of somewhere I could get a good stage combat saber that I could(preferably) use for Italian fencing(Renaissance or Baroque)? I think that the Model 1860 Light Cavalry Saber(Based of off a french saber from the 1500s) from Depeeka might work, but I think I might be able to find a better one. Note, I'm looking for something relatively cheap, under $150, but still stage combat ready.

Hi Andrew,
I am most curious about the historical French sabre from 1500s. could you post some info about the piece? As far as Italian fencing and sabres go , there does not seem to be a proper "sabre work" from the 16-17 centuries, albeit there are some bits and pieces in the work of Francesco Marcelli... Steve Reich would be the man to speak to. Another thing to consider is the historical authenticity you want to achieve in stage combat. IIRC The people of that period that carried sabres in the Ren-Baroque Italy were mostly of Albanian-Greek extraction serving as Light Cavalry (Stradioti), that had their own customs , religion and distinctive garb.

Regards
I think 1500s is a typo and was meant to be 1800s. The US M1860 was based on French cavalry swords (the M1822?).
I'm not looking for a permanent sword, I'm looking for somethig that I can train with that is more realistic then a waster. I haven't had much practice, but my theroretical training is mainly in curved, single edged, and flame swords, and since sabre deems the cheapest that would fit into that category, and I'm looking for an Eastern(German is as far west as I'll go, for now) European sword(So a kris is out of the question), tha seems like the best choice. If you have any other suggestions, please speak up.

Yeah, I know I chose the less common route for my studies.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: