Cut and Thrust Grip Questions
I am planning on changing the wire grip on my Hanwei side sword and I am looking for some advice. Nearly every 16th/17th century side sword I have studied appears to have wire wrapped grips. I would like something a little more plain and utlitarian. Would it be incorrect to do a leather covered grip? I have also considered a simple wooden grip, but I have not seen any originals with this style.
I believe I've seen one with ray skin before.

M.
Re: Cut and Thrust Grip Questions
Paul Mullins wrote:
I am planning on changing the wire grip on my Hanwei side sword and I am looking for some advice. Nearly every 16th/17th century side sword I have studied appears to have wire wrapped grips. I would like something a little more plain and utlitarian. Would it be incorrect to do a leather covered grip? I have also considered a simple wooden grip, but I have not seen any originals with this style.

Hi Paul,
There are tons of leather grips and plain wooden grips (and fancy wooden grips, for that matter) of various styles for swords of the 16th and 17th century, so you don't have to worry there. There's probably more variety of grip styles for this era than in any previous era.

As a side note, the term "cut and thrust sword" is not actually the name of this style of sword (though I realize a lot of modern people use that term). The term "sidesword" is the more accepted modern term. (though truth be told that isn't a period term, either... a more accurate term is "spada da filo" or "edge sword")

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: