I need help Identifiying this sword and dagger
Hi,

My family recently received this sword and dagger from my grandma, and I was put in charge of identifying it (not for selling purposes, just so that we would know what it was). I'm pretty sure I was able to identify all the symbols and writings on the pieces, but i'm having a little trouble identifying the models. So any information on the model or the year(s) they made them would be much appreceiated. Thanks.

Here is what I have so far:

Dagger:
- side of blade: GEORG RIEDER MUNCHEN (distributor)
- reverse side of blade: "kissing cranes" as seen in picture (Kissing Cranes Knives Company - Robert Klaas factory in Solingen, Germany)
- blade length: 9.5"
- overall length (with sheath on): 15.5"

Sword:
- top of blade: JOS. VIERHEILIGS NACHF (officer's supply dealer)
- side of blade: WK&C, King and Armor stamps (Weyersberg, Kirschbaum, and Cie of Solingen)
- blade length: 31"
- overall length (with sheath on): 37"

No idea where your grandmother got them from, then?

The saber looks like an early 20th century Bavarian artillery sword to me, but my guesses have a tendency to be wrong. I'm sure someone can correct me on that, though.
They both look early 20th century to me, but I don't really know...
No, she doesn't know. Yeah, all I could figure on the sword was it was made sometime between 1883 and 1918, thats when WK&C was active. As far as the dagger, I found a dagger called the "Fireman's Long Bayonet" that kind of looked like the one I have, but I couldn't find one that had the kissing cranes stamp.
The bayonet is shown in several books i've got on WWII German militaria. The Nazis had daggers, swords and bayonets for everything, it was part of the pagentry thing they were into. The bayonet is indeed a firemans dress bayonet, you are missing the leather frog ( belt attachement ) and the sword type knot, known as a portopee that would have come with it.
Thank you Allan, now I at least know what type of bayonet it is. :)
Would you happen to know, or would there be someway I could figure out a possible timeline spacing for when it could have been made?
Matthew Jincks wrote:
Thank you Allan, now I at least know what type of bayonet it is. :)
Would you happen to know, or would there be someway I could figure out a possible timeline spacing for when it could have been made?

The bayonet is a private purchase dress bayonet. They are typically a pre-WW2 item available for enlisted personnel and NCOs. I believe the one is a fireman's bayonet as previously stated.
Ok cool thanks.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: