Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Help with identifying this knife? Or any other information? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Stanley B. Kittrell

PostPosted: Mon 16 Nov, 2009 5:21 pm    Post subject: Help with identifying this knife? Or any other information?         Reply with quote

This is a knife that my father brought back from the South Pacific in WWII. He served in the U.S. Navy aboard an Auxillary Personnel Destroyer (U.S.S. Crosby APD 17), which transported Marine Raiders. The ship saw action in the Solomon Islands, New Guinea, Phillipines and Okinawa. He carried this knife while in the Navy. I posted pictures of it on the BCUSA forum but no one there could identify it. I thought for years that it was Japanese, but I'm thinking now that it may be from the Philipines, or I guess it could have been made just about anywhere in the South Pacific. It's not really well made, but I've always thought that the shape of the blade is facinating. I can't make out the markings on the blade or the decorations on the blade, which looks to be stamped. Can any of you offer any information on this knife? It's not the highest quality knife, but it is one of my most valued possessions, since it was used by my Dad during the "war".

These are the locations of islands where the ship saw action, if that's any help.
Timo Nieminen

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Tue 17 Nov, 2009 2:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd say Philippines. I've seen various knives with handles and guards like that described as Philippines, early 20th century. Various types of blades, both single and double edged. The style of blade on this one is not unusual for the Philippines - similar in appearance to classic traditional blades such as the talibon.

I haven't seen anything like this that isn't from the Philippines, although some Spanish-American pieces have been not too different.

Don't know much at all about Philippino knives, so can't really add anything more.
Stanley B. Kittrell

PostPosted: Tue 17 Nov, 2009 5:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Timo Nieminen wrote:
I'd say Philippines. I've seen various knives with handles and guards like that described as Philippines, early 20th century. Various types of blades, both single and double edged. The style of blade on this one is not unusual for the Philippines - similar in appearance to classic traditional blades such as the talibon.

I haven't seen anything like this that isn't from the Philippines, although some Spanish-American pieces have been not too different.

Don't know much at all about Philippino knives, so can't really add anything more.

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I appreciate it. This is more information than I've gotten so far, especially the information on the talibon knife and the blade shape.
Paul Hansen

PostPosted: Tue 17 Nov, 2009 9:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I agree, it looks like a Phillipine talibon, with a non-traditional "western" handle.

Nice knife with a lot of history.
Timo Nieminen

PostPosted: Tue 17 Nov, 2009 12:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Maybe almost half of the Philippino knives of this general Westernised type have been "Victory" knives, either made or inscribed to celebrate liberation in 1945. Yours is not, but you're likely to see some if you look for more knives of the type to compare with.

Google image will provide pics of talibons for you. Talibons are usually much larger than your knife, but I think the size is very variable. Mine has a blade of about 12" (sorry, I don't have any photos at the moment).
Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Tue 17 Nov, 2009 4:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Phillippines for sure. I spent 15 months there in 1969 - 1970 and saw hundreds of different style locally-made knives. There are a couple of other threads about smiliar knives on the forum.
Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
Robert Coleman

PostPosted: Tue 17 Nov, 2009 7:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello Stan,
I hate to disagree with the consensus but your knife was not made in the Philippines. Grip is made from cow horn and the wrong shape. Philippine knives would usually have grips made from water buffalo horn or wood., The design stamped into the blade is also wrong for the Philippines. This is a Scorpion tip knife from Mexico. All sorts of knives ended up in the Philippines brought by sailors from other ports and I would guess that is how this knife ended up there for your Dad to pick up. I hope that this is of help.

Robert
Stanley B. Kittrell

PostPosted: Wed 18 Nov, 2009 6:23 am    Post subject: Thank you.         Reply with quote

To Robert Coleman: I want to thank you for solving the mystery of this knife. I've wondered about it since I was a kid. I did a search on ebay and found one exactly like it, except that one had wood handles. You've really made my day and you really know your knives. Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

To the rest of you guys who took the time and effort to respond, thank you too. I appreciate it very much.
Robert Coleman

PostPosted: Wed 18 Nov, 2009 8:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Stan,
Glad to be of assistance.

Robert
Robert Murdock

PostPosted: Wed 01 Jul, 2015 6:55 pm    Post subject: Appreciate any help with this         Reply with quote

Hey there, I have this dagger, I guess it would be? I helped my grandmother clear out one of her storage's. It was found among a handful of Kris swords. I have tried & tried to find out a little more about it, without much success. I'd sure appreciate any help identifying, etc.

Attachment: 413.47 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 342.51 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 417.15 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 480 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 478.61 KB
[ Download ]
Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Thu 02 Jul, 2015 6:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well...I thought the first knife in this thread was Filipino but was told otherwise. This one, however, is marked as Filipino so it seems it was made in the Philippines. If the date on the sheath is accurate then it was made about the time of the Spanish-American War. Other than that cannot I offer any ideas.
Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
Robert Murdock

PostPosted: Thu 02 Jul, 2015 11:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey, thank you for taking time to reply. I had noticed the date, as well as where it says filipinas. That's pretty much all that I have been able to find, though. Tried to google translate the writing where it says ylokana vican, or whatever...recognized it as Slovenian, and didn't offer a translation. I wonder if the date indicates when it was made, or is comemmorative. I am so curious about the history of this thing. My grandmother isn't sure whether it belonged to my grandad, or great grandfather. Both were in the US Navy. Thanks again for taking time to reply, Lin. If anyone has any additional knowledge about this thing, let me know, please!
Timo Nieminen

PostPosted: Thu 02 Jul, 2015 2:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

While the inscription suggest Philippines, it looks more recent than the date.

It's a probably 2nd half of the 20th century factory-made commemorative dagger. Vigan was the capital of the Ilocos Free Republic, established during the Philippine Revolution, end of 1800s.

Factory made knives like this don't get much attention from collectors of Philippine blades.

"In addition to being efficient, all pole arms were quite nice to look at." - Cherney Berg, A hideous history of weapons, Collier 1963.
Robert Murdock

PostPosted: Thu 02 Jul, 2015 3:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks guys, for helpin out with that. Bummer that it's not something real special...always dig the history stuff, though.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Help with identifying this knife? Or any other information?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic