Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Custom type X from A&A Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Sun 09 Mar, 2008 10:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tim, that is One Gorgeous Viking Sword Exclamation As most know, I've done a lot of business with Arms & Armor, for which I have several reasons, which are as follows:

Arms & Armor strives to be historically accurate, replicas are from original museum pieces and private collections and in their "standard production" line, these swords are created so as to adhere to the original sword while perhaps for instance doing the blade profile with a flat diamond cross section to keep costs down. Although, keep in mind, if a customer wants to order a standard production sword and have it done exacting to the original as I understand it in most cases this can be done, but the price will also be higher.
Another thing I like about Arms & Armor is that they are true to historical swords in that little details like the opening of the crossguard is not exacting to the blade profile, as was the case in medieval swords, they too were not exacting to the blade profile Exclamation
Then there is the issue of price. With Arms & Armor I am getting a top shelf quality production sword that is historically accurate and for "my" financial means is still affordable and easier condoned by my wife! Laughing Out Loud

I do have a couple of Albions and I Love them to no end, neither are at the lower end price wise either, one is the Berserkr and the other is the Vassal, the latter being my favorite one handed sword! I am chomping at the bit to buy the Valkyrja, but if I do that right now, well, send me your condolences Laughing Out Loud ! Cause I'm in Big Trouble with the Mrs. LOL

I've met Mark and his brother from Ollin Blades in person and I have wielded a couple of their swords, even cutting jugs with them. Their swords are superb in quality! I have just not "yet" ordered a sword from them. I told Mark, face to face, that in my opinion, he was born to be a swordsmith and that I found him to be very humble for a man who is so talented Exclamation
I was extremely impressed with both brothers, they are Fine Men!

The grip is outstanding and I love the color, as soon as I saw the photograph is kind of shouted "WOW" and my wife wondered what in the hell was I so excited about, so I showed her and she said "WOW" too! As most know by now, she too is a bit of a sword enthusiast and right now she's in love with her new German Rapier and Parrying Dagger from
Arms & Armor that I bought her as a Birthday / Christmas gift.

Outstanding Type X!

Bob

It IS What It IS! Only In Truth, Can Reality Exist!
To "Learn" we must empty our minds and therefore open our mind and spirit. A wet sponge absorbs no water. A preconceived mind is recalcitrant to new knowledge!
Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 12 Mar, 2008 9:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, this sword arrived today. It is perfect! It feels great. The leather on the grip is very soft so holding the sword is nice. I'm posting some close ups and some of the sword in hand. I've also posted some of the tip which does have a very slight ridge so I guess it's a flattened diamond.

Attachment: 113.55 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 127.5 KB
[ Download ]
Tim Lison

PostPosted: Wed 12 Mar, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

more

Attachment: 44.82 KB
cross.JPG

Attachment: 32.92 KB
tip.JPG

Attachment: 53.88 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 51.9 KB
[ Download ]
Jason Elrod

Reading list: 38 books

PostPosted: Thu 13 Mar, 2008 2:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Fantastic. I pulled out my copy of "Swords of the Viking Age" to do a little compare and contrast and A&A really nailed the cross on that one. What a wonderful sword you have there. I'm curious as to how close the stats are to the original. Can you give us some lengths?
Tim Lison

PostPosted: Thu 13 Mar, 2008 9:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jason Elrod wrote:
Fantastic. I pulled out my copy of "Swords of the Viking Age" to do a little compare and contrast and A&A really nailed the cross on that one. What a wonderful sword you have there. I'm curious as to how close the stats are to the original. Can you give us some lengths?

My original post has the stats on it. Glad you like it! It's a touch longer than the original, but I suspect that's just because this one has it's point!

Last edited by Tim Lison on Thu 13 Mar, 2008 9:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jason Elrod

Reading list: 38 books

PostPosted: Thu 13 Mar, 2008 3:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tim Lison wrote:
Jason Elrod wrote:

My original post has the stats on it. Glad you like it! It's a touch longer than the original, but I suspect that's just because this was has it's point!

DOH! That's what I get for posting before I've had my first cup of coffee. Thanks.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 07 Jan, 2010 4:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I was just looking at this sword again and thought I'd bump the topic and ask if there are any additional photos of this piece. I'd really like to see more of it. I like it quite a bit.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Thu 07 Jan, 2010 4:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
I was just looking at this sword again and thought I'd bump the topic and ask if there are any additional photos of this piece. I'd really like to see more of it. I like it quite a bit.

Thank you for doing so Nathan. I had forgotten about this particular sword of Tim's truth be know. Just another reason to try and organize a Chicago area get together.

Nice looking sword Tim. I did not see anything about how it handled. Have you had a chance to cut with it yet?

Scott

Chris Landwehr 10/10/49-1/1/09 My Mom
J.D. Crawford

PostPosted: Thu 07 Jan, 2010 7:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan, A&A has some pictures of this sword posted here:

http://www.arms-n-armor.com/custom941.html
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Sat 09 Jan, 2010 3:01 pm    Post subject: Here are some more :-)         Reply with quote

Hi Guys

Here are some more pics I took a few constructional and a couple of finished. Let me know if you have any questions Happy

Best
Craig

Attachment: 51.26 KB
SWDSHSP.jpg
WIth our standard Viking Spear and a custom shield.

Attachment: 28.12 KB
olLSTX.jpg
Overall Shot

Attachment: 52.23 KB
constr002.jpg
Here is the hilt in nearly finished condition.

Attachment: 44.83 KB
constr005.jpg
THis shows the guard just after being punched for the tang.
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Sat 09 Jan, 2010 3:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow Craig, thank you for posting these pictures. Looking at the picture of the original it appears that the guard is ever so slightly curved. Or is that just my imagination?

Once again I have to commend both yourself and the rest of the crew at A&A for creating such great products.

Scott

Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 09 Jan, 2010 3:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congrats to Tim on a fine sword, looks like Tim is my kinda guy. Big Grin

Craig,

Thanks for the additional photos, I always love seeing in progress stuff like that.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Tim Lison

PostPosted: Sat 09 Jan, 2010 9:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Congrats to Tim on a fine sword, looks like Tim is my kinda guy. Big Grin

Patrick- I believe we have some very similar taste when it comes to swords. 9th-11th century, my favorite! Your Peter Johnson type X makes me drool with envy...

Here's a photo of the A&A type X. It's got some friends with it! My Barta and one of my Michael Pikula pieces! I am posting one of it in it's scabbard done by DBK too.

Edit- I always forget something. This sword handles very nicely. It's not quick but has the presence of a longer sword. The grip is a bit small to use a hammer grip but with the pommel, the handshake grip is perfect.

Attachment: 67.28 KB
TLisonA&AXB1024.jpg

Attachment: 84.32 KB
DCP_2888.JPG

J.D. Crawford

PostPosted: Sun 10 Jan, 2010 4:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tim Lison wrote:
Here's a photo of the A&A type X. It's got some friends with it! My Barta and one of my Michael Pikula pieces! I am posting one of it in it's scabbard done by DBK too.

Alright Tim, this is just too much to wake up to on a Sunday morning! My admiration of your collection has officially turned to outright jealousy. And you're not even showing the Anglo-Saxon XI you showed in your Brazil Nut thread. I'm trying to focus my collection on this era, but what is left of my favorite swords that you haven't gotten to already? Wink

There's still one of my favorites that you have not done (I think), and I have asked Craig to do that one for me. If it works out as nice as the jobs he's done for you, I will be in heaven.
Scott Kowalski

PostPosted: Sun 10 Jan, 2010 7:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tim,

Could I bother you for a couple of more measurements on this particular sword? I am interested in the width of the blade at the guard as well as say 2" from the tip?

I also have to compliment you on the group picture. Those three swords look great together.

Regards,
Scott

Brian K.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 10 Jan, 2010 8:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

An impressive blade in my opinion. I was particulalry attracted to the wide fuller, as I'm a sucker for one Cool

It's hard to remember each & every sword that passes through, but this is one of the one's I rememeber as being a piece that said something to me.

Brian Kunz
www.dbkcustomswords.com
Tim Lison

PostPosted: Sun 10 Jan, 2010 9:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J.D.- Thanks for the compliment! I'm sure whatever Craig does will be brilliant. I'm exceited to see pics of whatever it is!

Brian- Thanks for the compliment, love the scabbard!

Scott- Here are some measurements:
Blade length: 30 1/4 inches
Blade width at guard: 2 7/32 inches
Blade width at 12 inches: 2 1/16 inches
Blade width at 18 inches: 1 29/32 inches
Blade width at 24 inches: 1 9/16 inches
Blade length at 28 inches: 1 3/16 inches

It has pretty gentle taper throughout the blade. The wide fuller makes it look wider which I love! Fuller width at the guard is 1 1/16 inches. Pretty darn wide.
Thanks for all your interest in this sword. It is a beauty! Craig is certainly a talented man...
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 10 Jan, 2010 1:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tim that's a great looking group. You've got some very characteristic designs from the era, very cool.
"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Custom type X from A&A
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: