Valiant Armory Norseman
Does anyone know how well the norseman performs by valiant armory? How good are it's handling characteristics and cutting potential? Also any info on Valiant arms quality in general would also help. Windlass is just to shoddy to buy from anymore.

Attachment: 33.51 KB
54-103_new_viking.jpg

Last edited by Tom King on Thu 31 Dec, 2009 10:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
I can't speak to handling, but something is just not right with the upper and lower guards. They look very chunky and almost chromed. :wtf:
Gavin Kisebach wrote:
I can't speak to handling, but something is just not right with the upper and lower guards. They look very chunky and almost chromed. :wtf:
the swords relatively short, at only 28", which is why it seems so chunky. The hilt and pommel aren't chromed. They're cast out of mild steel where as the blade is carbon steel.
I have to agree with Gavin . The pommel/hilt are a bit excessively oversized and thick. The web site lists the sword as weighing in at 4 lbs 3 oz. This is a bit over weight for a typical viking age blade which usually comes in around 2 1/2 to 3 lbs. If you are looking for a cutter, or for historical accuracy, I would suggest looking at some of the other numerous manufacturers/ smiths here on this site.

Here is the squire line Albion viking age sword. It comes in appx. $100 more than what you would pay for the Valiant sword, and is alot better quality (historical detail, fit, finish)

http://www.albion-swords.com/swords/albion/sq...viking.htm

Look through the reviews on this site and you will be able to locate other suppliers that may interest you.
If windlass is too shoddy, just stay away from the VA base line...at least until sonny gets to redoing the lineup. The VA´s new line up are nice swords for their cost and heads above most windlass, but the base ones are currently a step down. Also the hanwei tinker viking is nice as well.
P. Cha wrote:
If windlass is too shoddy, just stay away from the VA base line...at least until sonny gets to redoing the lineup. The VA´s new line up are nice swords for their cost and heads above most windlass, but the base ones are currently a step down. Also the hanwei tinker viking is nice as well.
I like the tinker hanwei vikings but the blunted versions blade is a turnoff. the sharpened version though hmm ::strokes beard::
I recommend Hanwei Tinker Viking. It is really a great sword, probably best for under $300.
Philip C. Ryan wrote:
The web site lists the sword as weighing in at 4 lbs 3 oz. This is a bit over weight for a typical viking age blade which usually comes in around 2 1/2 to 3 lbs.

4.2 pounds compared to 2.5 - 3 pounds is a lot more than "a bit overweight". :)

It's a factor of 40% - 70% overweight. Ouch.

To be blunt, it's incredibly overbuilt for any "Viking-era" sword. Considering it's only 34.75" long and has a short blade of only 28" long, this is ridiculous.
Luka Borscak wrote:
I recommend Hanwei Tinker Viking. It is really a great sword, probably best for under $300.

I second this recommendation... :)
There are examples of historical Viking swords which do weigh in about 4 lbs (#C777 in Pierce's book, for one)... but make no mistake, these are few and far between, the vast majority weighing in at the above mentioned 2-3 lb mark. And these originals apparently don't handle all that well either (yes, they did make clunkers back in the day. The key is to copy the *good* swords!).
But a sword of the dimensions listed (28 -inch blade)? Four lbs is obese.

Valiant is starting to step up it's lineup, though. Check out VA's newer offerings, especially the new Hedemark sword from the new "signature" line. It's more than a pound lighter than the Norseman, and handles quite well. The already-mentioned Hanwei Tinker Viking is also excellent.
The Norseman is already being redesigned. Gus Trim has shipped the new prototype blade to Christian Fletcher. The overall feel of the sword will be the same but it will be much lighter and much more proper in regards to what the marketplace is looking for. It will should be quite an improvement over the original. We hope to get it released by this summer.

Sonny
Sonny, will it be a historical Petersen type or will the fittings follow the same general look as standard line?
Luka Borscak wrote:
Sonny, will it be a historical Petersen type or will the fittings follow the same general look as standard line?

Christian is trying to keep the overall appearance the same while making the fittings fall in line with historical precedent. Needless to say this sword will be going on a much needed diet. ;)

Sonny
Sonny Suttles wrote:
Luka Borscak wrote:

Christian is trying to keep the overall appearance the same while making the fittings fall in line with historical precedent. Needless to say this sword will be going on a much needed diet. ;)

Sonny

Great, I'm very interested in this sword after it's done with its changes. Thanks.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: