Oakeshott type?
I'm curious what Oakeshott type a typical falchion is?
Anyone know?
Hey Andrew, I think you are a bit mistaken here Ewart Oakeshott did not include falchions in his typology of medieval swords. In fact as far as I know nobody has tried to classify these weapons.
That explains why I wasn't able to find the classifacation. From what it seems, he didn't classify an single edge or curved blades.
Did you read our featured article on Ewart Oakeshott? It explains the subject in detail as well as his typology of the medieval sword. It covers the intentions behind the typology and its intended limitations.

[ Linked Image ]
Oakeshott: The Man and his Legacy
An article by myArmoury.com

Having said that, he does discuss flachions outside his standard typography of the medieval sword in European Weapons and Armour: From the Renaissance to the Industrial Revolution.
Nathan Robinson wrote:
Did you read our featured article on Ewart Oakeshott? It explains the subject in detail as well as his typology of the medieval sword. It covers the intentions behind the typology and its intended limitations.

[ Linked Image ]
Oakeshott: The Man and his Legacy
An article by myArmoury.com

Having said that, he does discuss flachions outside his standard typography of the medieval sword in European Weapons and Armour: From the Renaissance to the Industrial Revolution.

Of course, it has to be the one book they don't have at my library.
Andrew Howe wrote:
Nathan Robinson wrote:
he does discuss flachions outside his standard typography of the medieval sword in European Weapons and Armour: From the Renaissance to the Industrial Revolution.

Of course, it has to be the one book they don't have at my library.

Fantastic book and well worth owning, but it does only briefly mention the falchion.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: