Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > My first Maciejowski /Morgan Blade (Fabri Armorum, CZ) Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Alex Hoogstraten

PostPosted: Thu 21 Jan, 2010 3:48 am    Post subject: My first Maciejowski /Morgan Blade (Fabri Armorum, CZ)         Reply with quote

Hello there,

First I want to thank the people of this forum for providning me all the wonderfull information regarding the Maciejowski /Morgan blades.

Some months ago I was browsing the 14th century 'Romance de Alexander' and found this weapon. It is very rare for me to find a weapon and want it right away, but somehow I really wanted it. For practical reasons I shall call this one the 'Alexander'. I myself own my name from the same man. For that all the more for me.

I don't like to order weapon online. Usually I like to hold a weapon before I buy it. However the Alexander was never reproduced as for as I know. So I appproced the only man I deem worthy of fullfilling my wish for a decent price.

I send a mail to Jiri Krondac, the man behind 'Fabri Armorum'. I see him each year on diffrent events. price/quality related he makes the finest blades in my book. There are plenty of better, more expensive vendors out there, but this is the man for my budget. I send him the image of the Alexander, and this is the result.

Was it worth it? HELL YES IT WAS!!!

The rest of my collection for refrence. All of these are Fabri Armorum. My axe, mace and polearms are from different vendors.

As you can see Jiri did leave his own mark on it, but I am not dissappointed. The Alexander is handeling better than I expected. I thought it would be heavy, unbalanced and unwieldy. Yes it feels heavy but it does what I want it to do. The balance feels great for a weapon this heavy. My only concern is that in sparring this my cause a hinderns bacause I must hold back for safety reasons. But than again, I didin't buy this weapon for sporting reasons, but it's very form.

The weapon may historicly be a little old fashion for my rol as a nobelman for 1370. The Alexander is from about 1340 (if it existed), but right now I don't give a hoot.

Attachment: 175.5 KB
[ Download ]
Andreas Auer

Reading list: 11 books

PostPosted: Thu 21 Jan, 2010 5:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

hi alex!

Nice blade you got there...i myself am a great Jirifan...:-) we in our group use his blades exclusively for bouting and batteling (if such words exists). Last summer i met his smith Karel personally at an event, and i asked him if he could check through my first sword ever (a light 1,5hand from Jiri - then 6 Years old) which as taken all sorts of heavy abuse (sorry about that my lovely sword). And he answered something like "sure, because we give lifetime guarantee on our swords, bring it to my stand in the evening and i will take care of things." Said and done, half an hour after i brought him my sword he brought it back to me in our camp...what shall i say ...regripped, Cross straitened, blade straitened and all sword cleaned up...and for free(!!!). I could do no other then offer him a few beers :-)

shure his blades are not the lightest and shiniest, but i never saw a saver blade...i never saw a Jiriblade break (and i saw a few other makers blades break).

The secret is,
to keep that pointy end thingy away from you...
Alex Hoogstraten

PostPosted: Fri 22 Jan, 2010 7:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I agree with you. Jiri understands his costumers very well. The points are neatly rounded. His lines of swords are very practical and the balance is very good for the price. Even people how are used to english quality swords are often impressed by the balance and feel of his swords. His only downside that his steel isn't very hard, so the edge needs a lot of maintenance. Thats why I am still a little hesitant to spar with my new blade..

......and his english is not that good Wink

www.cranenburgh.nl
Andreas Auer

Reading list: 11 books

PostPosted: Mon 25 Jan, 2010 6:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alex Hoogstraten wrote:
......and his english is not that good Wink

right...his German neither...but never got one order wrong... Wink

Andreas

The secret is,
to keep that pointy end thingy away from you...
Paul Hansen

PostPosted: Mon 25 Jan, 2010 11:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very interesting choice Alex! And a an interesting choice in maker too. I have lusted after a simple single hander from him for a few years now, but since I'm not part of any regular training group, I haven't been able to justify the purchase... If I meet him at some event, I'd probably buy one anyway... Happy

But to be honest I didn't know he was up for completely custom orders. I knew you could get some customisation, but not a complete custom, and certainly not something as out of the box like this. Very good to know indeed!
Keith L. Rogers

PostPosted: Mon 25 Jan, 2010 11:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Since I've seen the M. bible folios, I've wondered if there are any surviving examples of the sword you had made. Could they have been broken ones somewhat reshaped? In any case, 10/10 for that unique commission.
Alex Hoogstraten

PostPosted: Mon 25 Jan, 2010 12:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

@ keith. Thanks. I am quiet proud of it myself.

@Paul. when you come across his tent somewhere you'd at least want to hold some of them. You have to be quick thou. His best swords are sold very early during an event. The balance and feel of his swords can differ greatly. Some of my fellow members went to him moments after arriving when he was just done unpacking to get the best of his weapons (grins).
As for custom makes. I ordered greaves and polyes prior to that, also custom. Send him an image, drawing or photo and all will be fine.

www.cranenburgh.nl

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > My first Maciejowski /Morgan Blade (Fabri Armorum, CZ)
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic