Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Best spangenhelm Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Tom King

PostPosted: Thu 28 Jan, 2010 8:48 pm    Post subject: Best spangenhelm         Reply with quote

Does anyone know of good spangenhelms for sale? $100 or less 14-18 gauge. An aventails a plus.
Robert S. Haile

PostPosted: Thu 28 Jan, 2010 9:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello there.

A spangenhelm shouldn't have an aventail attached to it, to my knowledge. At least not an aventail in the sense I'm familiar with. I believe GDFB makes a few Spangenhelms, but probably not for less than a hundred dollars...and they tend to be the most economical armor source that is decent.
Eric Allen

PostPosted: Thu 28 Jan, 2010 9:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I might be able to hook you up. How big is your head?
Gregory J. Liebau

PostPosted: Thu 28 Jan, 2010 11:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robert S. Haile wrote:
A spangenhelm shouldn't have an aventail attached to it, to my knowledge.

There are many dozens of Germanic spangenhelms that have been uncovered that show both the use of aventails and the lack thereof. Most surviving examples range from the 4th-8th centuries, and are Germanic in origin. I am no expert in the study of Spangenhelms, but I know that particular helms from the Yorkish site of Coppergate, Vendel and Valsgarde sites all show evidence of or clearly have aventails.

A couple of Eastern European helmets with aventails and an example or two of those mentioned above can be seen in this thread...

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...p;start=22

My Flickr Galleries - Travel, Nature & Things
Robert S. Haile

PostPosted: Thu 28 Jan, 2010 11:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gregory J. Liebau wrote:
Robert S. Haile wrote:
A spangenhelm shouldn't have an aventail attached to it, to my knowledge.

There are many dozens of Germanic spangenhelms that have been uncovered that show both the use of aventails and the lack thereof. Most surviving examples range from the 4th-8th centuries, and are Germanic in origin. I am no expert in the study of Spangenhelms, but I know that particular helms from the Yorkish site of Coppergate, Vendel and Valsgarde sites all show evidence of or clearly have aventails.

A couple of Eastern European helmets with aventails and an example or two of those mentioned above can be seen in this thread...

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...p;start=22

Learn something new every day. I've seen those before, but never connected it with the term aventail for some reason.
Nathan Gilleland

PostPosted: Fri 29 Jan, 2010 5:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't know about the historical accuracy of these helmets, but they are within your price range. They seem to be of a heavier gauge steel. Welded down the center (visible on the inside), and you will need to attach your own lining. But the Norman is still one of my favorite helmets that I own.

http://greathistorygifts.com/showitemlist.asp?category=274

Anyone have any experience with these people? I was impressed by their prompt service, and for the price-point, the products seemed high end to me.

Seek Honor before Wealth,
Truth before Honor,
God Before all
Matthew Amt

PostPosted: Fri 29 Jan, 2010 6:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eek, sorry, none of those spangenhelms looks very accurate to me! The plainer "Norman" one comes closest. Better bet would be Mercenary's Tailor, at a guess.

Hey, Gregory, just to banter semantics, the Valsgarde/Vendel helmets are *not* spangenhelms, but ridge helmets! Good evidence for the use of mail drapes, though.

Matthew
Gregory J. Liebau

PostPosted: Fri 29 Jan, 2010 7:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matthew Amt wrote:
Hey, Gregory, just to banter semantics, the Valsgarde/Vendel helmets are *not* spangenhelms, but ridge helmets!

I'd been curious about this before, actually. When I was looking at an image of one of the Vendel helmets just last night I thought to myself whether or not it would appropriate to post it as evidence here because of their construction method. I'd never heard a different term used for them, though.

I am fully aware that ridge helmets are of the same style as those used by Roman soldiers throughout the late Empire and understand why these later Swedish helmets fall into that category. Interesting to have it noted, though, or I probably never would have thought of it...

In any case, aye, the evidence still stands that aventails were around, if not popular, during the Germanic era after the empire! Big Grin

-Gregory

My Flickr Galleries - Travel, Nature & Things

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Best spangenhelm
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic