Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Establishing my first sword selection(s) Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Aaron G

PostPosted: Sat 09 Jan, 2010 10:42 pm    Post subject: Establishing my first sword selection(s)         Reply with quote

Hello all, I'm very excited to see a community chock-full of collectors, enthusiasts and eccentrics all in one place! If only I'd known about such forums 10 years ago, I'll be kicking my-self over this for a year I'm sure Razz(don't ask me why I never looked).

Anyways, I've been quite a modest and to be honest uninformed collector. All I have are wall-hangers with the exception of 2 full tang 420ss katana's that could actually be quite dangerous or fun to cut with. Until a few days ago I didn't know half-decent or better high carbon steel swords could be acquired for affordable prices. I've set my eyes on a few, though I can only walk away with 2 at most.

Gen2 Irish Bastard(This is a very attractive design and the handling appears to be just as remarkable. At the top of my list)
DSA Two-Handed Gothic Sword(At the moment the A&A Erbach is not within acceptable price for me, while the DSA is and has a slightly similar look and is just what I'd be looking for in a two-hander.)
VA Practical Longsword(From what I've read this thing is a absolute steal for its overall presentation, It's either this or the Irish Bastard.)
Hanwei Lowlander(I absolutely love the design of this thing and if not for the set-back with the tang I'd definitely be getting it)

Alright, about the Lowlander, I'd be willing to give it a chance if there was any way I could reinforce the tang (besides filling the grip with cement Wink) myself or have someone else do it, humor me. If there is one good reason for me to pick the Practical LS over the Irish Bastard, lay it on me.
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Sat 09 Jan, 2010 11:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you do a search on this site, you will find that the Lowlander is not highly regarded.

If you are looking for a beater, DSA stuff is alright, but in my opinion they are a little too heavy, and they just don't look right.

An alternative in your price range is a CAS/Hanwei Tinker sword. If you want to go up to $400.00, think of the Valiant Signature Kriegschwert. You can see this stuff here - http://www.christianfletcher.com/Christian_Fletcher/Swords.html -

When Kult of Athena gets their website back in action, check there to get these swords at a somewhat lower price
Etienne Hamel

PostPosted: Mon 11 Jan, 2010 9:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

i had the chance to have one of the dsa two handed gothic in hand and that more in the light side for my taste the balance is just great !
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Mon 11 Jan, 2010 11:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you like the A&A Schloss Erbach sword, you should check out the MRL Erbach at MRL or Kult of Athena. I think it's an excellent bargain (although I'm currently butchering mine: http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...ght=erbach ).
-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Aaron G

PostPosted: Mon 11 Jan, 2010 2:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback gents. I went ahead and ordered the DSA I listed but I'm going to wait a litte longer for my second purchase. While the MRL Erbach does seem like a good deal, the DSA appears to be of higher standards and would be unique as I do intend to purchase the A&A Erbach in the future.

Sean, your "hack jobs" seems like quite a fun hobby, that's something I wish I had knowledge of. I do it often with 3D models that could use extra detail(mostly for mount&blade), while it's hardly the same thing I can see why you enjoy it, I know I would.
JE Sarge
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 11 Jan, 2010 4:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'll give a nod for the Valiant Practical Series, but you would find the Hanwei-Tinkers of good quality for the money as well. Good luck in your search. Happy
J.E. Sarge
Crusader Monk Sword Scabbards and Customizations
www.crusadermonk.com

"But lack of documentation, especially for such early times, is not to be considered as evidence of non-existance." - Ewart Oakeshott

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Establishing my first sword selection(s)
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic